Thistle v Morton

javeajag

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

If Holt encroached into the box, that penalty should have been retaken.

Surely it would only be retaken if a Morton player had encroached and cleared the ball? 

There is literally no question of handball. His hands are nowhere near the ball at any point. He puts it in with his foot. 

Of course if Graham had just put the ball in the back of the net direct from the spot or even rebound there would be no controversy about what happened in the stramash. I do realise that players do miss penalties and that Graham has been a very good signing for us, but i think we need to give somebody else a chance to score from the spot.

I suppose I'm just echoing what most folks are saying. The pitch really hampered us last night and we didn't seem to take account of how bad it was and then to set the team and approach up in light of it being a swamp. I've also been surprised by how much we miss Rudden-even when he wasn't scoring, he was making runs into the box through the defence and rattling the defenders. Graham is clearly just up on his own now and getting not getting the support which Rudden (or someone like Squiddy) would have given. Smith seems to have been given that role but he's not got the pace for that. 

I also agree about Turner-he can really bring mobility and penetration into a game and is, imo, too good an asset to be sitting on the bench.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Of course if Graham had just put the ball in the back of the net direct from the spot or even rebound there would be no controversy about what happened in the stramash. I do realise that players do miss penalties and that Graham has been a very good signing for us, but i think we need to give somebody else a chance to score from the spot.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Quite honestly I'm never confident that Graham will score as his technique is flawed. 1. He always sacrifices accuracy for power. 2. His runup is practically straight. Therefore it's very unlikely that the ball will go to the GK's left (so goalie doesn't need to think too hard) & almost certain that the ball will be at a nice height to save. My nominee would be Turner but, for some reason, he's rarely on the pitch these days.

Sour grapes I know but Jagzone highlights shows a Morton player a yard inside the penalty box before Graham strikes the ball. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

I suppose I'm just echoing what most folks are saying. The pitch really hampered us last night and we didn't seem to take account of how bad it was and then to set the team and approach up in light of it being a swamp. I've also been surprised by how much we miss Rudden-even when he wasn't scoring, he was making runs into the box through the defence and rattling the defenders. Graham is clearly just up on his own now and getting not getting the support which Rudden (or someone like Squiddy) would have given. Smith seems to have been given that role but he's not got the pace for that. 

I also agree about Turner-he can really bring mobility and penetration into a game and is, imo, too good an asset to be sitting on the bench.

I think Tiffoney, to some extent ,covers that Rudden role of runs into the box but was sadly missing last night.

13 minutes ago, Anniesland Jag said:

I think Tiffoney, to some extent ,covers that Rudden role of runs into the box but was sadly missing last night.

Yes, definitely true, AJ. Every time the ball went out on to the right wing, I kept shouting 'Up to Tiff' then remembered he wasn't on. Tiff def provides that running into the box (and most teams can't cope with him) from the wing but I think what Rudden gave us was that penetration into the box through the middle- Squiddy used to do that really well then get the ball through to Doolz, which I think is missing for Graham.  Smith is physical but doesn't seem to have the pace for that role. Turner, for me, has the pace for that Squiddy role but is a bit too light in terms of being able to push through the defence. I'd still have Turner on, though. He's a footballer.

Edited by westertonjagfan

6 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Yes, definitely true, AJ. Every time the ball went out on to the right wing, I kept shouting 'Up to Tiff' then remembered he wasn't on. Tiff def provides that running into the box (and most teams can't cope with him) from the wing but I think what Rudden gave us was that penetration into the box through the middle- Squiddy used to do that really well then get the ball through to Doolz, which I think is missing for Graham.  Smith is physical but doesn't seem to have the pace for that role. Turner, for me, has the pace for that Squiddy role but is a bit too light in terms of being able to push through the defence. I'd still have Turner on, though. He's a footballer.

I actually thought Tiffoney was playing last night thinking he looked a bit sluggish and had put on weight until I looked at team sheet again and had confused him with Smiith….:getmecoat:.

Edited by Anniesland Jag
  • Haha 2

I think there was a very brief glimpse, the run when he got booked for diving, which suggests McAllister might offer another option to Tiffoney in terms of running at defenders and forcing them to backtrack or make mistakes.

