SPFL Trust trophy

jaggy

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ah, so is it the Challenge Cup?

If so, I hope we lose early on. Much bigger fish to fry.

Like we can be choosy! It’s the only realistic chance of reaching any final and that’s only happened once in I don’t know how many attempts

We have this discussion about the merits of the Challenge Cup every season. Some can't be arsed with it. Call it a Mickey Mouse competition or simply an irrelevance. Others think we're getting above our station if we dismiss it. Great chance of getting to a cup final etc etc. Altho' I attend these games I tend towards being in the former camp. 

It doesn't matter what counter arguments, no doubt many logical, that folk put up in favour of the Challenge Cup, I just can't get that fussed about it. Yet again I wouldn't necessarily discount making the trip to play Coleraine or some Welsh outfit.

eta Confused or what? :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

6 hours ago, CotterJag said:

It's one of those that we can readily discount, should we lose in one of the early rounds. Falkirk away last year being an example.

On the other hand, the final at Livi v QOS, was a great day out.

I wouldn't mind another one of those tbh.

Is it really one that can be discounted ? I think last year’s defeat at Falkirk was the beginning of the end for McCall as it showed that what we thought was a good squad wasn’t as good as we thought. 

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We have this discussion about the merits of the Challenge Cup every season. Some can't be arsed with it. Call it a Mickey Mouse competition or simply an irrelevance. Others think we're getting above our station if we dismiss it. Great chance of getting to a cup final etc etc. Altho' I attend these games I tend towards being in the former camp. 

It doesn't matter what counter arguments, no doubt many logical, that folk put up in favour of the Challenge Cup, I just can't get that fussed about it. Yet again I wouldn't necessarily discount making the trip to play Coleraine or some Welsh outfit.

eta Confused or what? :)

Can it not be both ?

Micky Mouse tin pot cup if we fail to get to the final

Valuable piece of coveted silverware if we win it

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jaggy said:

Like we can be choosy! It’s the only realistic chance of reaching any final and that’s only happened once in I don’t know how many attempts

20 participations

3 semi-finals...  Airdrie (H) 0-1, Ross County (A) 2-2 lost on penalties, Raith Rovers (H) 1-2.

1 final...  Queen of the South 1-1 lost on penalties.

Played 47, Won 27, Drawn 5, Lost 15, For 93, Against 58.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Given the demise - or downgrading - of "local competitions" such as the Glasgow Cup, Renfrewshire Cup etc. perhaps this competition at least has a veneer of first team involvement about it - admittedly it isn't taken too seriously at the beginning but progression to the latter stages inevitably ncreases interest (admittedly from a very low base). Our record is pitiful and perhaps betrays a attitude problem at the club about the competition in general. 

52 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

20 participations

3 semi-finals...  Airdrie (H) 0-1, Ross County (A) 2-2 lost on penalties, Raith Rovers (H) 1-2.

Getting to the semi final 1 season in 5 on average seems ok to me. 

13 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Is it really one that can be discounted ? I think last year’s defeat at Falkirk was the beginning of the end for McCall as it showed that what we thought was a good squad wasn’t as good as we thought. 

If it was the beginning of the end for McCall, then it was because he thought that our second string and I probably include Fitzpatrick in that at the time, were good enough, when they clearly were nowhere near.

I was at the game with friends and family, including my nephew, who was attending his first game, and felt cheated tbh.

There was a decent Thistle support there that night and for me, McCall chose minutes in untried and uncaring legs over trying to win the game.

He chose to discount it, the fans clearly didn't.

Having said that, I'll stick by my point and say that overall, I was less disappointed with this loss than a loss in any other competition, including the league of course. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CotterJag said:

If it was the beginning of the end for McCall, then it was because he thought that our second string and I probably include Fitzpatrick in that at the time, were good enough, when they clearly were nowhere near.

I was at the game with friends and family, including my nephew, who was attending his first game, and felt cheated tbh.

There was a decent Thistle support there that night and for me, McCall chose minutes in untried and uncaring legs over trying to win the game.

Having said that, I'll stick by my point and say that overall, I was less disappointed with this loss than a loss in any other competition, including the league of course. 

Guess in a way you're emphasising my indifference to the Challenge Cup. If your manger undervalues the competition then it's likely your players are less motivated. That attitude has to reflect on the fans.  I doubt any manager has been sacked due to a poor Challenge Cup result. Conversely he's very unlikely to have held on to his job purely on his success in that trophy. 

Even if we value the Challenge Cup highly, we have to realise that it's unlikely to be reciprocated by the Club. 

1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

Totally agree with your assessment of the non-performance against Falkirk last year. We should have been told in advance that the team would regard it as a training exercise and no attempt would be made to win, rather than fans being conned into attending on the understanding that they were going to be watching a competitive fixture.

I also had some potential young Thistle fans in attendance, and had to apologise to them. I am normally the most positive of supporters, but that night was a disgrace.

12 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

20 participations

I think it was Cowdenbeath we beat in the semi-final?

12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Getting to the semi final 1 season in 5 on average seems ok to me. 

Would prefer we weren't having to compete in this tournament. However, given we are doing so, I would expect KD to demand that the fixtures are taken seriously, and that the objective is to win the tournament.

Getting to the semi-final on average once in every five attempts sounds very similar to being happy to finish fourth in the league (not meant as a dig towards you LJ).

Should that be the level of our ambition?