First game of the league campaign

The curate's egg today. Overall I think we are good from middle to front but need to improve middle to back. Hopefully we will get an experienced defender in who can settle things down when the opposition have a period on top, which will happen in games over the season.

Good home crowd of 3000 - lets keep that up as well.

We could've been a goal down before we scored but after we went 1-0 up it was a very end to end and open game. Both teams had chances to score before we went 2-0 up. For most of the second half it looked like we were going to get a win, but when they pulled 1 back, i just felt they would get a point at least.

Doolan saying he takes the blame and lesson learned is a positive.  

27 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

I've seen that movie before...and it still gives me nightmares. We played some very good stuff, particularly in the first half with Lawless & McMillan combining brilliantly, In fairness, Raith missed three very good chances in the first 45 minutes and were a decent enough side. All four players who were substituted looked as if they had run their race as did McInroy and our failure to get a grip of the game and conceding late goals gave me Dingwall flashbacks. 

Williams looked a bit raw but ok in the centre and like an out of position centre back when he moved to right back. I was very disappointed in Alston who I expected to retain possession - I would rather have seen Lyon or Stanway given a chance. 

Last season we played some excellent football and were also very ordinary...sometimes in the same match. It's frustrating to start this season in the same way

I know that Auld Jag thinks that I am James Lyon’s agent, but I agree with the comment above. He must wonder what he did wrong in the last 2 games to prevent him being on the pitch today (James Lyon, not Auld Jag). Lyon for Williamson had to be the right substitution.

I like Williams at centre back, but fullback is just not his position. Muirhead is a decent right back with added throw in value, so why not keep Williams at centre back. If there was concern about losing Muirhead’s commanding presence in the middle, I would have preferred to bring on Ben Stanway. I could see him being a very disciplined right back and I do not think that he would have let us down.

Adeloye and Dowds far too similar. As Lyon was still available on the bench, Adeloye and Lyon would have been more natural continuity substitutes for Graham and Lawless.

30 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The curate's egg today. Overall I think we are good from middle to front but need to improve middle to back. Hopefully we will get an experienced defender in who can settle things down when the opposition have a period on top, which will happen in games over the season.

Good home crowd of 3000 - lets keep that up as well.

If it’s a 37 year old defender rumoured I’d think I would pass. 
I think it’s ridiculous we haven’t offered Euan East a deal- plenty of experience of championship and Scottish football and left sided CB.  At the very least we are needing competition for places 

Nothing more depressing than watching Thistle trying to push for a win or draw in the final 10 minutes and Dowds is up top running about like a headless chicken as usual.

Not bad going for me. Pissed away £300 on a season ticket at 11pm last night (need to stay off phone when drinking) and left today at 2-2. Wonder if I'll beat last seasons tally of being in the stadium twice at the final whistle.

Absolute predictable garbage at 2-0 as we sat in, lowered the tempo and invited them to break us down. Surely first half must've told Doolan there was no chance we would go the full 90 and not concede?

Anyone got a link to the ST refund page on the official site? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Nothing more depressing than watching Thistle trying to push for a win or draw in the final 10 minutes and Dowds is up top running about like a headless chicken as usual.

Not bad going for me. Pissed away £300 on a season ticket at 11pm last night (need to stay off phone when drinking) and left today at 2-2. Wonder if I'll beat last seasons tally of being in the stadium twice at the final whistle.

Absolute predictable garbage at 2-0 as we sat in, lowered the tempo and invited them to break us down. Surely first half must've told Doolan there was no chance we would go the full 90 and not concede?

Don't beat yourself up about it. It's a fiver a pint most places these days.

It's the best 300 quid you'll piss away this year.

Edited by Barney Rubble

41 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Cheer up at least you are not a Port Vale fan. All full of enthusiasm for a new season, head off to Barnsley and get beat 7 nil.

I believe another Glasgow based team lost today as well.

1 minute ago, Fawlty Towers said:

And I did not say it did.

But you know as well as anyone on here that in the goldfish bowl of Scottish football the one constant is having a laugh at one (or both) sides of the old firm when they lose.

Indeed I do laugh at them, but it doesn't cheer me up to forget Thistle chucking away 2 points.

