Accies v Thistle

Albert's Ghost

A must win again ( cue outrage) in my estimation if we are to make a real attempt at league and  have to  be beating teams like Accies in the lower third home or away .Both teams will be looking for a reaction after last game ,however, we know how our team can play when on form so hoping for a no nonsense three points .

Would be tempted to start with Dowds instead of BBBG .

Not a happy hunting ground barring the 6-1 game last season. Our away form is okay this season so a game we set out to win hopefully. 

Accies seem on a downward trajectory so here's hoping we can help them follow that.

Accies 0 Thistle 2.

1 hour ago, Albert's Ghost said:

So - we hammered Morton, Morton hammered Accies, so it's a foregone conclusion.

1-0 Accies.

If Morton was a racing stable they'd be up in front of the Jockey Club pronto. Mind you if they were a racing stable they'd have been warned off the course many years ago. 

Accies current home form is poor. Our away form marginally better. If we play with confidence and move the ball about at a decent pace we should win. Doubt Tiffoney is up to pace to repeat last year's performance at NDP. Also feel Brian Easton is a very good player but will be easily beaten by pace. We'd need someone in attack to provide that and it's something we often lack.

2 hours ago, Anniesland Jag said:

A must win again ( cue outrage) in my estimation if we are to make a real attempt at league and  have to  be beating teams like Accies in the lower third home or away .Both teams will be looking for a reaction after last game ,however, we know how our team can play when on form so hoping for a no nonsense three points .

Would be tempted to start with Dowds instead of BBBG .

So, if we don’t win, by implication we should just pack up our bags and start planning for next season as we won’t be making a real attempt at the league.

I think not !

14 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I always find it interesting that the same people who categorise certain games as "must win" tend to be the same as those who refuse to write off other teams (e.g., Dundee) who continually keep failing to win similar matches. It's only our games that seem to be must win games, for some reason.

I don’t think this is a must win for us, but the eg Dundee crowd will believe that if things don’t start to change soon on the park there will be changes in management and in the playing staff in January. However, our form has been up and down recently, as have Ayr, QP have had a wee slump. ICT are the winners in form terms at the moment having won their last 4. We could do with a good result to avoid ICT or Ayr taking over top spot. After Hamilton we have QP,Ayr and Dundee as 3 of the next 4. 

5 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I always find it interesting that the same people who categorise certain games as "must win" tend to be the same as those who refuse to write off other teams (e.g., Dundee) who continually keep failing to win similar matches. It's only our games that seem to be must win games, for some reason.

All our games are "must wins" just as all the other teams' games are "must lose". That's what following a football team is all about. Isn't it?  :innocent:

• Like 1

Might call it more of a “must fight” than a “must win”.  Dropping points at this stage won’t matter so much, but the ability to lose a match and not have it start the downward spiral is something we need to establish.

Given that no one seems to be running away with the league this year, this may be what separates us from Ayr, Dundee or whomever at season’s end.

The team that wins the league is the most consistent one. So how quickly we bounce back from results like the ICT one is important. We need to show the right attitude on Saturday. We beat Morton 5-1 a few weeks ago, Morton win their next 2 games including thumping Accies, Ross County lost 5-0 last mid week and then win 1-0 at the weekend, so a heavy defeat in one game doesn't mean you lose the next game. As i say if we show the correct attitude on Saturday we should be good enough to win, if not we won't.

A year to the day since we hammered them 6-1 away.  Accies 0 goals and no points from last 3 matches and propping up the table.  That’s me lay the foundations of what could go wrong?  Given pitch, weather and suspension to Turner and likelihood of Smith starting (and also throw into the mix same ref as Doolan ghost goaI), I would happily take 1-0.

Edited by elevenone
saw who ref was

3 hours ago, elevenone said:

A year to the day since we hammered them 6-1 away.  Accies 0 goals and no points from last 3 matches and propping up the table.  That’s me lay the foundations of what could go wrong?  Given pitch, weather and suspension to Turner and likelihood of Smith starting (and also throw into the mix same ref as Doolan ghost goaI), I would happily take 1-0.

Why would Smith have to start? Assuming our usual back 4, Bannigan, Docherty and McKinnon form the midfield. Graham or Dowds Number 9, Lawless picks himself on form, which leaves Tiffoney or Fitzpatrick depending on fitness. Hopefully no room for Smith, but I have been proved wrong before!

25 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Why would Smith have to start? Assuming our usual back 4, Bannigan, Docherty and McKinnon form the midfield. Graham or Dowds Number 9, Lawless picks himself on form, which leaves Tiffoney or Fitzpatrick depending on fitness. Hopefully no room for Smith, but I have been proved wrong before!

Up until last week, I don’t think McKinnon had really recovered from his illness, Tiffoney isn’t fully fit, Fitzpatrick’s form hasn’t been great. It leaves plenty of room for Smith unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

I stand corrected and thankfully you were right re Smith.  On bench.