Club AGM

Fawlty Towers

11 minutes ago, elevenone said:

The club needs to start thinking outside the box with smaller details.  A lot of new students arrive every year from all over the Uk to just down the road.  Do we market them, put forward the non OF perspective, offer better facilities, catering etc.  Maybe game packages?  Have deals with women’s team cause at end of the day it’s all about getting Partick Thistle out there.

Spot on…..and very relevant in that Donald McClymont first attended firhill when he came to Glasgow as a student  …..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, elevenone said:

I am going to leave out the aside back and forth revenue chat as it is outwith the full realms of my understanding albeit an interesting read.

However @Jordanhill Jag  (and I haven’t agreed much with him in the past) has it spot on with small details like the toilets, facilities etc being of importance.  To use an example :- me and my lad attended all home games together then he started stepping out with new girlfriend of non football persuasion.  Takes her to a few games and after seeing what the toilets are like, catering etc she is like no thanks not for me.  End result being she no longer will attend and has most Saturdays taken him away from Firhill too as they are happier spending their dosh at cinema,bowling,pub etc where they can enjoy a better level of comfort.  Knock on effect is £44 per home game lost outwith other matchday spends (50-50,programme,food etc) That is obv a tiny sample but that adds up over a season.

The club needs to start thinking outside the box with smaller details.  A lot of new students arrive every year from all over the Uk to just down the road.  Do we market them, put forward the non OF perspective, offer better facilities, catering etc.  Maybe game packages?  Have deals with women’s team cause at end of the day it’s all about getting Partick Thistle out there.

Absolutely. Facilities, including the toilets, are an important part of the picture. For what it's worth, I know that some work has actually been done this season on the toilet facilities, but this was largely a tidy-up and paint-job. The Club has quite a small facilities team (including volunteers) but they've made some really good progress in places this year.

Edit: I should add here that although Jim makes snarky references on here to the Her Game Too presence and interventions at the Club, they were actually responsible for addressing a long-standing problem with the women's toilets in terms of getting the Club to include properly stocked sanitary facilities. It's an important reminder of the direct influence that fan groups and fan activism can have.

For the benefit of those who weren't at the AGM, questions were specifically asked about facilities and stadium maintenance (by The Jags Trust, the Trustees agreed to split the themes of our questions between us to cover as much of what had been brought to us by the fans as possible).

The CEO, Chris Ross, explained that the Club has a rolling list of key facilities priorities (with safety compliance essentially being top of the list). For example, there has been a rolling programme to replace or fix broken seats in both stands over the course of this season.

Proper renovation of facilities has up-front cost implications, and when you're a Club without a significant cash buffer, it's difficult to commit to more ambitious projects. The lack of hot water in the toilets is one that's come up before (indeed, it's come up at previous AGMs) and the reason for not doing it has always come down to the cost being very substantial to install it.

This is where fan ownership comes in in terms of helping to shape priorities of the Club, but also identifying people and businesses within the Thistle community who can help.

Improving facilities was something that came up time and time again in the TJF Census survey, which we're hoping to get the results out on soon. It'll also be one of the things we seek to do follow-on consultation on in conjunction with the Club, so that there is a better sense of what fans think is more and less important to their match-day experience.

Edited by Woodstock Jag
  • Like 1

@laukat I think you make a great point.  Lots of my friends dropped away from football of various teams and national team with the arrival of children.  It's hard work for both parents.  Having facilities where people can wait and be entertained would be a good addition.

@elevenone we are a small club with limited staff numbers.  I think this is where volunteers from TJF could come to the fore and use their skills and time to get new fans especially students.

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Absolutely. Facilities, including the toilets, are an important part of the picture. For what it's worth, I know that some work has actually been done this season on the toilet facilities, but this was largely a tidy-up and paint-job. The Club has quite a small facilities team (including volunteers) but they've made some really good progress in places this year.

