SPFL Trust trophy

jaggy

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Maybe Doolan just doesn't have that manager's instinct.

Not sure what that means but no doubt a negative dig as we have come to expect. It's a very minor setback in the grand scheme of things and most of the fan base will see it this way. Onwards 

When Doolan came in last season we had a number of clean sheets, so far this season we have had none. The reason imo and has already been said by some on this forum has been our failure to get a Docherty type player. Some on this forum did not rate him and thought we would not miss him. Imo now that he is no longer with Thistle we are now seeing what he brought to the team. Holt is also a big miss for us.

I do understand that because of how our finances were dealt with by our previous regime that from this season we have had to cut our cloth accordingly and that it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to replace the players we have lost with a like for like replacement.

38 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

When Doolan came in last season we had a number of clean sheets, so far this season we have had none. The reason imo and has already been said by some on this forum has been our failure to get a Docherty type player. Some on this forum did not rate him and thought we would not miss him. Imo now that he is no longer with Thistle we are now seeing what he brought to the team. Holt is also a big miss for us.

I do understand that because of how our finances were dealt with by our previous regime that from this season we have had to cut our cloth accordingly and that it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to replace the players we have lost with a like for like replacement.

Agree we do miss Docherty but at the same time I felt he was often far from exceptional as a ball winning centre mid. It's the fact we've now no obvious ball winners at all that's really troublesome. 

The Muirhead/Holt centreback pairing was solid enough. However by far our best spell last season was when Holt wasn't at centreback. He did a fine job covering for Milne at left back but wasn't as effective in that role as Harry. Maybe then it's Brownlie, who was centreback for most of that spell, that we really miss? Don't hold that view myself but he did play when we had a number of clean sheets. 

Gotta feeling a Muirhead/Neilson partnership will be reasonably solid but with no adequate protection in front of them they'll be exposed too often. Perhaps Ngwenya could be this season's Hodson or Neilson moves forward. Neither an ideal scenario and would mean yet another midfielder not getting game time. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree we do miss Docherty but at the same time I felt he was often far from exceptional as a ball winning centre mid. It's the fact we've now no obvious ball winners at all that's really troublesome. 

The Muirhead/Holt centreback pairing was solid enough. However by far our best spell last season was when Holt wasn't at centreback. He did a fine job covering for Milne at left back but wasn't as effective in that role as Harry. Maybe then it's Brownlie, who was centreback for most of that spell, that we really miss? Don't hold that view myself but he did play when we had a number of clean sheets. 

Gotta feeling a Muirhead/Neilson partnership will be reasonably solid but with no adequate protection in front of them they'll be exposed too often. Perhaps Ngwenya could be this season's Hodson or Neilson moves forward. Neither an ideal scenario and would mean yet another midfielder not getting game time. 

You are correct that Brownlie was centre back for most of that spell. I can't believe that he was the difference for us getting clean sheets or not.:thinking:

10-Sep-2023 09-Sep-2023 Partick Thistle 2 Queen of the South 3 (Challenge Cup 3rd Round) ('Match Information' tab introduced; 'Match Report' tab introduced; 'Stats Watch' tab introduced)
10-Sep-2023 versus Queen of the South (H2H update)
10-Sep-2023 Season 2023-24 (Results, Squad Stats & Crime Count tables updated)
10-Sep-2023 All-time goalscorers charts (Steven Lawless +1; Ben Stanway introduced)
10-Sep-2023 Illustrated Top 50 competitive scorers (46-goal Steven Lawless joins Mark Roberts in joint-47th)
10-Sep-2023 Every penalty (taken) (now 551/784 converted, 70.2% success rate)
10-Sep-2023 Steven Lawless ('Every Goal' tab updated - up to 54)
10-Sep-2023 Steven Lawless ('Every Penalty' tab updated - now 3/3 converted, 100% success rate)
10-Sep-2023 Ben Stanway ('Every Goal' tab introduced)
10-Sep-2023 Marvin Bartley (opposition manager)
10-Sep-2023 Euan Anderson (match official) (stats updated)
10-Sep-2023 Graham McNeillie (match official) (stats updated)

10-Sep-2023 Michael MacDermid (match official) (stats updated)

:detective:  CHALLENGE CUP FAIL ENDS RECORD HOME RUN

Steven Lawless becomes the first Jag since Stuart Bannigan (2019) to convert his first three regular-play penalties for Thistle.
● With his 46th goal, Steven Lawless joins Mark Roberts in joint-47th in our elite competitive goals chart.
Ben Stanway scores his first goal for Thistle.
● Thistle have failed to keep a clean-sheet in their opening 10 competitive games of the season. You need to rewind to 2003 (16) to find a longer opening run in that regard.
● Thistle have now lost all three of their Challenge Cup jousts with Queen of the South, one at home, one away and one at a neutral venue.
Kris Doolan's Jags lose at home for the first time. The record run of 12 competitive home games unbeaten at the beginning of a tenure went one better than the 11 set by Alan Archibald in 2013.
● Thistle exit the Challenge Cup against lower league opposition for the second season in a row.

ongoing sequences:
● 38 consecutive competitive appearances for Aidan Fitzpatrick, 3rd Dec 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jack McMillan - 52 games, 9th Jul 2022 to 4th Jun 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
Edited by The Thistle Archive

On 9/9/2023 at 5:48 PM, Duke Gekantawa said:

Erm.. no. Doolan will be judged on league form only. Going out of the challenge cup will not have an iota of a relevance to Doolan’s position; no more than if we won the thing but were in a relegation battle.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek!!

The result is, I agree, completely irrelevant with regard to Doolan's future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

My comment was tongue-in-cheek!!

The result is, I agree, completely irrelevant with regard to Doolan's future.

not completely. If we had won the SPFL Trust trophy as part of a domestic quadruple (I know we are already out of the league Cup) then we might have been looking at a future without Kris. Academic now.