Ross County in the Cup

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

I seem to remember him having a stinker at Firhill maybe last season (Cove?) but so many of them are very poor just now

He did referee our championship winning game v Falkirk! Although those who watched the Under 20’s years ago he had a brutal one at Hamilton!

4 hours ago, jaggy said:

I seem to remember him having a stinker at Firhill maybe last season (Cove?) but so many of them are very poor just now

You can say that again.

Poorest bunch I can remember  in nearly 60 yrs of watching the Jags.

1 hour ago, michael m said:

He did referee our championship winning game v Falkirk! Although those who watched the Under 20’s years ago he had a brutal one at Hamilton!

I will make a donation to the referees benevolent fund or the individual referee's charity of choice when I see a referee penalise a goalkeeper for holding on to the ball for longer than 7 seconds! Not to tell you how to do your job but would be interested if you paid attention to that (on both sides) tomorrow. Also, is it too hard for assistants to see if the goalkeeper is holding the ball outside the box before they kick it? Rant over.

50 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I will make a donation to the referees benevolent fund or the individual referee's charity of choice when I see a referee penalise a goalkeeper for holding on to the ball for longer than 7 seconds! Not to tell you how to do your job but would be interested if you paid attention to that (on both sides) tomorrow. Also, is it too hard for assistants to see if the goalkeeper is holding the ball outside the box before they kick it? Rant over.

Sneddon will need to get a move on if they started to penalise goalies for that. Not disagreeing with you btw.

45 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Sneddon will need to get a move on if they started to penalise goalies for that. Not disagreeing with you btw.

I want to see all keepers getting a move on, the ball is in play for a relatively small amount of time and I don't want to see a chunk of that with the keeper lying on top of it after taking a cross my elderly gran could have taken without hitting the deck!

10 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I want to see all keepers getting a move on, the ball is in play for a relatively small amount of time and I don't want to see a chunk of that with the keeper lying on top of it after taking a cross my elderly gran could have taken without hitting the deck!

Is this elderly gran you speak of a free agent at the moment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

That implies you also have a gran who isn’t elderly. How does that work ?

54 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Is this elderly gran you speak of a free agent at the moment?

She is but does drive a hard bargain, not sure if the club could meet her terms - a season's supply of those pink wafer biscuits, a free Sunday Post delivered each weekend and a new fluffy toilet seat cover!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That implies you also have a gran who isn’t elderly. How does that work ?

I suppose my other gran stopped being elderly when she passed away. Another thing that annoys me, google putting a picture of someone on their homepage and telling us it is their 189th birthday - no it is not!

8 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

The "funniest" (i.e., most infuriating) thing about Sneddon in possesion of the ball is the following, almost unvarying sequence:

1: Catches the ball, 2: with one hand urges his team-mates to get up the field, but 3: he has no intention of releasing the ball, so drops it on the ground and stands still, until 4: an opposition player makes a half-hearted attempt to approach the ball, 5): ever alert, Jamie feigns to go to kick the ball,  and so 6: the opposition player gives up his half-hearted approach (satisfied that his manager will have clocked how alert he is), 7: Jamie, now with both hands free, flaps them back and forward in what I think is a gesture to urge his players to get up the field, but 8: he still has no intention of actually doing anything yet with the ball, as he's enjoying the moment, but eventually 9a: he makes a short pass to a defender three yards away, or 9b: he punts the ball directly to an opposition player in the middle of the park or else out for a shy. Since step 1, this sequence has taken anything up to 30 seconds, but usually longer if we are losing and time is running out.

And as for taking goal kicks, that's something else! As a rough guideline, double the amount of time taken to release the ball (largely due to the obligatory strolling across the 6-yard line to the opposite side of the goal to where the ball went out, with possibly a change of mind half-way there).

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The "funniest" (i.e., most infuriating) thing about Sneddon in possesion of the ball is the following, almost unvarying sequence:

1: Catches the ball, 2: with one hand urges his team-mates to get up the field, but 3: he has no intention of releasing the ball, so drops it on the ground and stands still, until 4: an opposition player makes a half-hearted attempt to approach the ball, 5): ever, alert, Jamie feigns to go to kick the ball,  and so 6: the opposition player gives up his half-hearted approach (satisfied that his manager will have clocked how alert he is), 7: Jamie, now with both hands free, flaps them back and forward in what I think is a gesture to urge his players to get up the field, but 8: he still has no intention of actually doing anything yet with the ball, as he's enjoying the moment, but eventually 9a: he makes a short pass to a defender three yards away, or 9b: he punts the ball directly to an opposition player in the middle of the park or else out for a shy. Since step 1, this sequence has taken anything up to 30 seconds, but usually longer if we are losing and time is running out.

And as for taking goal kicks, that's something else! As a rough guideline, double the amount of time taken to release the ball (largely due to the obligatory strolling across the 6-yard line to the opposite side of the goal to where the ball went out, with possibly a change of mind half-way there).

Thankfully Jamie does distribute the ball a tad faster than it took you to type this ( maybe not much in it ). However, I suspect his distribution capabilities have very little outcome on our games. Bigger picture out there. 

10 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Thankfully Jamie does distribute the ball a tad faster than it took you to type this ( maybe not much in it ). However, I suspect his distribution capabilities have very little outcome on our games. Bigger picture out there. 

Disagree. Sense they will have, but of course can't provide anything to substantiate.

7 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I wonder why Stanway has fallen out of the picture recently.

He got an injury in training on the Friday before the Arbroath game so that is why he missed that game then he was straight back in the squad for Morton and came off the bench so don't think he has fallen out of the picture. Robinson has done well coming off the bench recently so the manager probably wants to see him starting a game and thinks Bannigan & McInroy are the best two to make up the midfield beside him in this instance.

15 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

2 former Thistle players combining - Callum Booth crossing for Craigen to score.

I have just watched the last 10 mins of the game and scrolled back to see Craigen"s goal.  From about 18 yds, he took the ball first time at about waist height and side footed it high into the net. Craig Gordon was rooted to the spot in the centre of the goal.

It was a spectacular effort by Graigen.

However, to describe Callum Booth's strike as a cross is very generous. In my opinion  Booth totally misfit the ball and sliced it to Craigen!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

He got an injury in training on the Friday before the Arbroath game so that is why he missed that game then he was straight back in the squad for Morton and came off the bench so don't think he has fallen out of the picture. Robinson has done well coming off the bench recently so the manager probably wants to see him starting a game and thinks Bannigan & McInroy are the best two to make up the midfield beside him in this instance.

I didn’t know he had been injured. Thanks for the info.

57 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Decent enough side but disappointed Doolan didn't go with 2 up front, say Diack and Adeloye!

No idea what the  score will be but will be surprised (and delighted) if we win this one.

I would be amazed if Doolan ever started with 2 up front. It is not his style.