First game of the league campaign

13 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The decision to put Williams at  right back and Neilson at CB when he is right back cover was simply mental

Doolans view that we have cover for all positions is well eh shite 

Most excellent to have your positive contributions to the forum; I have missed them. 

16 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The decision to put Williams at  right back and Neilson at CB when he is right back cover was simply mental

Doolans view that we have cover for all positions is well eh shite 

Pretty much throw it away again with our subsitutions. Doolan seems determined to make these unneccesary changes when we're comfortable in games. Sometimes its best just to leave it.  

Edited by Jag36
  • Like 1

That one is squarely on KD.

Changing the formation when there was no need to, and changing the central defence when there was no need to was the root cause of their comeback.

I assume McMillan going off was due to the effects of lack of minutes recently. Understandable, but if so, why move Wasiri out to RB thereby upsetting the balance of the rest of the defence?

Also, switching to 4-4-2 meant taking McInroy - who was very good in the centre - out wide right where he was less effective. Using only one of Tomi or Anton would have maintained the shape, particularly after disrupting the back four as above.

No clean sheets in five games, of which three against lower league opposition, is manifest proof that Docherty has not been adequately replaced and that's a major concern defensively.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Changing the formation when there was no need to, and changing the central defence when there was no need to was the root cause of their comeback.

I assume McMillan going off was due to the effects of lack of minutes recently. Understandable, but if so, why move Wasiri out to RB thereby upsetting the balance of the rest of the defence?

Also, switching to 4-4-2 meant taking McInroy - who was very good in the centre - out wide right where he was less effective. Using only one of Tomi or Anton would have maintained the shape, particularly after disrupting the back four as above.

No clean sheets in five games, of which three against lower league opposition, is manifest proof that defensively not replacing Docherty adequately is a major issue.

Spot on 

16 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No clean sheets in five games, of which three against lower league opposition, is manifest proof that Docherty has not been adequately replaced and that's a major issue defensively.

Hopefully this is a tough learning point for Doolan regarding his in-game management today. He's tinkered unnecessarily in lots of games before, sometimes we've just about got away with it , others we've not

Hopefully he learns from today and we don't see it going forward this season

That’s what happens when you don’t take your chances. Could easily have been 4 up at half time. 2nd half was poor from an attacking perspective and panic set in after they scored their first goal with balls just been hoofed up in the air. Needless subs and positional changes. Poor defending for their two goals.

Must do better.

Edited by Big Col

A bit naive in the second half, seemed to sit off them and happy not to press until after they scored their equaliser, too little too late.

We’re not a team that can soak up pressure so there was a kind of inevitability about how it ended. Subs didn’t help, in fact made things worse. A lesson for everyone including the manager.

I've seen that movie before...and it still gives me nightmares. We played some very good stuff, particularly in the first half with Lawless & McMillan combining brilliantly, In fairness, Raith missed three very good chances in the first 45 minutes and were a decent enough side. All four players who were substituted looked as if they had run their race as did McInroy and our failure to get a grip of the game and conceding late goals gave me Dingwall flashbacks. 

Williams looked a bit raw but ok in the centre and like an out of position centre back when he moved to right back. I was very disappointed in Alston who I expected to retain possession - I would rather have seen Lyon or Stanway given a chance. 

Last season we played some excellent football and were also very ordinary...sometimes in the same match. It's frustrating to start this season in the same way