Silencing the Hampden Roar

partickthedog

Wonderful 2nd half performance by every player. I said at half time the only positive was we weren’t losing (like in the previous games against them) & that made such a difference. The early 2nd half goal made them have to open up and try to chase us rather than hit us on the break. Stevie Lawless was mom for me. Great going forward, some brilliant touches and he stopped Robson getting forward 

6 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I hope you stayed up for the 2nd half 🇧🇪🇧🇪🇧🇪🇧🇪😊

Glad to report that I enjoyed it all! A really solid team performance, including the subs.

At half-time I was already mentally composing my usual "too much checking back and too many backwards passes" comment, but something changed in the second half!

Lawless looked really sharp and up for it, but really everybody did their bit.

In the end, my MotM was Hero Holt for terrific defending, linking up, and scoring.

And that second goal........ what a brilliant string of passes!

• Like 1

What a performance! 

Unfair and completely wrong to single out individual players for praise.  Defence was immaculate, midfield worked like trojans in defence and attack, and the movement up front was just stunning.  We must have won 80% of 50:50 balls in tackles, and that alone made a huge contribution.

What a difference Doolan has made, and his impressive interview after the match showed someone who has a clearly thought out strategy, to which the players obviously wholeheartedly subscribe.

The Club has been transformed by the departure of the previous board and management, and it has been a long time since I felt so positive about our prospects both on and off the pitch.

• Like 3

I must admit I wasn't convinced by Kris Doolan's appointment, as much as I love the guy. I was worried about his lack of experience, and the feeling that he'd just been chosen as the easy option.

Last night's performance and his interview after it has changed my mind. He has a plan, and he also has a very positive outlook which I can see being contagious through the team and the club. Brilliant stuff.

I fancy us for second now, which I think could make all the difference.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The Doolan doubters,the McCall lovers are very quiet this morning. 

As a McCall 'lover'  I disagree with your comment. I have already commented on last night's performance in glowing terms. Scroll back and you will find my post.

I think the point is that all McCall lovers still feel the same about his dismissal and the manner in which it was carried out. However as Jags fans, first and foremost,  they have accepted the reality of the situation and are now supporting Kris Doolan and the team.

It's time you did the same and moved on from the McCall episode instead of repeatedly having a go at fans who didn't share your opinion. In other words, grow up!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

As a McCall 'lover'  I disagree with your comment. I have already commented on last night's performance in glowing terms. Scroll back and you will find my post.

I think the point is that all McCall lovers still feel the same about his dismissal and the manner in which it was carried out. However as Jags fans, first and foremost,  they have accepted the reality of the situation and are now supporting Kris Doolan and the team.

It's time you did the same and moved on from the McCall episode instead of repeatedly having a go at fans who didn't share your opinion. In other words, grow up!

Still hurts about McCall does it? Your lot were in denial right up to his sacking. He should have gone earlier. He probably cost us automatic promotion. 

5 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Still hurts about McCall does it? Your lot were in denial right up to his sacking. He should have gone earlier. He probably cost us automatic promotion. 

What is this need to polarise? "Your lot"; really? And among Thistle fans. Sad

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

I will hold my hand up as a Doolan Doubter, but you have to hand it to him. He has managed to get results where I don’t think McCall would and even with the defence down to the bare bones, it didn’t look like conceding last night. 
And some turn out last night despite it being on TV. A good initiative by the club for ST holders to bring a friend for £10. Should do it again on Saturday. Everything feels very positive at the moment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Just for a bit of balance. Doolan has transformed the team. Absolutely no doubt about that. Thing being he couldn't have done this without the players responding to his management in such a positive manner. The quality of the player McCall signed in terms of ability, attitude and professionalism is proving to be of a high level. Perhaps a wee bit of history repeating itself (Doolan, Cairney, Erskine, Paton etc) in that we can see McCall's strengths and weaknesses.

There's two main sides to football management. Looks like Dools has got the training, fitness and tactics spot on. If he's as decent as McCall on the recruitment, man management, contractual side of things that'll be great news. If (when?) finances are available I'd like to see Doolan get some assistance re the latter. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Just for a bit of balance. Doolan has transformed the team. Absolutely no doubt about that. Thing being he couldn't have done this without the players responding to his management in such a positive manner. The quality of the player McCall signed in terms of ability, attitude and professionalism is proving to be of a high level. Perhaps a wee bit of history repeating itself (Doolan, Cairney, Erskine, Paton etc) in that we can see McCall's strengths and weaknesses.

There's two main sides to football management. Looks like Dools has got the training, fitness and tactics spot on. If he's as decent as McCall on the recruitment, man management, contractual side of things that'll be great news. If (when?) finances are available I'd like to see Doolan get some assistance re the latter. 

Of course credit must go to McCall for assembling a decentcsquad. He has history of that. Its just that when he does, he seems unable go get their full potential out of them.

Edited by Garscube Road End 2
  • Like 1

Very decent crowd last night considering the game was on tv and Queens Park didn't bring a huge support. Almost 800 more than our last game versus Queens at Firhill and most of them looked to be in home support.

I would assume the Easter holiday, decent weather and the reduced entry helped but I think we might also have a few fans returning as belief in Doolan grows.

Whatever the reason it'll be interesting to see how many appear for the Ayr game particularly after the second half show we all got to enjoy.

Last time we played Ayr at Firhill there was just over 2800. Ayr usually bring a better support than Queens and for both teams this is a big game so hopefully it'll result in a healthy attendance.