Falkirk Viaplay Cup Tie - 22nd July

Fawlty Towers

Play the game according to the dinosaurs of Scottish football (Battle cry: "Ger the ball to the byeline an' whup u' in!"), and you'll lose to a John McGlynn team, or at best get a draw against 10 men.

Obviously, both fullbacks had a poor game. Without the players on the bench to shore up this weakness, more goals had to be scored. Meanwhile, at the other end, the two players looking most likely to score, Lawless and Fitzpatrick, were exiled to the wings to feed off scraps or to launch hopeful crosses into the box. (Lawless, of course, also tracked back to cover McKenzie, who seemed to want to become a winger or a centre half instead.)

Effective crosses require huge amounts of practice and more players in the box: "Without good balls into the box, there can be no tactical adjustments," and  "Particular value has to be placed on the timing between wingers and both strikers," [my emphasis] and "The wingers need to have enough time to put in a precise cross," [my emphasis] and "At the same time [as the cross is coming in] the strikers need to be completely determined to force their way to the ball." (This is standard, conventional modern training for the over-20s according to the DFB, the German equivalent of the SFA.) By contrast, we generally play with a single striker and hope that the two wingers being played might get a cross in, despite being under pressure. This is the football of yesteryear, dependent on a lucky cross or a lucky striker. In the past, this may have been effective, but those days should be long gone. We needn't be surprised if the John McGlynns of this game are successful, as their antediluvian football is effective against similarly outdated tactics. By definition, it must be if he can get a draw with 10 men on the park.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed watching Lyon today.  I thought Wasiri was…..steady?  I’d have to see the video again, but I swear I watched a Falkirk player try to take him 1 on 1, and he kept his feet REALLY close together.  Seemed an odd choice.

Also I was pleased that the fans supported Banzo’s trip to the penalty spot and that he delivered.

Falkirk looked as good as most of the Championship sides we played last season though that's not a high bar....we looked poorer than last season and unsurprisingly missed Turner & Tiffoney.

I thought Sneddon should have done better with both goals and Milne had a simply awful game...they didn't help Williams who I thought otherwise did ok. Mackenzie struggled a bit with positioning at right back but lacked cover from midfield; Stanway made little impact but I am happy to see them get game time. Lyon looked lively and scored a good goal

I have an inbuilt prejudice against Old Form loanees and he has just arrived at Firhill but I'm not sure I'm going to like Williamson.

Our recruitment will have to be good otherwise it will be a worrying season.

All round poor performance from Thistle. We did improve for spells in the second half. For me Sneddon should have done much better for the second goal and as others have said his distribution was way to slow. 2 really good goals from us. How can Graham score a goal like the one he scored and yet be so bad from the spot. :thinking: Very good goal from Lyon.

I know we have another league cup game next week, but a big improvement will be required if we want to take anything (hopefully 3 points ) from our league opener against Raith rovers.

For me we looked like a team who was playing their 3rd game in a week using a core 13 players. Thought Sneddon was poor at both goals and as league games don't have a penalty shootout at the end it would be Mitchell in goals for me based on the 3 games so far.

Good to see Lyon make a scoring contribution from the bench and the point could prove very important by this time next week. Good crowd as well and could see the efforts of the volunteer army around the stadium - well done guys.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

28 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

For me we looked like a team who was playing their 3rd game in a week using a core 13 players. Thought Sneddon was poor at both goals and as league games don't have a penalty shootout at the end it would be Mitchell in goals for me based on the 3 games so far.

Good to see Lyon make a scoring contribution from the bench and the point could prove very important by this time next week. Good crowd as well and could see the efforts of the volunteer army around the stadium - well done guys.

After that I am even more confused as to why Sneddon was given a new contract. 
That could effectively be 2 points from Lyon’s goal. One for us and one less for Falkirk.

1 hour ago, ChiThistle said:

Really enjoyed watching Lyon today.  I thought Wasiri was…..steady?  I’d have to see the video again, but I swear I watched a Falkirk player try to take him 1 on 1, and he kept his feet REALLY close together.  Seemed an odd choice.

Also I was pleased that the fans supported Banzo’s trip to the penalty spot and that he delivered.

I was very confused by the first sentence. I had to read it 4 times before I realised you were not watching French football !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Thought Milne was shocking today. Nothing to do with easing his way back from injury as he's been fine previous two games. Just an off day for Harry. Not sure how anyone can right off Zander as a full back. He's not turned 18 yet and he's being forced into a steep learning curve. Wasiri hopefully will improve as well. He's obviously been used to having more time on the ball. You hear that the lower leagues in England are less pacy than up here, and I assume that's also the case in Ireland. Fingers well and truly crossed re Williams.

Think Doolan is correct to alternate the keepers but I prefer Mitchell in goals these days. Sneddon's slow and deliberate distribution is so frustrating. Was dodgy at the goals as well. Mitchell isn't in any way rock solid but at least he knows how to use the ball to better effect.

