Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I know resigning Akinola isn't going to happen but a pacy central defender playing to top form would be great for our back line.

I thought a 1 year contract or game to game contract until he proved himself.

As far as Rudden is concerned I wasn't to impressed by the manner of his departure but he and Graham seemed to be developing a good partnership and I thought this might be worth rekindling.

I think it's clear that Rudden isn't a Premire League striker but perhaps could be useful in helping us get there

Enough said about the above  and VG news about Fitzpatrick.

In Dools we trust (apologies for coping this)

I'm not that sure the Rudden/Graham partnership was looking that promising. Then again back then we weren't creating that much for them, with only one effective wide player who was usually double marked. More to the point I doubt Doolan will be too concerned with a striking pair. I think he's far more likely to go with three attacking midfielders. Perhaps Robinson playing a different role to that of Turner, insomuch as playing that bit tighter to Graham. 

Don't have a particular opinion re Rudden. Thought he was OK at playing in a lone role up top, an ability which will be important as I can't see Graham doing it for 90 mins most games.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm not that sure the Rudden/Graham partnership was looking that promising. Then again back then we weren't creating that much for them, with only one effective wide player who was usually double marked. More to the point I doubt Doolan will be too concerned with a striking pair. I think he's far more likely to go with three attacking midfielders. Perhaps Robinson playing a different role to that of Turner, insomuch as playing that bit tighter to Graham. 

Don't have a particular opinion re Rudden. Thought he was OK at playing in a lone role up top, an ability which will be important as I can't see Graham doing it for 90 mins most games.

Would be happy for someone to, as you put it, play tighter to Graham. I was thinking that by rekindling the partnership Rudden could take a lot of the weight off Graham by doing a share of the running and hard work undertaken by Graham.

I am mindful that Rudden wasn't a prolific goal scorer though he did get a fair share but like him or love him he was a hard worker.  His work ethic would fit with Doolan's philosophy of " we attack as a team and defend as a team".

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Would be happy for someone to, as you put it, play tighter to Graham. I was thinking that by rekindling the partnership Rudden could take a lot of the weight off Graham by doing a share of the running and hard work undertaken by Graham.

I am mindful that Rudden wasn't a prolific goal scorer though he did get a fair share but like him or love him he was a hard worker.  His work ethic would fit with Doolan's philosophy of " we attack as a team and defend as a team".

I agree that we could do worse than signing Rudden for his work rate alone. Doolan had the front players moving into spaces almost constantly, and Rudden's ability to buzz around (even sometimes aimlessly!) could be useful.

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I didn’t like or love him. Your idea of “hard work” is my idea of running around like a headless chicken.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Evidently Fitzpatrick has extended his contract.

I think this is a terrific piece of news. Aidan is still only 22 and if he can resume at the level of his displays in the play-off series he will be one of the outstanding talents in the division. The manager is clearly confident he will do just that and perhaps - just perhaps - tiffoney's departure may not be the clattering hammer blow we feared.

17 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I am probably playing catch-up here but just noticed Dundee have released Jakubiak. Is he worth a punt?

That's a fella that would suit our style of play perhaps better than Rudden. Less goals in him but more effective from a wider position than Rudden. If all fit not a likely starter but Fitzpatrick and Lawless will need cover and particularly Stevie won't play many 90 mins. What I can't remember is if Jakubiak can play wide on either flank as I imagine Zander will be getting more game time this season.

46 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

No thanks lovely guy but was awful when he played for us.  Like Smith flattered to deceive and for a striker his number of goals is pretty poor

Scored 10 goals last season from around 17 starts, a few more goals than Dowds. Think the lad could be used primarily as a back up wide player who can play as a back up striker if pushed, rather than the other way around. From memory his ball retention in wide areas was not bad.

5 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Scored 10 goals last season from around 17 starts, a few more goals than Dowds. Think the lad could be used primarily as a back up wide player who can play as a back up striker if pushed, rather than the other way around. From memory his ball retention in wide areas was not bad.

Any other season his goal scoring was horrendous- he was missing sitters from 3 yards out.

saying better than Dowds is not entirely prolific.  Fact is Jackubiak was pretty much next to useless when he was at Firhill 

Oh well don't suppose every suggestion will find favour.

With regard to Akinola, Rudden and Jakubiak I was thinking that with Doolan's superior player management skills he would be able to do a Fitzpatrick conversion job on which ever player (s) we resigned. Don't forget in the first half of his stint at Firhill EVERY poster on this thread thought Akinola was a great signing.

Also we shouldn't forget that post-Doolan there was only one direction Fitzpatrick was heading and that was out the door.