Can anyone confirm if Jackie has actually spoken to DU. I can only find the Daily Record reporting that story this morning. The remaining tabloids suggest that Elvis is a (brown) shoe in and our compensation package appears to be too much for them.

From Sky Sports-

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson reportedly met with Falkirk manager Steven Pressley and Partick Thistle boss Jackie McNamara on Sunday night, with ex-St Johnstone and Bristol City manager Derek McInnes also linked with the post.

Although that might be from the same source as the Record.

Tinny,

The 2 guys you mention are no longer in jobs. Admittedly,Coyle had a good run but Mcinnes didn't last long at Bristol. And what if Thistle win neither the cup or promotion - jackies stock goes down. Football Management is all about being in the right place at the right time, and maybe that is the case for Jackie just now.

Coyle was a very big success at Burnley and did very well initially at Bolton. Had it not been for some bad injuries he may have continued to do well in that job, though I appreciate that it was his job to organise the team following those injuries. Coyle will get another good job when he wants to get back into it. McInnes will easily get a job in Scotland and could probably get a League One job easily enough.

Why does it bother? Dundee Utd are a much bigger club than Thistle & any Thistle manager is bound to see a move there as a big step up.

I hope he doesn't go, but if he does I wouldn't blame him

Dundee Utd are a bigger club than Thistle on just about every level; but even so, they are a still a bit of a yo-yo club. They have been relatively successful over the last few seasons, but prior to that they were scrabbling around at the foot of the SPL. They are also currently skint, meaning their better players, e.g. Mackay-Steven and Russell, may not be there for very much longer.

If he stays with Thistle, McNamara could possibly find himself facing United in the SPL next season (quite conceivably scrabbling around at the foot of the SPL). If you look at it like that, then Dundee Utd at this moment in time isn't such an enticing prospect, especially while the First Division title and Challenge Cup remain within touching distance.

The fact that it is the Record who are linking McNamara with the job is a source of reassurance though!

Dundee Utd are a bigger club than Thistle on just about every level; but even so, they are a still a bit of a yo-yo club. They have been relatively successful over the last few seasons, but prior to that they were scrabbling around at the foot of the SPL. They are also currently skint, meaning their better players, e.g. Mackay-Steven and Russell, may not be there for very much longer.

If he stays with Thistle, McNamara could possibly find himself facing United in the SPL next season (quite conceivably scrabbling around at the foot of the SPL). If you look at it like that, then Dundee Utd at this moment in time isn't such an enticing prospect, especially while the First Division title and Challenge Cup remain within touching distance.

The fact that it is the Record who are linking McNamara with the job is a source of reassurance though!

in the last 5 seasons United have finished 5th, 5th, 3rd, 4th, 4th... and currently sit 7 points off second with only 3 days left of the transfer window meaning it highly unlikely they will loose any players...

they won the scottish cup 3 seasons ago.

not even touching how regularly they have played in europe.

plus the fact they are offering about 120k a year wages.

you are right, Jackie could stay and may find himself facing them next season..... but the way our away form is, he may not...

he's been for at least 1 interview, that to me says he'd rather be dundee united manager than thistle manager.

you can say dundee united are a yo yo club in the SPL..... tell me what you would describe us as, based on cold year on year stats?

Maybe we should start turning our attention to whos going to suceed Jackie?

Thankfully the renegotiated contract means that if jackie leaves, we can offer a manager a competitative wage. also as a top two team fighting for the league, we become an attractive proposition to a lot more managers than previous seasons, also the fact there is only 3 days left in the transfer window means very few players may leave, if there is a change of manager taking place.

• Like 1

If Jackie did decide to go why it is a cert that Sid will follow him, would he not relish the chance to be the manager of Thistle with his choice of assistant, Archie for example.

IMHO I think they are a package. At the moment I think Simon would be happy to ne right hand man for a wee while yet then move on if he builds his reputation as coach in SPL.

Disappointed to learn this morning that Houston's left. I've thought for a while now McNamara won't be at Firhill for much longer, ie. leaving at the end of the season or at the end of next season (if we were promoted). Now there's a real chance he could leave mid-season and that would cause a huge dent to our title hopes. I wouldn't begrudge Jackie a move in the summer, and ideally would like to see him manage us in the SPL too, but for him to leave now would be a massive blow. Hopefully he won't.

