Summer comings and goings

Jaggernaut

9 hours ago, robphil said:

We had a man in the dug out who could have taught all of the above about the dark arts - Bertie auld..

Think Oor Bertie managed to break three legs (none his own) in the one season.

If my dodgy memory serves me well the legs were owned by Bert Paton, Davie Provan & ex Jag Jim Fleming.

On 8/17/2023 at 3:09 PM, Jaggernaut said:

That's a good starting point for another topic, but I'll continue it here:

Who is the "hardest" Thistle player that you can remember? That is, somebody who never took prisoners, and sometimes even went beyond the "call of duty".

I'll propose Charlie Smith. I used to watch him a lot during games, and he got up to tons of "stuff" even when the ball was far away. I distinctly remember him cussing and then seriously clugging a h*n within a very short time in a match at Firhill; and he seemed happy to take the booking. Basically, in season 70-71 he was hard as nails.

Ronnie Glavin wasn't averse to mixing it either.

More recently........ well, who?

I was at the game at Firhill in the early 70's when we beat Rangers 3-2. John Gibson scored 2 I think one was a header. Jags came back from 0-1 (Alex McDonald scored the opener).

I recall Charle Smith tangling with Colin Stein for possession of the ball and both fell to the ground. The ref waved play on and as the game moved away. As the two were getting to their feet  Smith landed a right upper cut onto Stein's jaw. Stein  went down and the Rangers fans went berserk! Jags supporters applauded. Ref looked back when he heard the roar of the crowd but I don't recall him doing anything.

Great match, great atmosphere and a great result. The sun was even shining - but then it always foes at Firhill.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 5:49 PM, exiledjag said:

I was at the game at Firhill in the early 70's when we beat Rangers 3-2. John Gibson scored 2 I think one was a header. Jags came back from 0-1 (Alex McDonald scored the opener).

I recall Charle Smith tangling with Colin Stein for possession of the ball and both fell to the ground. The ref waved play on and as the game moved away. As the two were getting to their feet  Smith landed a right upper cut onto Stein's jaw. Stein  went down and the Rangers fans went berserk! Jags supporters applauded. Ref looked back when he heard the roar of the crowd but I don't recall him doing anything.

Great match, great atmosphere and a great result. The sun was even shining - but then it always foes at Firhill.

From memory it was just after we had come up from the old DIv 2 and one of our first home games at Firhill that Season 

On 8/25/2023 at 7:50 PM, paralytic thistle said:

Jimmy Davidson, Frank Donlevy and Sandy Brown, they all get my vote

I have nemories of Frank Donlevy and Ssndy Brown but not so sure about Jimmy Davidson though I think I saw him a few times.

I recall my father taking me to Firhill as a youngster to see a game against Celtic. We suffered a crushing defeat, think 5-1 with John Hughes giving Joe Hogan a torrid time.

My father said that our manager, Willie Thornton (I think) lost us the game by playing Hogan against Hughes and not Donlevy.

Apparently he saw an earlier game where Donlevy was up against Hughes and he gave that  big brute a very hard time, within the rules of course.  According to my father Donlevy had Hughes in his back pocket and the Celtic fans were furious with some of Dunlevy's tackling which the referee was quite happy with. So on this basis I would go for Dunlevy.

I would loved to have seen Dunlevy playing against Hughes and bulldozing him out of the game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But it isn't really a deadline day for us, unless we were intending on parting with some cash we don't have.

Yes, exactly. To be honest I don't really pay much attention on deadline day from a Thistle perspective as any players we are likely to sign would be loan deals or free agents which we can still sign afterwards.

Edited by dpj

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I’m guessing we will have got a few quid for Ross Stewart’s move from Sunderland to Southampton. Not much, but maybe enough for another loan or free agent 

Edit - quick calculation is £40k (assuming the £8m transfer is correct)

Was he ever on our books?  Thought he had just been linked with us way back.  Wonder if he is regretting move given the lunchtime scoreline between the pair of em today?