Edit: I should add here that although Jim makes snarky references on here to the Her Game Too presence and interventions at the Club, they were actually responsible for addressing a long-standing problem with the women's toilets in terms of getting the Club to include properly stocked sanitary facilities. It's an important reminder of the direct influence that fan groups and fan activism can have.

For the benefit of those who weren't at the AGM, questions were specifically asked about facilities and stadium maintenance (by The Jags Trust, the Trustees agreed to split the themes of our questions between us to cover as much of what had been brought to us by the fans as possible).

The CEO, Chris Ross, explained that the Club has a rolling list of key facilities priorities (with safety compliance essentially being top of the list). For example, there has been a rolling programme to replace or fix broken seats in both stands over the course of this season.

Proper renovation of facilities has up-front cost implications, and when you're a Club without a significant cash buffer, it's difficult to commit to more ambitious projects. The lack of hot water in the toilets is one that's come up before (indeed, it's come up at previous AGMs) and the reason for not doing it has always come down to the cost being very substantial to install it.

This is where fan ownership comes in in terms of helping to shape priorities of the Club, but also identifying people and businesses within the Thistle community who can help.

Improving facilities was something that came up time and time again in the TJF Census survey, which we're hoping to get the results out on soon. It'll also be one of the things we seek to do follow-on consultation on in conjunction with the Club, so that there is a better sense of what fans think is more and less important to their match-day experience.

Yeah Yeah - you can find the Money to upgrade Hospitality and the 71 Club ( and an external Contractor was used ) because thats part of the Big Cunning Plan that Hospitality is going to resolve the Revenue Issue - but you cant find the Cash for upgrading the Women's Toilets which might actually assist in Growing the Fan Base long term 

As for HGT Jlo announced over a Year Ago that the Club would be Stocking Free Sanitary Products in the Female Toilets 

There was No Snarky Comment - PR exercises are pointless -unless you improve the overall Matchday Experience for Females which Toilets are an important part of 

And I honestly cannot believe that in this Day and Age a Fans Group is questioning upgrading Female Toilets -that are circa 30 Years Old against upgrading Hospitality and the 71 Corporate Lounge

Why does TJF have to “ Consult” about upgrading Female Toilets - what complete and utter Rubbish 

If this was under Jlo TJF would be given her Pelters ( and I was no Fan of the Jlo Tenure ) but seriously this is ridiculous 

11 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Yeah Yeah - you can find the Money to upgrade Hospitality and the 71 Club ( and an external Contractor was used ) because thats part of the Big Cunning Plan that Hospitality is going to resolve the Revenue Issue - but you cant find the Cash for upgrading the Women's Toilets which might actually assist in Growing the Fan Base long term 

As for HGT Jlo announced over a Year Ago that the Club would be Stocking Free Sanitary Products in the Female Toilets 

There was No Snarky Comment - PR exercises are pointless -unless you improve the overall Matchday Experience for Females which Toilets are an important part of 

And I honestly cannot believe that in this Day and Age a Fans Group is questioning upgrading Female Toilets -that are circa 30 Years Old against upgrading Hospitality and the 71 Corporate Lounge

Why does TJF have to “ Consult” about upgrading Female Toilets - what complete and utter Rubbish 

If this was under Jlo TJF would be given her Pelters ( and I was no Fan of the Jlo Tenure ) but seriously this is ridiculous 

This post has very neatly encapsulated how you deliberately misconstrue and twist things to suit your agenda, accusing people of saying things they clearly haven't said. It is profoundly bad faith on your part to suggest that I was somehow "questioning" whether the female toilets should be upgraded.

I will simply make three observations:

(a) No one here has questioned whether the female toilets should be upgraded - they should.

• I made a separate observation about the provision of hot water in all toilets, which the Club has previously ruled-out installing on grounds of cost.

(b) No one on here has said that the hospitality lounge should be a higher priority than toilets

• You have inferred that from the fact that the Club has spent some money doing the lounges up. You have absolutely no idea whether they plan to make major improvements to the toilets facilities (whether those for women or for anyone else) because you haven't even asked them.

