SPFL Trust trophy

jaggy

41 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not overly concerned about today's performance but FWIW I found the timing of Doolan's first substitutions odd. We had real momentum at 2-2 & I felt there was no need to change anything at that time. Robinson particularly unfortunate to be hooked. He's an intelligent footballer & we missed his guile

Robinson was all but invisible.

Thought it was an enjoyable enough game, but then again if you're not too fussed about the end result you can relax a bit. To be honest I think we were a bit unlucky. How the ball stayed out their net on at least three occasions in the second half was a mystery. And Young Ben was real unlucky just before the break when his shot hit the upright. Would've been a great goal.

Like to see McInroy & Robinson play together rather than one replacing the other. Even if it was only a thirty minute overlap. Thought Lawless and Stanway were the only two who really deserved to be on a winning team. For what it's worth I thought Williams looked slightly better playing on his stronger side. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Take lawless out the team today and we would be very poor but we can’t rely on him to carry the team.

defensively we are a concern we lost 3 today and they could have shires a couple more.

robinson was meh , as was Williams , Adeloye didn’t do much to oust Graham … macdonald looked better in the second half.

I wonder if we will regret having a lack of central defenders and 97 midfielders 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Thought it was an enjoyable enough game, but then again if you're not too fussed about the end result you can relax a bit. To be honest I think we were a bit unlucky. How the ball stayed out their net on at least three occasions in the second half was a mystery. And Young Ben was real unlucky just before the break when his shot hit the upright. Would've been a great goal.

Like to see McInroy & Robinson play together rather than one replacing the other. Even if it was only a thirty minute overlap. Thought Lawless and Stanway were the only two who really deserved to be on a winning team. For what it's worth I thought Williams looked slightly better playing on his stronger side. 

Just picking up your last point. Williams had a very good second half, winning a lot of tackles, covering well and cutting off crosses and through balls.

Strange game.. on another day we should have scored 5 but worryingly we conceded 3 to lower league opposition, their second goal was juvenile from us and their third poor too. 
For me only the superb Lawless (until he tired) and Stanway were impressive. Harsh to judge Adeloye, McDonald and Robinson on their first starts but the first two certainly didn’t stake a claim for starting. Adeloye looks like he needs to work much harder but early days. Would like to see a Neilson and Williams pairing to see if it shores things up. 

The subs didn’t make any difference with Fitzy frequently making the wrong choice or poor delivery, and Mcinroy frequently caught in possession. Graham with very little to feed off. 

Think Mitchell will get the gloves once fully fit as Sneddon hasn’t taken his opportunity. Stanway looks to be a promising player.

McCall at the game today but left 10 mins before the end… wise man….

And we can now concentrate on the league😀

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Not overly concerned about today's performance but FWIW I found the timing of Doolan's first substitutions odd. We had real momentum at 2-2 & I felt there was no need to change anything at that time. Robinson particularly unfortunate to be hooked. He's an intelligent footballer & we missed his guile

Agreed. McDonald had started to cause some problems in the 2nd half after not doing much in the first.  Graham on at that time might have been a better option 

I know it is as on old saying, but on another day we would have won that game. Played well, but missed some good chances and hit the woodwork twice. Plenty of effort from both sides and apart from the result it was a good watch.

Gave some  players a chance to get minutes on the park and hopefully help us for the league games to come.

Stanway again had a very good game, not sure what sort of contract he is on but if his current form continues we should make sure he is on at least a 2 year contract.

Edited by Auld Jag

Just now, Auld Jag said:

I know it is as on old saying, but on another day we would have won that game. Played well, but missed some good chances and hit the woodwork twice. Plenty of effort from both sides and apart from the result it was a good watch.

Gave some  players a chance to get minutes on the park and hopefully help us for the league games to come.

And on another day they could have scored six and that’s the concern 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Agree also felt McDonald was doing well in the second half.

38 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Strange game.. on another day we should have scored 5 but worryingly we conceded 3 to lower league opposition, their second goal was juvenile from us and their third poor too. 
For me only the superb Lawless (until he tired) and Stanway were impressive. Harsh to judge Adeloye, McDonald and Robinson on their first starts but the first two certainly didn’t stake a claim for starting. Adeloye looks like he needs to work much harder but early days. Would like to see a Neilson and Williams pairing to see if it shores things up. 

The subs didn’t make any difference with Fitzy frequently making the wrong choice or poor delivery, and Mcinroy frequently caught in possession. Graham with very little to feed off. 

Think Mitchell will get the gloves once fully fit as Sneddon hasn’t taken his opportunity. Stanway looks to be a promising player.

McCall at the game today but left 10 mins before the end… wise man….

And we can now concentrate on the league😀

I hope McCall wasn’t there because he will ayrs manager for Friday.  Ayr are struggling a bit under Bullen so would prefer he remained

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Sneddon made two good saves and they missed two chances in the second half

You are correct about Sneddon saves, don't remember their 2 chances. But apart from that we dominated the second half, hitting the woodwork, having one cleared of the line and missed a few good chances. Any way it's all about opinions. 

Just now, Auld Jag said:

You are correct about Sneddon saves, don't remember their 2 chances. But apart from that we dominated the second half, hitting the woodwork, having one cleared of the line and missed a few good chances. Any way it's all about opinions. 

My point isn’t that we didn’t create chances we did ….it’s that defensively we need to improve …. Macmillan is more like a wide attacker than a full back 

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Probably not - but he made too many changes today. Even although most of them played ok for good spells of the game, I just think four changes knocked the continuity of the team.

Not so sure about that. I think he should have left the first subs for another 5 or 10 minutes as we were on top at the time.

Should have won, didn't really get out of 2nd gear apart from that spell first 20 mins or so of 2nd half, where we created a ton of chances and should have got a few goals.

Great first goal from QOTS, last 2 were frustrating, conceding 3 against a team that was camped in the whole 2nd half is frustrating.

Thought Lawless was clearly the best player on the pitch, and pass marks also to Stanway who faded a wee bit after a good first hour or so, but look tired later on, but overall he did really well. Jack McMillan had a decent game too I thought, otherwise nobody covered themselves in glory.

Looked really vulnerable on the break too, just running through the middle of us, I didn't see Robinson do much to be honest but I was watching on stream so not always the best way to judge.

Our record in this competition is abysmal.