I don't think he is going anywhere but if he does so be it. In my mind its players that make the difference and we currently have the best group we have had in years. It's not being unrealistic to expect a new manager to pick up the baton and carry on the success. Its rare that a manager gets a job when a team is doing well but in some ways I think that is where Jackie was lucky. I think McCalls influence still is evident in ths team and he definitely started this process in my eyes. I don't know the details of his departure but I would have him back in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I think McCalls influence still is evident in ths team and he definitely started this process in my eyes. I don't know the details of his departure but I would have him back in a heartbeat.

I don't either. I know a lot of people here do, and I know this is slightly off-topic, but if someone could PM me the details that would be great. Always wondered since he left - and I've got an idea - but would like to know for definite.

I think McCalls influence still is evident in ths team and he definitely started this process in my eyes. I don't know the details of his departure but I would have him back in a heartbeat.

I agree with the first part here. McCall put the core of our team together and we play the way McCall wanted to play. Ultimately though, I don't think he had the ability to get us to play as well as we have done this season. Jackie's fresh eyes and fresh ideas made him the ideal man to build on what McCall started. I'm not sure I'd want McCall back, but I'd certainly have him as a caretaker (if he was willing) should Jackie be poached.

I'm not getting the McCall love in - It felt to me at the time that everything at the club was beginning to stagnate. I can only speculate but I don't think we'd be in as strong a position either on the park or off it, if he was in his position for any longer than he was. As I said earlier, this only got worse after he'd spoken to Dundee. Fcuk sake - remember Lovell being offered repeated contracts and it being a big thing to go two games unbeaten!

I see him pretty regularly around the west end and more often than not he's still got his Thistle tracksuit on. He was behind me in traffic one day and was giving it the thumbs up etc. at my Thistle window sticker. It is a shame because we've obviously got some place in his heart, but I really think it would be a massive step backwards to have him involved again.

I'm not getting the McCall love in - It felt to me at the time that everything at the club was beginning to stagnate. I can only speculate but I don't think we'd be in as strong a position either on the park or off it, if he was in his position for any longer than he was. As I said earlier, this only got worse after he'd spoken to Dundee. Fcuk sake - remember Lovell being offered repeated contracts and it being a big thing to go two games unbeaten!

I see him pretty regularly around the west end and more often than not he's still got his Thistle tracksuit on. He was behind me in traffic one day and was giving it the thumbs up etc. at my Thistle window sticker. It is a shame because we've obviously got some place in his heart, but I really think it would be a massive step backwards to have him involved again.

Whilst we started to stagnate under him, we did come a long way under him. Just compare the team Jackie inherited to the one that Campbell left.

Sorry, shouldn't mention the Dick just before bedtime, might give forum readers nightmares.

Would like to think that Jackie would decide to see if he can win a league and a cup with us this season. I can't imagine the higher salary on offer would be an immediate deciding factor for him plus DU are cutting playing budget, while if we get to SPL our budget should increase. If he achieves trophies with us this season and does ok next season I'm sure clubs bigger than DU will be knocking at the door for him in the very near future.

Whilst we started to stagnate under him, we did come a long way under him. Just compare the team Jackie inherited to the one that Campbell left.

Sorry, shouldn't mention the Dick just before bedtime, might give forum readers nightmares.

Players/staff we have that McCall kept/brought in (to the best of my memory!)

Jackie, Sid, Hinchy, Archie, Conrad (on Jackie's reconmendation), Erskine, Rowson, Doolan, Bannigan and Welsh(?). I would say that the team probably has more a Jackie stamp on it than a McCall one.

Anyway, I don't think Jackie will leave us yet FWIW.

I don't see a move to Dundee United as a smart move for Jackie at this point in his career.

A domestic cup, albeit a Challenge Cup and a League Title looks far more impressive than consolidation in the SPL. Even at this stage of the season, Dundee Utd have absolutely nothing to play for, so if Jackie can continue the good work here, far more lucrative offers from down south are going to arise sooner rather than later.

At this stage it would appear that Old Brown Shoes is still the leading contender for the job (God knows why), with Steve Kean and Phil Brown's name also being tossed around. I'm hopeful that we can retain Jackie.

Players/staff we have that McCall kept/brought in (to the best of my memory!)

Jackie, Sid, Hinchy, Archie, Conrad (on Jackie's reconmendation), Erskine, Rowson, Doolan, Bannigan and Welsh(?). I would say that the team probably has more a Jackie stamp on it than a McCall one.

Anyway, I don't think Jackie will leave us yet FWIW.

Fox and Paton too. So from Saturday's team: Fox, Archie, Balatoni, Paton, Bannigan, Welsh, Erskine. Did Doolan not come on as a sub too?

Actually, were Archie and Sid not Campbell signings?

Not to criticise Jackie saying he hasn't made the team - he took a good competent team at this level and dressed them up turning them into contenders.

Edited by twinny

I don't see a move to Dundee United as a smart move for Jackie at this point in his career.

A domestic cup, albeit a Challenge Cup and a League Title looks far more impressive than consolidation in the SPL. Even at this stage of the season, Dundee Utd have absolutely nothing to play for, so if Jackie can continue the good work here, far more lucrative offers from down south are going to arise sooner rather than later.

At this stage it would appear that Old Brown Shoes is still the leading contender for the job (God knows why), with Steve Kean and Phil Brown's name also being tossed around. I'm hopeful that we can retain Jackie.

Consolidation? They're 7 points off a champions league place and play rangers at home in the Scottish Cup on Saturday! Would you say that's nothing to play for?

I don't either. I know a lot of people here do, and I know this is slightly off-topic, but if someone could PM me the details that would be great. Always wondered since he left - and I've got an idea - but would like to know for definite.

Don't want McCall back, he burned his bridges.

Ah, so now we know why there was all those subtle references to no smoke without fire..

I don't think he is going anywhere but if he does so be it. In my mind its players that make the difference and we currently have the best group we have had in years. It's not being unrealistic to expect a new manager to pick up the baton and carry on the success. Its rare that a manager gets a job when a team is doing well but in some ways I think that is where Jackie was lucky. I think McCalls influence still is evident in ths team and he definitely started this process in my eyes. I don't know the details of his departure but I would have him back in a heartbeat.

And if you did, you wouldn't.

Fox and Paton too. So from Saturday's team: Fox, Archie, Balatoni, Paton, Bannigan, Welsh, Erskine. Did Doolan not come on as a sub too?

Actually, were Archie and Sid not Campbell signings?

Not to criticise Jackie saying he hasn't made the team - he took a good competent team at this level and dressed them up turning them into contenders.

Look at the youth set-up, fitness levels, way team plays now - McCall maybe laid the foundations and signed the above named players, but the players are all better players now than they were under McCall, fitness and desire to never give up is different world from under McCall, and the youth set-up was poorer, now much improved under McNamara, and hasn't signed anywhere near the percentage of wasters that McCAll was prone to bringing in.

When Jackie does leave, the fear is all these factors will start swinging back to the negative.

• Like 1

I thought Archie was brought in by McCall to replace Boyd. Also Welsh was signed on loan by McNamara last season, was he not?

Bannigan hardly kicked a ball under McCall. Was maybe out on loan under him. McNamara also switched Paton to midfield.

McCall as manager again? Not a snowball's chance in hell of this happening, imo.

Edited by jagfox