(c) Despite pronouncements (or in your terms, "PR-exercises") on sanitary provision by the previous board, if you actually spoke to any female fans you would know that last season there was a persistent problem with supplies running out and not being replenished.

• Her Game Too raised this with Beth at the Club shortly after they formed at Thistle and the result was consistently better-stocked sanitary provision in the women's toilets in both stands. Not PR-exercises: practical results.

17 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

This post has very neatly encapsulated how you deliberately misconstrue and twist things to suit your agenda, accusing people of saying things they clearly haven't said. It is profoundly bad faith on your part to suggest that I was somehow "questioning" whether the female toilets should be upgraded.

I will simply make three observations:

(a) No one here has questioned whether the female toilets should be upgraded - they should.

• I made a separate observation about the provision of hot water in all toilets, which the Club has previously ruled-out installing on grounds of cost.

(b) No one on here has said that the hospitality lounge should be a higher priority than toilets

• You have inferred that from the fact that the Club has spent some money doing the lounges up. You have absolutely no idea whether they plan to make major improvements to the toilets facilities (whether those for women or for anyone else) because you haven't even asked them.

(c) Despite pronouncements (or in your terms, "PR-exercises") on sanitary provision by the previous board, if you actually spoke to any female fans you would know that last season there was a persistent problem with supplies running out and not being replenished.

• Her Game Too raised this with Beth at the Club shortly after they formed at Thistle and the result was consistently better-stocked sanitary provision in the women's toilets in both stands. Not PR-exercises: practical results.

Its funny because until I mentioned them -not one person had ever raised the issue of Toilets- or mentioned there link to Matchday Experience and Fan Growth ? 

At the AGM we were told about upgrades in the Hospitality & 71 Lounges - we were told about Reviews of other Areas to possibly upgrade to Hospitality -as part of the Strategic Revenue Plan 

Not a mention beyond a vague reference to a Maintenance list in the Stadium -about investment in Toilets - Not a mention about a Fan Growth Strategy - now if they existed -you would have thought they would get mentioned ? 

So No -Im not misconstruing things -the Board gave speeches on there Priorities if Upgrading Fan Facilities and Fan Growth was a Priority- they would have said so 

as for Supplies running out of Sanitary Products thats simply bad management by those responsible - nothing more - The Board should have its arse kicked -as no one was bothering to check on supplies 

Anyway the upside is that Female Toilets will now be a priority going forwards 😊 

As for my “ Agenda” what would that be exactly ? Raising issues and questions that TJF would have been all over -if it was the previous Board ? 

11 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Really ? 

So you have done a detailed analysis of the Actual Profit made for Hospitality ? 

Taking Off - Food - Free Bar - Waitress Staff - other staff - overhead for Sales - Marketing - Admin ? 

Heating - & Electricity Costs - spreading the cost of any Capital Spend over each game 

Taking off the Matchday Ticket that the vast Majority would have bought anyway   

You Have done all that ? 

Where is your Growth in Hospitality when it only holds 200 People - as that seems to be the Big Plan on how we get to a balanced budget ? 

But Shudder the Thought anyone might actually suggest we increase the Fan Base 

Of course the Team Doing well has an impact - But Rangers were Relegated to the Lowest Tier in Scottish Football & still sold out there Stadium - so simply saying its just about results is an excuse for doing nothing 

How any Football Club ( and there Supporters Organisation ) can remotely defend the complete lack of interest in Growing there Fan Base - which has the largest potential for increasing Revenue is Beyond me 

But I forgot we have the American Money - and we can sell off more Shares in Tranche 2 

So it doesn't really matter  

You need to do the detail.  You are trying to convince the Board not to upgrade Hospitality, but do the ladies toilets instead.

I am just seeing what you have presented and asking you to show you come up with your figures. 

