Falkirk Viaplay Cup Tie - 22nd July

Fawlty Towers

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Most definitely need muscle in central midfield. But I thought that even when we had Docherty as he needed a sidekick to cover defensive mid. A clean tackling ball winner to leave Bannigan to play his normal game and have Stanway/Williamson in a box to box role.

I'm assuming we sign a third centreback but Ideally this defensive mid could cover central defence in an emergency. I know McMillan is comfortable enough at CB but we lose out on his attacking abilities when asked to move inside.

Where is big Billy Paton when you need him?

s

17 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Disagree on first goal- Sneddon completely to blame straight to Falkirk player who happened to be that did McGovern who will never have an easier goal to score. Sneddon should have at least hit to the side

I can't believe people are actually trying to blame Sneddon for the first goal. It was a fantastic no-alternative save from a shot that was otherwise a certain goal, deflected onto the crossbar. Do people really expect the goalkeeper not only to save but to master the angle at which the deflection off the crossbar is to be directed? No mention of the lack of Jags defenders moving in at speed enough to clear up after Sneddon's save? Why not?

As I said, unbelievable scapegoating by some folk.

And for the second, Sneddon got a hand to a fast moving shot, and could have stopped it with a bit of luck. Every f*ckin goal lost by any keeper, the keeper "could've done better." No criticism of defenders letting the guy get into position to launch that direct shot in the first place? Why not? 

Sneddon had an unbelievable save in the first half, and saved a penalty in the shoot out. No mention of those from those who prefer to criticize.

By the way, that Falkirk winger, Agyemune or something like that, was terrific. How do teams like Falkirk, QP, Arbroath get guys like that, and we don't?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

s

I can't believe people are actually trying to blame Sneddon for the first goal. It was a fantastic no-alternative save from a shot that was otherwise a certain goal, deflected onto the crossbar. Do people really expect the goalkeeper not only to save but to master the angle at which the deflection off the crossbar is to be directed? No mention of the lack of Jags defenders moving in at speed enough to clear up after Sneddon's save? Why not?

And for the second, Sneddon got a hand to a fast moving shot, and could have stopped it with a bit of luck. Every f*ckin goal lost by any keeper, the keeper "could've done better." No criticism of defenders letting the guy get into position to launch that direct shot in the first place? Why not? 

Sneddon had an unbelievable save in the first half, and saved a penalty in the shoot out. No mention of those from those who prefer to criticize.

By the way, that Falkirk winger, Agyemune or something like that, was terrific. How do teams like Falkirk, QP, Arbroath get guys like that, and we don't?

He was at fault for both goals- blunders that he has done similar to throughout his career at Firhill and he has been here 6 years and not improved significantly at all.  there was an alternative at the first goal - palm it to the side rather than straight to the Falkirk player 
Trying to defend him because he happened to save a penalty is ridiculous- if he hadn’t mucked up in the first place we may have taken all 3 points 

Mitchell although prone to blunders as well is the better goalkeeper 

Edited by Third Lanark

50 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

s

From my position in the John Lambie stand it was not easy to see what happened with the first goal, so in my just in post i didn't comment on it. But for the second one, i felt he should have done a lot better. As you say he did have a very good save in the first half, so he possibly earned us a point with that save. It's all about opinions and i am in no way trying to scapegoat anybody. 

I feel dirty saying this, but looking for a Dundee Utd win on Tuesday night. :ph34r:

Just watched the Falkirk TV coverage of the pen shoot-out. Look at the linesman. Is he not ideally placed to judge whether the keepers come off their line with both feet too soon? Think I'm right in saying he was looking at the taker for every penalty, in fact on one occasion he's half looking round and almost missed the kick.

10 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Going back a bit, Graham Dorrans and Lyle Turner both were more than decent non OF loanees

PS Chris Erskine on loan from Dundee United did not hit consistent top form but did score a brilliant goal at Firhill against Hibs. Mentioning Hibs reminds me that Damon Gray was on loan from them when he scored at Ibrox.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He was at fault for both goals- blunders that he has done similar to throughout his career at Firhill and he has been here 6 years and not improved significantly at all.  there was an alternative at the first goal - palm it to the side rather than straight to the Falkirk player 
Trying to defend him because he happened to save a penalty is ridiculous- if he hadn’t mucked up in the first place we may have taken all 3 points 

Mitchell although prone to blunders as well is the better goalkeeper 

We'll agree to disagree on the first goal - Any goalkeeper able to do the alternative you suggest with that shot yesterday would be playing in La Liga or the EPL next month. Either way, he certainly did not muck up.

Agree with you on the second goal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Going back a bit, Graham Dorrans and Lyle Turner both were more than decent non OF loanees

Who? Don't recall anyone of that name playing for the Jags, unless I'm going senile (which is quite possible).

Edited following clarification that you meant Lyle Taylor, and that Graham Dorrans was indeed loaned from Livingston.

Edited by Barney Rubble