If players signed from English lower leagues take so long to adjust to the Scottish game then I am unsure as to the point of signing them unless it’s someone like Abdul Osman, prince Busben or Higgsnbothan who we signed from English leagues but had played in the Scottish leagues and did well with us.

Guys like McGinty etc etc who we signed based on scout recommendations etc had no experience of the Scottish game and were appalling.  Williams was actually one of the very few to get passmarks so I’m hoping he Busch’s the previous trend 

Today was a better test that Dundee Utd ever was. McGlynn did his homework and had his team well organised and up for the challenge.

Thistle, on the other hand, started insipidly, and were lacking penetration of any sort in the first half hour. Period before half-time was better with one outstanding run from Fitzpatrick and a very good shot from Stanway.

Better pressure in the second half without anything really falling for us until the red card. After Graham's goal the sensible strategy would have been to spend a few minutes keeping possession and stretching the ten men from wing to wing to wear them down. Instead we went gung-ho and got caught out by an out ball that should never have happened.

Fair play to the team for even managing to get it to penalties thanks to Jamie Lyon's outstanding strike (he was the one total success on the day). Milne's touch was all over the map today (playing when not fully fit maybe?), Sneddon was blameless for the first goal (did well to even see the shot, let alone keep it out), but was questionable on the second. Fitzpatrick had a very decent second half, but overall the team lacked fizz today against a side who can consider themselves unlucky not to have seen out the win. Thankfully for us the point means we are still masters of our own destiny next Saturday.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Today was a better test that Dundee Utd ever was. McGlynn did his homework and had his team well organised and up for the challenge.

Thistle, on the other hand, started insipidly, and were lacking penetration of any sort in the first half hour. Period before half-time was better with one outstanding run from Fitzpatrick and a very good shot from Stanway.

Better pressure in the second half without anything really falling for us until the red card. After Graham's goal the sensible strategy would have been to spend a few minutes keeping possession and stretching the ten men from wing to wing to wear them down. Instead we went gung-ho and got caught out by an out ball that should never have happened.

Fair play to the team for even managing to get it to penalties thanks to Jamie Lyon's outstanding strike (he was the one total success on the day). Milne's touch was all over the map today (playing when not fully fit maybe?), Sneddon was blameless for the first goal (did well to even see the shot, let alone keep it out), but was questionable on the second. Fitzpatrick had a very decent second half, but overall the team lacked fizz today against a side who can consider themselves unlucky not to have seen out the win. Thankfully for us the point means we are still masters of our own destiny next Saturday.

Disagree on first goal- Sneddon completely to blame straight to Falkirk player who happened to be that did McGovern who will never have an easier goal to score. Sneddon should have at least hit to the side

Thankfully for us the point means we are still masters of our own destiny next Saturday.

Only if Dundee Utd beat Falkirk on Tuesday which I would not say is a given. Anything else and we're relying on other results, either Falkirk to drop points vs Peterhead or 9 points (and whatever goal difference) being enough to be one of the best 3 runners up.

Too many permutations for the latter, but if we'd won the shoot out today then a win on Saturday to put us on 10 points would almost guarantee us getting through. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, falklandal1 said:

Wont make it this week Martin as i am in Hospital,if you are going and you happen across Ian Bateman could you tell him i am not dead just incapacitated,lol.

11 hours ago, falklandal1 said:

Getting their,wont find out till Monday just what the plan is,cheers

Hope you get good news on Monday and back at Firhill soon. :thumbsup2:

45 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Disagree on first goal- Sneddon completely to blame straight to Falkirk player who happened to be that did McGovern who will never have an easier goal to score. Sneddon should have at least hit to the side

While respecting your opinion, Sneddon's was clearly a reflex/reaction save - he had zero chance of being able to control the rebound which McIver reacted to more quickly than the flat footed Muirhead.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Only if Dundee Utd beat Falkirk on Tuesday which I would not say is a given. Anything else and we're relying on other results, either Falkirk to drop points vs Peterhead or 9 points (and whatever goal difference) being enough to be one of the best 3 runners up.

Too many permutations for the latter, but if we'd won the shoot out today then a win on Saturday to put us on 10 points would almost guarantee us getting through. 

Fair point Ancipital - thanks for clarifying the permutations.

While respecting your opinion, Sneddon's was clearly a reflex/reaction save - he had zero chance of being able to control the rebound which McIver reacted to more quickly than the flat footed Muirhead.

From my viewpoint, it looked like Muirhead made an acrobatic overhead clearance from Sneddon's flap only for the ball to hit McIvor in the face and end up in the net. The initial shot was well-struck and may have been deflected but the keeper should have done better.

Edited by Winter of '63
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

From my viewpoint, it looked like Muirhead made an acrobatic overhead clearance from Sneddon's flap only for the ball to hit McIvor in the face and end up in the net. The initial shot was well-struck and may have been deflected but the keeper should have done better.

That might explain what I thought was a strange finish. From my seat in the JH I thought it went in at a strange angle and had wondered if it hit McIver’s arm or shoulder. 