I find it difficult to be hard or judge the players when they are being expected to play football on such an atrocious surface. It's easy to criticise the likes of McKenna, but imagine being a 6ft plus guy trying to run with a ball at your feet on that surface. It was obvious from watching that he had absolutely no confidence - he was basically standing still or jogging fairly gingerly the whole game. He couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough. I don't really blame him.

Just hope that plans are being made to sort the pitch over summer, otherwise more skillful players in the squad will be moving on. I also think it would likely put players off joining the club. The Firhill pitch is currently not fit for professional football. Give me a decent artificial surface over that any day.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, fenski said:

I think there was a very brief glimpse, the run when he got booked for diving, which suggests McAllister might offer another option to Tiffoney in terms of running at defenders and forcing them to backtrack or make mistakes.

I find it difficult to be hard or judge the players when they are being expected to play football on such an atrocious surface. It's easy to criticise the likes of McKenna, but imagine being a 6ft plus guy trying to run with a ball at your feet on that surface. It was obvious from watching that he had absolutely no confidence - he was basically standing still or jogging fairly gingerly the whole game. He couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough. I don't really blame him.

Just hope that plans are being made to sort the pitch over summer, otherwise more skillful players in the squad will be moving on. I also think it would likely put players off joining the club. The Firhill pitch is currently not fit for professional football. Give me a decent artificial surface over that any day.

Again out of likes but agree it’s a real concern that some of our best players could move on and other players identified as targets not signed because of the pitch if nothing is done about the playing surface.  Right now it’s a complete shambles 

Now McAllister is on the scene and assuming Foster and Turner are fit I think our best 11 is as follows:

Sneddon

Foster-Akinola-Mayo-Holt

Bannigan-Docherty-Crawford

McAllister-Graham-Tiffoney

I've been very impressed with Crawford and despite playing out of position last night he still had another good game and Crawford can better cover the wide midfield areas than Turner. I would hope we are already talking to Crawford about signing on for next season.

Turner can't do what Docherty does which leaves him competing with Bannigan. I would like to see Turner get on earlier in games as a sub for Bannigan to see if he can add something in that area otherwise he is waiting for 1 of the current 3 to have a drop in form.

The greater problem in the teams is still at striker. We are totally reliant on Graham. Smith and Jukubiak look like number 10's and MacIver is at best a target man.

I do wonder if Rudden is still happy at Dens now McGhee has taken over and if we could recall his loan? It would be interesting to see how much game time he gets tonight.

Failing that we will probably need to take a gamble on an old firm youngster. I did see mention of Calum Morrison at Falkirk but I believe he is injured and I'm not sure he was we need right now.

I'd agree that Turner should now get a run in the team. I'd imagine playing just of Graham. Smith isn't a bad player but it's clear his impact has been minimal. Jakubiak to my eyes isn't going to score many goals albeit I'd love to be proved wrong.   Added to that our midfield  ( who I like ) simply don't contribute enough goals wise. Wouldn't it be great if we could get Shankland on loan! 

7 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Really ? Certainly not based on the time on park last night. 

Don't think you could judge any player on that pitch for a mere 10 mins tbh. That said at least Murray showed some he was trying his level best. Maybe he is worth a start as he has some goals in him? 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Don't think you could judge any player on that pitch for a mere 10 mins tbh. That said at least Murray showed some he was trying his level best. Maybe he is worth a start as he has some goals in him? 

Don’t disagree essentially, but neither is there any other reason to demand a change from midfield based on last night - a game we totally dominated, had several chances to put the game out of Morton’s reach. 
Last night was the first I had been to since Arbroath at Firhill, so can’t comment on recent performances. But on last night Jakubiak has a great first touch, but can’t pass or shoot.  Had a feeling that Graham would miss the penalty and that one slip up would settle the game.

21 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Don’t disagree essentially, but neither is there any other reason to demand a change from midfield based on last night - a game we totally dominated, had several chances to put the game out of Morton’s reach. 
Last night was the first I had been to since Arbroath at Firhill, so can’t comment on recent performances. But on last night Jakubiak has a great first touch, but can’t pass or shoot.  Had a feeling that Graham would miss the penalty and that one slip up would settle the game.

We need to change something 

3 wins in last 11 games

2 in a row we have dominated and lost

Without something changing you know where this is heading.