For a start you have assumed that everybody going into hospitality would have bought a match day ticket. 2nd - you have deducted the full price of the match day ticket(including VAT) from the Hospitality price excluding VAT.  You’ve picked 350 because it works mathematically - but again you have forgotten about VAT and concessions. 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

You need to do the detail.  You are trying to convince the Board not to upgrade Hospitality, but do the ladies toilets instead.

I am just seeing what you have presented and asking you to show you come up with your figures. 

For a start you have assumed that everybody going into hospitality would have bought a match day ticket. 2nd - you have deducted the full price of the match day ticket(including VAT) from the Hospitality price excluding VAT.  You’ve picked 350 because it works mathematically - but again you have forgotten about VAT and concessions. 

Ok so add £4 onto the Hospitality cost plus work on 80% of Fans would have bought a Match Ticket - growing the Fan base by 10% is still more than double what you can achieve if you MAX out Hospitality every single Home Game 

your opportunity for Growth in Hospitality is both marginal-  and is resource hungry reducing the available revenue  

Your opportunity for Growth in the fan base is another 5000 Fans as we have an empty Stadium - and the overhead Matchday is the same if its 2000 or 8000

The Board are like an Airplane Company trying to sell Business Class whilst Flying an Empty Plane as there is No one in Economy 

what this means is that serious questions have to be asked if we have the correct people on the Board 

Im not “ trying to convince” anyone - TJF looked at the Accounts last Year - identified major issues - concluded we need a New Board 

Im looking at the proposed Strategy and Focus for growing income so that we can Trade at Breakeven as a proper Business - not have the USA Reserves being used to underwrite losses - have the TJF money used to allow us to target couple of very good players who will win promotion- rather than prop up a loss making business 

So bottom line is if we are going to be successful we need to break out of the cycle of mediocrity that has dominated for the last few years

Boards are held to Account by Shareholders - in our case our major Shareholder is so wrapped up in the small politics and enjoying being “ in the Know” that they have lost sight of the fact there supposed to actually look at things objectively and make decisions

The objective decision last Year was we need a New Board   

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 1

This is a false choice we need to do both…..just as we need a strategy to attract kids, women, students, disabled fans, lapsed fans etc etc

the danger is we do things isolated with an overall strategy of how to increase our fan base.

39 minutes ago, javeajag said:

This is a false choice we need to do both…..just as we need a strategy to attract kids, women, students, disabled fans, lapsed fans etc etc

the danger is we do things isolated with an overall strategy of how to increase our fan base.

I think the above is probably is a very fair comment. The only thing I would add is I think we have a strategy of increasing the supporter base. the U16 ticket price has been the main cornerstone of that over the years and clearly our second strategy is to increase revenue from hospitality and strategy the missing part to my mind is a multi year plan to deliver the strategy

If there was a plan that said year 1 we upgrade hospitability, year 2 target is bathroom facilities and so on then I think it would galvanise what seems to be well intentioned reactive projects.

One of the advantages of fan ownership in my head was it took you away from an owner who would at best only plan for the length of their interest in the club. The fans will always be here so potentially a 5/10 year plan is now something that could be developed and kept moving?

28 minutes ago, laukat said:

I think the above is probably is a very fair comment. The only thing I would add is I think we have a strategy of increasing the supporter base. the U16 ticket price has been the main cornerstone of that over the years and clearly our second strategy is to increase revenue from hospitality and strategy the missing part to my mind is a multi year plan to deliver the strategy

If there was a plan that said year 1 we upgrade hospitability, year 2 target is bathroom facilities and so on then I think it would galvanise what seems to be well intentioned reactive projects.

One of the advantages of fan ownership in my head was it took you away from an owner who would at best only plan for the length of their interest in the club. The fans will always be here so potentially a 5/10 year plan is now something that could be developed and kept moving?

