Thistle v Ayr

thornwoodjag

Poor performance all round..Stevie was left to do most of it on his own and Williams, Milne and Neilson the only other pass marks. 

Absolute ridiculous from Doolan with those subs. Both of them should have been on 20 mins earlier. How Stanway and Williams made it to 90 mins is beyond me. How can dools have been standing there at 70 mins or so thinking this is all fine to see us through. Crazy. 

27 minutes ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Just back from that. 

Actually played well in 2nd half.  Our pressing was so much better than at Hampden. 

Ref was really appalling   - Ross Hardie - remember that name!!

Agreed - much better than Friday .

Thought Milne , Neilson , Lawless and McInroy  were our best performers .

Willians looks nervous about taking his man on .

A poor game, but at this level preparing for the predictable should surely be a must. It seems to be the Thistle way to leave set pieces to chance.

I've lost count of the number of times throw-ins go straight to an opposing player. Williams played competently at right-back, but he was one of a long series of our players to do this. 🤡

Then there are the corners: luckily, this evening the ball broke repeatedly to our players, but aside from Sneddon's header, have we scored from the first touch of the ball after a corner? Do we have any players allocated the task of attacking the ball at corners? This is a team set up to use wingers crossing into the box, yet corners seem to be left in the lap of the gods, or to Graham's poaching skills.

Watched the 'stream' and its really poor quality. Beyond the couple of times it breaks down the pictures from the main camera are a poorer quality than the other camera's. Really not good enough when charging £12 for a game.

Actual game on the pitch was even poorer. 2 poor teams that will struggle to stay away from the relegation playoff spot. Neither team knew how to defend and we were very fortunate that we got a favourable decision from the linesman as I reckon the Ayr boy was onside.

Used to get very frustrated with McCall sticking to 4-3-3 no matter which player were available. Doolan has gone the same way with 4-2-3-1 even though our best performances under were playing 4-4-2.

I think the idea in picking Williamson on the left wing was to stop Chalmers playing and equally going with Williams was more about stopping Murphy. To that extent it worked however you setup a team to stop an opponent you tend to stop your own natural game and for an opponent like Ayr we are affording them too much respect even with some of our regulars missing. You could see that happening as anytime Williams has possession he looked uncomfortable, any time Williamson got possession he knew he didn't have the pace or skill to anything other than hold the ball up and play in someone else.

Williamson still looks the most physical midfielder we have and I still think he must be worth a shot as a no 6 alongside McInroy who should be playing as no 8. If we don't do that for Saturday away to Arbroath we will be on the end of another heavy loss.

We are 11 games into the season and we still don't know how to defend, don't know our best midfield and don't really know how to use subs.

We could easily get sucked into the relegation battle. Alarm bells are beginning to get louder.

25 minutes ago, johnkebab71 said:

Poor performance all round..Stevie was left to do most of it on his own and Williams, Milne and Neilson the only other pass marks. 

Absolute ridiculous from Doolan with those subs. Both of them should have been on 20 mins earlier. How Stanway and Williams made it to 90 mins is beyond me. How can dools have been standing there at 70 mins or so thinking this is all fine to see us through. Crazy. 

Tbf, nobody wanting to understand a game should be in a dugout: the vision is too restricted. It's amazing that all managers don't watch from a higher vantage point and relay instructions to the dugout. (Phone, walkie-talkie, wifi, even a runner - why not?) Without modern communications, Brian Clough opted to sit in the stand.

• Like 1

Even first half and imo we were the better team second half, although not much in it. Didn't think Ayr looked like scoring in the second half until they got their penalty, which for me was never a pen. We were unlucky not to get a third when we hit the post with about 10 minutes to go.

Pretty poor performance in my opinion. Williamson contributed nothing and shouldn't have come out for the second half. Lawless flogging a dead horse on his own, but thought Milne showed touches of form. Get Mitchell back on. Far too slow with the subs. Crowd looked small and felt subdued. Catching the 7.30 boat home in the morning. Maybe we'll have picked up when I'm back.Ref crap.

Edited by belfastjag
Forgot

Good bit improvement from Friday night insomuch we competed for the ball all over the park. We're not necessarily that good at doing it but can't fault effort. Milne appears to be getting back on form. Tho' he made a few errors, McInroy was a driving force in midfield. 

More miffed with the ref than the team tonight.

