Morton v Thistle Jan 13

9 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agreed - although not very long ar Raith it doesn't show much in the way of loyalty or consideration for his O'Reilly and this would be noticed by the rest of the squad.

I think the absence of Stanton is also a factor. On Pie & Bovril fans are saying he is their best player. Seems he is now injured and could be out for a few weeks.

Raith Rovers being 'not so cuddly'. They are planning for a possible step up to the Premiership. The rest of the squad will know that they need to fight for a job next season. Nothing wrong with that.

I've seen a hell of a lot of bad refereeing recently but not sure if I've ever seen a ref completely lose the plot as much as that. In mitigation, it was a difficult game to ref, scrappy and ill tempered.

Poor performance saved by a brilliant goal.

• Like 1

Would quite like to see the 11 that finished this game start the next game. Stanway, McBeth and Robinson bring much more energy and drive than Bannigan, McInroy and Alston.

Graham and Lawless are great players but a game or 2 coming off the bench may do them no harm and perhaps recharge batteries. Graham is a good asset to have at the end of the game both for his attacking and defensive abilities. Equally a fresh Lawless might pose new challenges for defenders, whereas he has seemed to tire in the last few games. Adeloye and Diack have strength and running power and can both finish.

Just a thought. I was pleased to see all 5 substitutions well used today as sometimes Doolan has seemed a bit slow and reluctant to make changes.

• Like 1

Having watched the highlights, looks like we should’ve had at least one penalty, probably two.

The one at the end on Stanway is of the ‘stonewaller’ variety. If he stays on his feet, very good chance he scores. Dreadful decision.

Other one clearly hit a Morton hand, but I don’t really know what is / isn’t a penalty anymore, but reckon a certain team who play in blue would’ve been given it…

• Like 2

It would nice to see Robinson, Macbeth and Diack start next week. I thought Diack was brilliant when he came on, he was getting back helping the midfield out won a few tackles, thought his energy was brilliant. 

Robinson looks a far far better player than any of our other attacking/midfielders to me, the best if seen of Mcinroy was when he moved into the Lawless position last week when we made a few subs. Don’t think he can be an out and out Central midfielder for us. 

ive said this a few times now but Banzo unfortunately is finished at this level. He isn’t mobile enough for what we need and he genuinely can’t tackle anymore.. if we need someone to come on and maybe try and keep a hold of the ball for the last 15/20 mins then by all means bring him on. But he can’t start.

I would like to see something along the lines of.

Sneddon

Mcmillan  Neilson    O’Reilly   Milne

Macbeth  Stanway

Mcinroy          Robinson           Fitzy

Graham

Would love to see that.

Not worth going over that scrap too much.

In terms of line-up having McInroy and Alston in midfield gives an advantage to the opposition.

Alston seems to be all about what he does off the ball and the runs he makes.

Drew a couple of fouls and did make a good run into a scoring position early second half.

I'm not too sure what McInroy contributed, especially in a game you need your central players digging in and passing the ball.

I thought Bannigan was the best of the three and found he was fighting fires at times especially the first half. Rightly subbed as he was on a yellow and maybe lucky not too get another.

Also up front, Brian Graham is isolated and also doesn't have the pace to threaten the opposition back line. He needs someone playing closer and I would not be against Adeloye getting a run of starts.

I would have Stanway back in the starting line-up. Robinson has done well in last two games so I'd like to see what he can do in the #10 role.

I can see a few changes for next week, what they are not so much.

The positive too take is we have a good squad with options available to the manager. 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:21 AM, Thistle88 said:

It would nice to see Robinson, Macbeth and Diack start next week. I thought Diack was brilliant when he came on, he was getting back helping the midfield out won a few tackles, thought his energy was brilliant. 

Robinson looks a far far better player than any of our other attacking/midfielders to me, the best if seen of Mcinroy was when he moved into the Lawless position last week when we made a few subs. Don’t think he can be an out and out Central midfielder for us. 

ive said this a few times now but Banzo unfortunately is finished at this level. He isn’t mobile enough for what we need and he genuinely can’t tackle anymore.. if we need someone to come on and maybe try and keep a hold of the ball for the last 15/20 mins then by all means bring him on. But he can’t start.

I would like to see something along the lines of.

Sneddon

Mcmillan  Neilson    O’Reilly   Milne

Macbeth  Stanway

Mcinroy          Robinson           Fitzy

Graham

Would love to see that.

I would like to see Diak and Adeloye playing together up front. Both are big, strong, mobile and have the goal scoring instinct.

Robinson has made a strong case for a starting place so would get my vote.

Rest Bannigan,  Graham, McInroy, Muirhead and Lawless.

I would go for the following playing

4-1-3-2.

Sneddon,

McMillan, Neilson,

O' Reilly and Milne;

McBeth

Stanway, Robinson, Fitzpatrick;

Adeloye and Diack.

