Update From Kris Doolan

Fawlty Towers

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Dools and the Club know that the template for our Club has to change .

At our level within Scottish Football there is little or no transfer fees involved.

The demographic in my opinion would have to be younger players that we can develop, give them a pathway to first team football and possibly sell them on to Clubs down South or even the Old Firm ,similar to what teams like Motherwell have done .
Just now with the 4 players that have left who were out of contract it’s doubtful that Ross County, Dundee or Dundee Utd would have paid a transfer fee if there contracts hadn’t ended .

If we develop our own Academy Players and other younger players there is no reason why this can’t be another profitable revenue stream.

In Dools we trust.

All this was supposed to be happening supported by Colin Weir's investment, then sales of young players to keep it going. If we're needing to restart this, does it mean mismanagement of the club has affected our youth system?

1 hour ago, falklandal1 said:

Dont  See Brian being a Number 2,think he will have his own mind on how things should be done.As you say Martin,if he was going to be the Assistant it would have been announced.Kris is going to need a hand so hopefully we have it in Hand.

I think Brian definitely has his own views about how he wants the women's team to play and you see that in the home games on youtube and the televised games on Alba. Unfortunately for him though I think there is still an issue around how women's football is perceived by some of the old guard in Scottish football. By that I mean if he applied for the manager's job at a club which has been in the 4th tier for quite some time whilst he has been managing a team in the top flight of the women's game they would probably not be interested. I could be wrong about that but just a feeling I still get now and then when hearing the women's game being discussed.

If he went to a men's team as assistant even at a lower level that probably counts more in his favour for some people when applying for a manager's job.

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

All this was supposed to be happening supported by Colin Weir's investment, then sales of young players to keep it going. If we're needing to restart this, does it mean mismanagement of the club has affected our youth system?

Yip , Ian McCall built not a lot in the 3 years he was here , probably as culpable as the BOD in spending money on players we couldn’t afford and there was no return on.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Yip , Ian McCall built not a lot in the 3 years he was here , probably as culpable as the BOD in spending money on players we couldn’t afford and there was no return on.

I don't think that you can blame McCall for that. Managers will always plead for funds to sign just one more player. It's up to the board of directors to set budgets and sanction spend. 

Really impressed with KD's approach to date.

Took over an underachieving squad and in 18 games took us us on a major journey, which by very small margins could have been successful.

Love the way he articulates himself - assets and strategy and thereafter tactics. Plus sports science.

We've got a gem here, and we should appreciate him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Really impressed with KD's approach to date.

Took over an underachieving squad and in 18 games took us us on a major journey, which by very small margins could have been successful.

Love the way he articulates himself - assets and strategy and thereafter tactics. Plus sports science.

We've got a gem here, and we should appreciate him.

Sports Science? Jesus wept!

23 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

McCall as assiatant/player recruitment

Nobody particularly in mind but we certainly need a joiny up scouting/recruitment policy. Kris is proving to be a hands on coach dealing with fitness, tactics etc. So he doesn't necessarily need a traditional "training ground" type assistant.  Finances may dictate that he relies on a senior player and/or other staff for assistance. If tho' he is going to appoint an assistant then an older heid with good connections/scouting know how maybe worthwhile. 

There's only a few ways a club can punch above its weight. Mainly produce your own players thru a youth set up and/or have a knack of signing youngsters with genuine potential. I'd be very surprised if Dools given time doesn't go down this road or least want to.

Perhaps worth considering that we had one of the oldest first eleven sides ever fielded by the club last season. Some managers have been successful as regards youth in the past (early 70s for example) whereas others, whilst relatively successful, tended to recruit tried and trusted older players who were familiar to them (much of the 80s in various spells). 

Difficult to see where we are going right now but perhaps it’s safe to assume that there might be a pre-disposition toward younger recruits.

On 6/24/2023 at 9:24 AM, Anniesland Jag said:

Dools mentioned in his interview about “protecting assets” which ,IMHO, points to signings (yeah ,I know we’ve lost some pretty hefty assets post season but that’s the financial and league reality of Thistle right now ).

That’s not to say we don’t need loanees,which we most certainly do, but shows he has one eye on building for the future around a solid ,contracted team .

Next couple of weeks will be interesting for sure .

I personally would hope that by protecting assets we are looking at extending the contracts of McMillan, Fitzpatrick and Milne. I feel currently they would be the priority players to have their contracts extended- I would guess and would hope Doolan is in talks with them- though whether they will agree to extend is another story

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I personally would hope that by protecting assets we are looking at extending the contracts of McMillan, Fitzpatrick and Milne. I feel currently they would be the priority players to have their contracts extended- I would guess and would hope Doolan is in talks with them- though whether they will agree to extend is another story

Perhaps in a similar category, though maybe more likely to sign as he is at the senior end of his career, is Stevie Lawless. No reason to believe that he cannot play to an excellent standard for at least 2 more years

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Sports Science? Jesus wept!

Not sure you’re right there GRE , so important in the modern game to find out the level of fitness of players,dietary requirements, fat percentages , programs to maximise performance 

Even in the short time that Doolan has been manager I think you see a big difference in fitness levels .

11 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure you’re right there GRE , so important in the modern game to find out the level of fitness of players,dietary requirements, fat percentages , programs to maximise performance 

Even in the short time that Doolan has been manager I think you see a big difference in fitness levels .

Fit? Nothing wrong with Sand dunes and running up and down the bing!

Scott Burns and a few other media outlets have us linked with Wasiri Williams previously with Swansea.  Looks a big lad and was on loan at Dundalk where there fans raved about him.

has obviously had to deal with a very tough time with his girlfriend’s health situation so similar to Kyle Turner to be able to have to deal with that and still be able to go out and put in great performances he has my utmost respect and admiration.  I hope his partner’s health has improved and as Scott Burns is usually right with signings I’m sure Wasiri will be greatly welcomed into the Thistle family 
https://www.dundalkfc.com/wasiris-loan-spell-comes-to-an-end/?fbclid=IwAR31AlEvE1Zrk5YT7QO5StSqxyyrPvYNS_vL0q-y2R0bXISkSwo5aiYBUeQ_aem_AcUZ8t-91osRZ7kQmjpEfJTf0Jv_X_1LqIW1eILnLR2tat_MBNOTrzcAkyl5AqwjWaY

42 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Perhaps in a similar category, though maybe more likely to sign as he is at the senior end of his career, is Stevie Lawless. No reason to believe that he cannot play to an excellent standard for at least 2 more years

Well said mate.  Yeah Lawless is one of our most underrated and important players