• Like 2

Halloween with not much in the way of Tricks or Treats from a very ordinary Thistle side - a draw was a fair result against an Ayr side with not much to offer. Both our goals came from poor defending with their keeper not looking too great...dopey play from Milne to concede the first equaliser...I was too far away to have a clear view of the penalty but I did think that Muirhead had been fouled.

Milne's goal seemed to give him a boost as he was excellent in the second half...Neilson looks a class act...most of the rest were ok although I wasn't sure about Stanway's role. The substitutions were baffling - Alston did nothing other than miss our best chance...don't know what his strengths are but doubt they are as auxiliary striker. Quite ludicrous to wait to bring on two subs until 2 minutes to go, though Zander did more than Williamson had done in the rest of the game.

I hope Doolan can find something to add fire and zip to this squad but we look miles off being a side challenging for promotion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Halloween with not much in the way of Tricks or Treats from a very ordinary Thistle side - a draw was a fair result against an Ayr side with not much to offer. Both our goals came from poor defending with their keeper not looking too great...dopey play from Milne to concede the first equaliser...I was too far away to have a clear view of the penalty but I did think that Muirhead had been fouled.

Milne's goal seemed to give him a boost as he was excellent in the second half...Neilson looks a class act...most of the rest were ok although I wasn't sure about Stanway's role. The substitutions were baffling - Alston did nothing other than miss our best chance...don't know what his strengths are but doubt they are as auxiliary striker. Quite ludicrous to wait to bring on two subs until 2 minutes to go, though Zander did more than Williamson had done in the rest of the game.

I hope Doolan can find something to add fire and zip to this squad but we look miles off being a side challenging for promotion.

Thought that Ben was initially playing in a position more suitable to James Lyon, Once Stanway dropped deeper he played fine. Doesn't win many first balls but still manages to break up play. Moves the ball quicker than most.

• Like 1

Puzzled by some of the selections / decisions.. 

playing BG in the 10 role against QP and playing Stanway in the 10 role tonight, neither works. Play either McInroy or Alston in the 10 role instead. 
Williamson may have been played wide in the last 2 games to stop them but he doesn’t have the pace to beat them in that position.  When MacKenzie came on (with 2 mins to go) he skinned them for pace. And why wait until 2 mins to go to make the changes?! 

Again, McDonald doesn’t play so he’s unlikely to when Fitzpatrick returns, so what’s the point in having him. 

Ref was honking. Let them away with no bookings (especially McGinty) yet booked Milne. His goal seemed to perk him up and we saw flashes of the Harry Milne of last season.

We’ve dropped 9 points in the last 4 games, 4 points against mediocre opposition in the last two, and Doolan doesn’t seem any closer to figuring out our best line up although there was more dig in our play than the QP game.

Their right back must've been relieved he only had to play against Zander for two minutes.... Just weird to leave the substitutions so late.

Apart from that, Milne played well once he'd woken up, Williams did okay at right back - call me naive but I think there's a player there. Neilson strolled through much of the game.

McMillan and Fitzpatrick were both doing some training runs during the warm up, so hopefully not too far away.

While our form is nowhere near where it should be, I'm not writing this season off just yet. If Milne continues where he left off this evening and McMillan comes back, performances should improve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Even first half and imo we were the better team second half, although not much in it. Didn't think Ayr looked like scoring in the second half until they got their penalty, which for me was never a pen. We were unlucky not to get a third when we hit the post with about 10 minutes to go.

They were unlucky not to get a third either though as I’m not sure their goal was offside 

Second half was a big improvement on the first half display. I know we have injury issues but Doolan needs to stop playing so many guys out of position. 

Stanway was lost in the first half, can’t play with his back to goal in the 10 role. As echoed by others, what is the point in McDonald if he can’t start in Fitzpatrick’s absence? Williamson did well defensively but didn’t get by his marker once, choosing to play backwards every time. Thankfully Milne showed glimpses of last years form and helped drive us forward. 

I think most teams would struggle missing the key starters that we currently are but that still feels like 2 points lost. Doolan needs to improve his in game management quickly, the lateness of those subs last night was baffling. 

Williams was fine at right back. I actually think he could be a decent player but seems to play at 80%. If he upped his aggression and pace of play I think he’d be an asset. Neilson is very good, brings the ball out well.

The less said about Muirhead’s shot the better!