I don’t disagree…..it seems we lack an overarching plan to work on the various potential fan segments …..I suspect lapsed fans is a big one for example….and end up doing tactical things that have become ‘issues’.

for me Kingsley has been the best thing we have done in recent years and has given us great coverage , it’s in the ‘ not your typical mascot category ‘ which could potentially be a marketing hook for us generally as a club.

we have lots of marketeers in the fan base and should get a group to work on this issues. We need some innovative thinking.

More fans equals more revenue.

13 hours ago, elevenone said:

I am going to leave out the aside back and forth revenue chat as it is outwith the full realms of my understanding albeit an interesting read.

However @Jordanhill Jag  (and I haven’t agreed much with him in the past) has it spot on with small details like the toilets, facilities etc being of importance.  To use an example :- me and my lad attended all home games together then he started stepping out with new girlfriend of non football persuasion.  Takes her to a few games and after seeing what the toilets are like, catering etc she is like no thanks not for me.  End result being she no longer will attend and has most Saturdays taken him away from Firhill too as they are happier spending their dosh at cinema,bowling,pub etc where they can enjoy a better level of comfort.  Knock on effect is £44 per home game lost outwith other matchday spends (50-50,programme,food etc) That is obv a tiny sample but that adds up over a season.

Excellent points.

I remember a good 20 years ago there were a bit of a promotion of the club at Glasgow Uni for instance when i attended.  I was already a long term supporter by that point anyway but it was a good way of attracting potential new supporters.

Alas my uni days are long behind me so i have no idea if there is stil much promotion of the club at any of the cities Universities or colleges.

Completely agree with you as well about the toilet facilities etc too

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

I don’t disagree…..it seems we lack an overarching plan to work on the various potential fan segments …..I suspect lapsed fans is a big one for example….and end up doing tactical things that have become ‘issues’.

for me Kingsley has been the best thing we have done in recent years and has given us great coverage , it’s in the ‘ not your typical mascot category ‘ which could potentially be a marketing hook for us generally as a club.

we have lots of marketeers in the fan base and should get a group to work on this issues. We need some innovative thinking.

More fans equals more revenue.

I think lapsed fans is a very good area to look at. I suspect this seasons season ticket numbers will be higher than normal due to fan wanting to help the club out at the point where finances looked really bleak.

I would hope that we have considered some sort of deal that helps to keep those new season ticket holders into a second year and 3rd year so they become established season ticket holders otherwise we may very quickly get a drop in season ticket holders and effectively more lapsed fans.

I also think we need to look at how we can better contact walk up fans. Surely one of the advantages of online ticket sales is that you have a method of contact for pay at the gate fans? I would hope there was some analysis of that data to start targeting fans that are frequent attenders but who don't have a season ticket to help develop a path to making them season ticket holders.

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

I didn’t make it that choice. But if you don’t have the finance to do everything, you need to pick the one with the highest return. It needs accurate assessments, not ones skewed for your favoured one.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Excellent points.

I remember a good 20 years ago there were a bit of a promotion of the club at Glasgow Uni for instance when i attended.  I was already a long term supporter by that point anyway but it was a good way of attracting potential new supporters.

Alas my uni days are long behind me so i have no idea if there is stil much promotion of the club at any of the cities Universities or colleges.

Completely agree with you as well about the toilet facilities etc too

The obvious way to promote the club at the 3 Glasgow universities would be a stall at the year start Freshers Week in September.  Too late for this season, but good for the future.

Some support or interest in the universities' football teams (male and female) may also produce dividends. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I didn’t make it that choice. But if you don’t have the finance to do everything, you need to pick the one with the highest return. It needs accurate assessments, not ones skewed for your favoured one.

Sure …. But at least you have a priority list with some thought behind it … I’m not sure that’s what we currently have 

1 hour ago, laukat said:

I think lapsed fans is a very good area to look at. I suspect this seasons season ticket numbers will be higher than normal due to fan wanting to help the club out at the point where finances looked really bleak.

I would hope that we have considered some sort of deal that helps to keep those new season ticket holders into a second year and 3rd year so they become established season ticket holders otherwise we may very quickly get a drop in season ticket holders and effectively more lapsed fans.