Next league game against Airdrie will be harder than last Saturday against Morton.

The above formation will force Airdrie to keep 3 defenders back to mark our strikers.

By all accounts Airdrie are a big strong physical team so we need to counter that by getting as many physical players as possible onto the park.

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I would like to see Diak and Adeloye playing together up front. Both are big, strong, mobile and have the goal scoring instinct.

Robinson has made a strong case for a starting place so would get my vote.

Rest Bannigan,  Graham, McInroy, Muirhead and Lawless.

I would go for the following playing

4-1-3-2.

Sneddon,

McMillan, Neilson,

O' Reilly and Milne;

McBeth

Stanway, Robinson, Fitzpatrick;

Adeloye and Diack.

Next league game against Airdrie will be harder than last Saturday against Morton.

The above formation will force Airdrie to keep 3 defenders back to mark our strikers.

By all accounts Airdrie are a big strong physical team so we need to counter that by getting as many physical players as possible onto the park.

Wouldn't be surprised if Doolan, who normally selects a predictable line up, will experiment a bit at Dingwall rather than change things from new at Airdrie.

I'm not sure Airdrie are as physical as Morton. Our obvious weakness is in defensive mid, so a lot depends on whether McBeth is deemed reliable/fit enough to fill that role on his own. If that's the case then we can play an attacking midfield. My read is that playing both Bannigan and Alston doesn't offer enough mobility regardless of the centre mid situation. Guessing here but if McBeth starts then Bannigan would also start. The advanced midfield role, if Graham starts, probably still goes to McInroy by default. 

Further up the field I feel that if Graham is in the starting line up then both Lawless and Fitzpatrick are automatic picks. If Big Brian doesn't start then there's a good few more options available in both personnel and formation. 

Clearly O'Reilly has to start soon. Regardless of form, Muirhead (he was solid at Cappielow) definitely needs a break to rest/repair a couple of separate injuries. Whether he's played till the fixture break in February or not is anyone's guess. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Doolan, who normally selects a predictable line up, will experiment a bit at Dingwall rather than change things from new at Airdrie.

I'm not sure Airdrie are as physical as Morton. Our obvious weakness is in defensive mid, so a lot depends on whether McBeth is deemed reliable/fit enough to fill that role on his own. If that's the case then we can play an attacking midfield. My read is that playing both Bannigan and Alston doesn't offer enough mobility regardless of the centre mid situation. Guessing here but if McBeth starts then Bannigan would also start. The advanced midfield role, if Graham starts, probably still goes to McInroy by default. 

Further up the field I feel that if Graham is in the starting line up then both Lawless and Fitzpatrick are automatic picks. If Big Brian doesn't start then there's a good few more options available in both personnel and formation. 

Clearly O'Reilly has to start soon. Regardless of form, Muirhead (he was solid at Cappielow) definitely needs a break to rest/repair a couple of separate injuries. Whether he's played till the fixture break in February or not is anyone's guess. 

I don't disagree with your suggestions, but making quite a few changes would be very un-Doolan-like.

He appears to strongly value consistency in team selection and thinks it makes it easier for players to know their roles as mentioned in various Jagzone interviews. He doesn't seem to drop players because of their form, at all - only for injury (including senior players returning from injury or to stop square pegs in round holes such as Wasiri filling in at LB).

Personally I think sticking with a losing team a la the side that lost to Dundee United is a mistake, and sends out a very poor message, but the team did win the following fixture (albeit scrappily at times), so go figure...

I'd really like to see McBeth, O'Reilly and Robinson starting, and a good bit of game time for James Lyon. Alston, McInroy and Muirhead could all do with being benched imo. Not averse to rotating the srikers too. But as I said, I don't expect it.

(PS doesn't all this belong in a RC match thread, or do we all have the fear?)

4 hours ago, MarciaBlaine said:

I don't disagree with your suggestions, but making quite a few changes would be very un-Doolan-like.

He appears to strongly value consistency in team selection and thinks it makes it easier for players to know their roles as mentioned in various Jagzone interviews. He doesn't seem to drop players because of their form, at all - only for injury (including senior players returning from injury or to stop square pegs in round holes such as Wasiri filling in at LB).

Personally I think sticking with a losing team a la the side that lost to Dundee United is a mistake, and sends out a very poor message, but the team did win the following fixture (albeit scrappily at times), so go figure...

I'd really like to see McBeth, O'Reilly and Robinson starting, and a good bit of game time for James Lyon. Alston, McInroy and Muirhead could all do with being benched imo. Not averse to rotating the srikers too. But as I said, I don't expect it.

(PS doesn't all this belong in a RC match thread, or do we all have the fear?)

We can whisper and fear and moan about having to return there after our disaster.

Or Dools  can use this as a motivator, get the boys right up for it and fire right into them with the beautiful football of which we are capable. Take back some of what they took from us.  Hopefully we’ll have a fair ref this time and no var.

• Like 1