January Transfer Window

JAG1970

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If you include Fitz and Lawless as midfielders then I can get to 11 without thinking 

Excellent. A full team then lol. Seriously though, given modern day squad sizes are we really out of kilter? And does it matter....if Thomas made a critical difference? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Not sure if I can get too excited about the January window. My recollection of the past 2 seasons is that all we could manage was an extension to Lee Hodson’s loan plus signing Robbie Crawford. 

Agree. The main differences with the summer window are fairly obvious. Very few players will be out of contract in January. Many who might be available only become "surplus to requirement" if and when they can be replaced. Even then those players will often weigh up pre contract offers against moving on. Effectively a move can often occur only after a whole chain of events outside the control of both the buying and selling clubs. 

Guessing here (but fairly logical) that above situations suit agents who'll be a few steps ahead having the knowledge just who on their books wants to move on and who maybe have to cajoled into leaving their present club. Doolan like any other manager is rightfully open to criticism re their signings (and those they voluntarily release) but I feel they should be given a fair bit more latitude re what happens or fails to happen in January.

• Like 1

I agree withvtje majority view  on this thread that  Thomas would be a great signing. However I can't seecit happening for three reasons.

Firstly, if a transfer fee is required I doubt we could outbid either Dundee Utd (if they were in the race) or Raith Rovers (assuming they still have money to burn).

Secondly, at 27 years of age Thomas will, I think, be looking to sign for an SPL club  and 

3. If he is thinking about voting to the Jags hexeill have doubts about replacing Fitzpatrick or Lawless.

We could of course change our formation to 4-4-2 to accommodate him.

Graham and Adeloye as our Strikers.

Our Midfield could be

Fitzpatrick Thomas McInroy Lawless 

The defence:  Milne, Neilson, New CH, McMillan

Our left wing would be Milne, Fitzpatrick & Thomas! - impressive I think!

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Doolan is focussing on the right areas in the window …. Our issue is conceding goals , scoring isn’t the problem.

Strengthening the defensive midfield area and the central defence is absolutely right.  

Scoring goals was a problem against Dundee United but.  
Anyway this looks an excellent signing and we know he is definitely match fit as well 

Posted (edited)

Good age with plenty of experience,  knows the league, and clearly a threat from set pieces as we know to our cost. Looks a good signing and Dools has been tracking him since the summer.

According to this article 5 clubs + Raith wanted him

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4859625/raith-rovers-dan-oreilly-competition-contract-talks/

Edited by JAG1970