I also think we need to look at how we can better contact walk up fans. Surely one of the advantages of online ticket sales is that you have a method of contact for pay at the gate fans? I would hope there was some analysis of that data to start targeting fans that are frequent attenders but who don't have a season ticket to help develop a path to making them season ticket holders.

Yes…. Lots of good ideas that need to be put into a coherent plan 

6 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

The obvious way to promote the club at the 3 Glasgow universities would be a stall at the year start Freshers Week in September.  Too late for this season, but good for the future.

Some support or interest in the universities' football teams (male and female) may also produce dividends. 

Agree entirely, tho' suggestions as such deserve a thread of their own.  Better than here and getting dwarfed in what's turned into something more suited for a seminar.

There is never ever ever an argument for choosing to invest in growing Hospitality vs Growing the Fan Base 

I will repeat - if you’re Flying a Plane you cannot choose to promote Business Class over actually filling the plane ? Or your flying empty planes and losing money 

If the serious argument is that the Board have “ picked “ investing in Growing Hospitality - which is already average circa 60/70% Capacity over a Season - so max your adding 40 extra Bodies vs Growing the Fan Base then bluntly - we need a new Board 

What part of if you grow your Fan Base Hospitality numbers increase because you have a larger potential Customer Pool are you not getting ? 

As for Skewed Figures - so an exact breakdown of the max you can add onto Hospitality was carried out ? cost of meal free bar waiting staff other staff admin & sales costs / energy costs all deducted 

and that calculation was compared to adding 10% onto your Home Gate ? 

Never in a Million Years would Growing Hospitality get a Greater Return 

Whatismore TJF went along with this - where was the analysis of the Finances carried out last year - where were the awkward questions - is it a case of TJF Directors on the Board signed it off - so we cant be seen to go against the Board ? 

No wonder Tranche 2 of Financing was getting talked about to the Press - we are never getting out of this Cycle and the Board or TJF are not really that fussed about it 

38 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

When you've finished with hospitality and the toilets is there any spare cash left to upgrade the floodlights? They've deteriorated badly over the last few seasons. When I see Friday night matches on BBC I'm struck how much brighter other clubs' are.

I think we just need all the bulbs working for starters

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

There is never ever ever an argument for choosing to invest in growing Hospitality vs Growing the Fan Base 

I will repeat - if you’re Flying a Plane you cannot choose to promote Business Class over actually filling the plane ? Or your flying empty planes and losing money 

If the serious argument is that the Board have “ picked “ investing in Growing Hospitality - which is already average circa 60/70% Capacity over a Season - so max your adding 40 extra Bodies vs Growing the Fan Base then bluntly - we need a new Board 

What part of if you grow your Fan Base Hospitality numbers increase because you have a larger potential Customer Pool are you not getting ? 

As for Skewed Figures - so an exact breakdown of the max you can add onto Hospitality was carried out ? cost of meal free bar waiting staff other staff admin & sales costs / energy costs all deducted 

and that calculation was compared to adding 10% onto your Home Gate ? 

Never in a Million Years would Growing Hospitality get a Greater Return 

Whatismore TJF went along with this - where was the analysis of the Finances carried out last year - where were the awkward questions - is it a case of TJF Directors on the Board signed it off - so we cant be seen to go against the Board ? 

No wonder Tranche 2 of Financing was getting talked about to the Press - we are never getting out of this Cycle and the Board or TJF are not really that fussed about it 

They already added 10% without investing in anything.

1 hour ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Why wait?  I’d say get in there now.  I like the idea about some kind of partnership with the Uni team.  Did McGuigan not come to us from a Uni team?

17 hours ago, javeajag said:

Spot on…..and very relevant in that Donald McClymont first attended firhill when he came to Glasgow as a student  …..

Agree with @elevenone and this. Students are geographically part of our fan constituency. We offer something different from the Old Firm.