Whilst we are having a go at some of the team, let's not forget Brian Graham who was rubbish today.

Not once did he win the ball in the air. I don't think he had a shot on target. I do remember him shooting at goal from 50 yards out.

Yes he was being fouled, but the ref just like most refs will not give him the benefit of doubt as he plays for the foul rather than win the ball.

Did he contribute anything in his 75 minutes. 

35 minutes ago, erty13 said:

Whilst we are having a go at some of the team, let's not forget Brian Graham who was rubbish today.

Not once did he win the ball in the air. I don't think he had a shot on target. I do remember him shooting at goal from 50 yards out.

Yes he was being fouled, but the ref just like most refs will not give him the benefit of doubt as he plays for the foul rather than win the ball.

I thought that Graham had a very effective first half. Won more headers than usual and chased some wide balls forward to good effect as a quasi-winger! Laid a beautiful ball across on a plate which McInroy contrived to miss. His header led directly to the first goal.

I agree that in the second half his involvement and productivity dipped.

• Like 1

I think some should remember that Dools has been our manager for just short of 6 months. This is his first managerial position. He lost a number of our main players from the past few seasons and is building a team with a smaller budget than previous seasons because we now have people in charge of our club who are doing the right thing and are not willing to put the future of the club in danger. He has also had to cope with losing his Father only a few months back.

Was i disappointed when we lost the play off final an emphatic yes.

Was i disappointed as i left Firhill today again yes.

Will Dools make mistakes, of course he will,but if he shows he learns from it, he will be a better manager.

Imo unless we go on a run that puts us in danger of going down, the manager should get the backing of everybody at Firhill.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, erty13 said:

Said this to Junior TLB. Spends far to much time claiming for fouls and overacting. May actually be a blunder making him captain as it cements his place in the team and makes it harder to drop him. Several times a match (evey match) where he's the least professional player in the team. Berating refs, moaning at team-mates and blaming others for his own deficiencies are not what makes a good captain for me. People love his energy and enthusiasm, but Doolan may have made a rod for his own back. Someone else should have been picked and Doolan could then have the option to drop him. Saying that, we have zero options if Graham is pish for a game or two or happens to get injured so probably a moot point. 

8 minutes ago, Jag36 said:

On a seperate note, how Kilmarnock and Livingston are allowed to play in the Premier league with those pitches is a disgrace

Agreed. Said from day one. Get rid of these pitches. Not required in this day and age if you're only playing 18-20 games on grass.  Shi7ebags at SFA and SPFL need to step up and have a 3 year amnesty on them and get rid once and for all.

8 minutes ago, The Legend Blows said:

Agreed. Said from day one. Get rid of these pitches. Not required in this day and age if you're only playing 18-20 games on grass.  Shi7ebags at SFA and SPFL need to step up and have a 3 year amnesty on them and get rid once and for all.

Exactly, why should teams like Thistle have to pay to maintain a decent pitch when Killie etc. get away with it with a bit of extra cash for new players and wages, nevermind the advantage of being used to playing/training on the terrible surface

Edited by Jag36
  • Thanks 1

Another shitey, bottle-crash ending as the Thistle players decided to sit back in their own half, and when they got possession to go in for the useless sideways and back-passes routine, with some back passes of 40 yards or so turning a potential attack into nothing but another start of a sideways routine.

Raith Rovers fully deserved a point. They could/should have been 2 up before we scored, then were unlucky to hit the bar near the end. 

We have to improve. I think we have the players, but what is required is a tougher mentality.

This post is aimed straight at TJF, PTFC and whoever else is running Partick Thistle. Can we once and for all dispense with the Utter BS that is the YouTube tidbits we get from the official channel. Just make it f@#king free for everyone to watch. Classic example is our opponents today.

Player Reaction

Manager Reaction

Match Highlights

Why do we persist with the subscription Bullstish. Complete and utter madness. Would love to know the income we get from this. I for one subscribe to all Championship clubs YouTube channels so what is the point of Thistle making 2K or whatever by shafting their loyal support. Make it free now. First thing I'd do if I was in charge. Engage with the support and stop rinsing them!!!!

Edited by The Legend Blows
  • Like 1