I also thought it looked a decent save but unfortunately it went back  into play

11 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

I have an inbuilt prejudice against Old Form loanees and he has just arrived at Firhill but I'm not sure I'm going to like Williamson.

There are others in our support who have seem to have this prejudice. I wonder if it is that or is there evidence that loans from them are any worse than loans from other clubs. 
I think I agree with you about Williamson, mind you.

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

9 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

9 hours ago, jaggy said:

That might explain what I thought was a strange finish. From my seat in the JH I thought it went in at a strange angle and had wondered if it hit McIver’s arm or shoulder. 

I also thought it looked a decent save but unfortunately it went back  into play

Not surprised by the differences of opinion. I too was in a momentary state of shock having just witnessed Ross McIver actually scoring a goal.

• Haha 1

Most of the post-Falkirk updates now in place, including a decent highlights package.

The Thistle Archive →

:detective:  HARD TO WIN vs. McGLYNN

● At the time of writing, Thistle have more connections with Falkirk (148) than with any other club. Unfortunately, one of them (Ross MacIver) comes back to haunt us with the opening goal.
Kris Doolan's Jags trail at half-time for the first time ever. You need to rewind to the 4th February 2023 to find the last such occurrence, when Thistle were behind by one goal to nil at home to Cove Rangers.
● In a second consecutive game at Firhill an opponent is sent-off.
● The prolific Brian Graham scores in a 4th consecutive game at Firhill.
James Lyon scores his first competitive goal for Thistle to rescue a precious point in stoppage time.
● Isolating the query to a reasonable 10 competitive games minimum, John McGlynn remains in the all-time Top 20 opposition managers in terms of points-per-game. It's highly impressive when you consider he's achieved that with clubs such as Raith Rovers and Falkirk. Thistle have registered just 3 wins in 19 against McGlynn, resulting in a paltry ratio of 0.789 ppg.

ongoing sequences:
● 9 competitive home games without defeat; 4th Mar 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 13 games; 19th Jan 2013 to 27th Aug 2013. Club-record: 24 games; 5th May 2001 to 17th Aug 2002.)
● 31 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

On yesterday’s showing, we need McMillan back pronto to give us the link up with Lawless down the right hand side. Williams was ok but clearly tired at the end. I am not sure what role Stanway is meant to be playing, but not sure he is quite ready for regular starts. Lyon looks a much better prospect. I hope that Zander missing that final penalty doesn’t affect his confidence.

Just watched the goals on Jagzone.

First goal for Falkirk is more of a problem is caused by more than just Sneddon. The goal really comes about because our midfield is massively out of position. Stanway correctly comes across to help MacKenzie deal with the breakaway, Lawless or Williamson should move into the centre but neither react. Bannigan is tracking the player that shoots but when Williams heads the ball out the box Bannigan drifts off his man giving him a free shot at goal. Sneddon should parry the shot towards the corner or over the bar but its difficult to see from the angle if the original shot had taking a deflection off Williams and made it difficult for Sneddon to do much with.

Second goal again starts with the midfield. We go on the attack against a Falkirk team with only 10 men. However the midifeld and defence don't get up quick enough to support the attack so when we lose the ball the Falkirk midfield has zero pressure on it. However we still have Williamson and Milne covering the Falkirk goalscorer and the Falkirk rightback so we really shouldn't be allowing him to progress. What happens next is genuinely the stuff you teach kids not to do. Williamson makes half hearted tackle on the goalscorer rather than leaving him to Milne and matching the Fallkirk rightback's run. Milne repeats Williamsons mistake of going in half hearted. If you're going to tackle in that position you either win the ball or take the man. Giving away a freekick in that position isn't the worst choice. Thereafter Williams is then left with 2 v 1 and can't get to the goalscorer before he hits a very good shot. Sneddon looks culpable as he gets hands to the ball bit allows it go over his hand.

To my mind we still need a defensive midfielder who can lead that midfield. Docherty had his faults but he was a vocal presence in the middle of the park who marshalled it pretty well. Williamson and Stanway are to young and new to the team to be that leader and we know that Bannigan isn't that type either.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

To my mind we still need a defensive midfielder who can lead that midfield. Docherty had his faults but he was a vocal presence in the middle of the park who marshalled it pretty well. Williamson and Stanway are to young and new to the team to be that leader and we know that Bannigan isn't that type either.

Most definitely need muscle in central midfield. But I thought that even when we had Docherty as he needed a sidekick to cover defensive mid. A clean tackling ball winner to leave Bannigan to play his normal game and have Stanway/Williamson in a box to box role.

I'm assuming we sign a third centreback but Ideally this defensive mid could cover central defence in an emergency. I know McMillan is comfortable enough at CB but we lose out on his attacking abilities when asked to move inside.

8 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

There are others in our support who have seem to have this prejudice. I wonder if it is that or is there evidence that loans from them are any worse than loans from other clubs. 
I think I agree with you about Williamson, mind you.

I can only remember one decent loanee from either of those two. Lewis Mayo.