At the beginning of this whole saga I thought McInness would be a cert. I find it strange that he's not really in the picture and that it seems to be between Jackie & Pressley (& Billy Dodds if you heard him on Saturday :lol:).

Jackie has achieved nothing so far in terms of titles or trophies. I feel he will see out this season and maybe another one, hopefully in the SPL or whatever it will be called.

He has brought together a great squad on a shoestring budget and the players have responded with entertaining and largely winning football.

If he left in the summer I'd wish him all the best, leaving now for a team in the bottom half of the SPL would leave a slightly sour taste in the mouth.

Who is his advisor/agent? Darren Jackson?

I hope he stays and leads us to the division title. In Jackie I trust. I appreciate he has to look out for his own best interests but he still has a lot to offer Partick Thistle.

If Jackie did decide to go why it is a cert that Sid will follow him, would he not relish the chance to be the manager of Thistle with his choice of assistant, Archie for example.

They are without a doubt a team and would be leaving Firhill as a team. If it comes about and I hope it doesn't then the best option for me to keep the consistency at the club would be to put Archie and Maxy in charge. To bring someone new in with the bunch of players we have and spirit within the club would be a disaster at this stage I reckon.

I wish there was a transfer window for managers as well as players!

It makes a difference that clubs want to hire our managers instead of us forking out to bullet duffers. I don't think anyone would grudge Jackie the opportunity of managing a bigger club with a larger budget, albeit one that is diminished in comparison to recent years. United are clearly looking for someone who is content to manage without much financial backing and will look towards younger players. Jackie has shown this year that he can put a winning team on the park within the budget provided which is going to garner attention from prying eyes. If he doesn't leave for this one - which I'm still relatively confident he won't - it won't be long before we're faced with another interested chairman looking to have a chat with him.

As much as I acknowledge that United are a bigger club, I don't think a move there will considerably increase his exposure. The end game for Jackie, as it is for most managers in Scotland, is a move down south but we've seen in recent years that Championship clubs are willing to look in the First Division. I would argue that a league championship and domestic cup double with a provincial club would look a helluva lot better on Jackie's CV than simply maintaining status quo with a team who, even with a reduced budget, will still be miles ahead of a number of rivals with regards to the terms they can offer players.

The worry about him leaving at this stage is obviously the effect it could have on our title aspirations and our chances in the Challenge Cup final. I would hope that he'd like to stay to at least give it shot. But as its been said, we're in the strongest position we've been for a number of years in terms of attracting potential replacements. The important thing is that we maintain a philosophy of playing decent football, investing in youth and giving guys a platform to go on and better themselves.

They are without a doubt a team and would be leaving Firhill as a team. If it comes about and I hope it doesn't then the best option for me to keep the consistency at the club would be to put Archie and Maxy in charge. To bring someone new in with the bunch of players we have and spirit within the club would be a disaster at this stage I reckon.

I disagree. IF Jackie left, I wouldn't want to see Archie taking over with us so close to promotion. He's got no experience and I would go as far as saying appointing Archie would surrender our title push. Someone like Bollan would come in, I'd imagine. But, I've got renewed hope that Jackie won't leave us anyway.

in the last 5 seasons United have finished 5th, 5th, 3rd, 4th, 4th... and currently sit 7 points off second with only 3 days left of the transfer window meaning it highly unlikely they will loose any players...

they won the scottish cup 3 seasons ago.

not even touching how regularly they have played in europe.

plus the fact they are offering about 120k a year wages.

you are right, Jackie could stay and may find himself facing them next season..... but the way our away form is, he may not...

he's been for at least 1 interview, that to me says he'd rather be dundee united manager than thistle manager.

you can say dundee united are a yo yo club in the SPL..... tell me what you would describe us as, based on cold year on year stats?

I acknowledged in my previous post that Dundee Utd have been successful in recent seasons by their standards. However, they are a club in the process of making cut backs, which makes them a slightly less attractive prospect today than they would have been a year or two ago. They may well retain the services of their better players for the time being, but you can bet your boots if any semi-decent offers come in over the summer they will be on their way.

Despite this, McNamara may still view it is a worthwhile move. For obvious reasons I hope he does not. At least, not while we are still in with a shout winning the league. And to answer your question, I would describe Thistle, based on the past five season's stats, as an average to middling Division One team, although one that is starting to show signs of reaching 'that next level'.

Edited by Guy Incognito