Beattie, Paton And Erskine

javeajag

Expect one more to head to Tannadice as I said last week. No complaints from me. Paton and Erskine have done great and now they move on....fact of life if you support us. Just hope the fans dont turn on them in the last few weeks. They have been a big part of our success this season

Erskine has done a lot more tracking back over the last few games and put in a good shift all over the park. Granted only a couple of sparks of the creative play we've become used to, but I believe he's nursing a back injury from the assault early in the cup final.

Sad to see him go, hopefully the scouting network can find another couple of gems to replace him and Paton.

Very surprised at the comment that Erskine hasnt kicked a ball for weeks. True he had a poor Ramsdens final however i thought he played well tonight and made a huge difference when he came on on Saturday.

I don't know about Saturday, but he looked slow and uninterested to me tonight, and his touch was almost uniformly awful. Was not at all surprised to come home to read the news. Still, if any Arabs watched/listened to the cup final, the Morton match and then tonight, they must be wondering what the hell their manager has just done ...

Like I said, cheers for the season. He'll still get his winners medal. But I'd like to see players play the next three games that want to be here next season.

• Like 1

Dont mind him.playing but certainly shouldnt be captain.

Since he has been given the captain's armband Erskine hasn't looked the same. He hasn't exactly played poorly - unlike some I didn't think he did all that badly tonight - but it has just seemed like the responsibility of the captain's role has held him back a bit. Tonight's game was crying out for a wee bit of Erskine magic, a la Falkirk.

I'll be gutted when Erskine leaves though. With him in the team I would really fancy our chances of doing well in the SPL, but those are going to be some big boots to fill. Players like him don't come along very often, at least not in Scotland.

Paton will be a huge loss too: one of McNamara's biggest success storires, for me, was converting Paton from a stuffy, somewhat one-footed right-back into a ball-winning holding midfielder and a leader on the park. I reckon his presence in the dressing room will be sorely missed too.

Fair point

But still: that money would prove vital in enhancing this squad for SPL

I'd love to see Bachirou come in for Paton. Erskine will be much harder to replace, he's almost a one off

Only thing that can make up for this disappointment is to get Harkins.

As for Paton would Scougal from Livingston gets rave reviews maybe even better than Bachirau. Dont know if Bobby Barr is still training with us

I agree with peagreenboy. Erskine hasn't kicked a ball for some weeks now. He's a great player on his day, I think we would all agree with that, but lately he's been out of sorts. His first touch has deserted him. I would put him on the subs bench next game and give Craig and Doolan a go up front together with Lawless

I take it you weren't at airdrie?

We played craig n doolan and it didnt work. Erskine came on and single handedly changed the game. And i thought he was by far our most dangerous player tonight, oovely touches turns and forced few saves from mcgurn.

I will miss them both, welcome back anytime. Sincerely wish them both every success

• Like 5

Sad to see both them go...no hard feelings...well not until next year when the tangerine visit Firhill and I hope they both play like donkeys!

Erskine has not been himself last few weeks...giving ball away way to much for my liking.

So all the best to them...go to go where the dosh is I suppose.

All the best to the two lads, a sign we will struggle to compete for the signings of established SPL players if we can lose two of our better players due to opponents being able to offer substantially increases to the wages we can offer.

Erskine has had to play a more reserved role with the introduction of Craigen, as James seems to have quite a free role for a midfielder.

Also we have been grounding out results but feel we have missed out on Paton's tenacity in the midfield engine room. Bannigan has been imperious and Welsh is getting better. They maybe miss PP sweeping up and harrying the opposition a bit.

At least Fox is staying so some good news and I guess two decent wages have been freed up for re-building.

Moving forward we will need to think outside the box for augmenting the squad. Bachirou is under contract so a move for him or the likes of Taylor at Falkirk and Scougall at Livingston are unlikely unless someone wins the national or euro lottery between now and July. I'm off to check my tickets :innocent2:

Edited by jagfox

Next season is next season. I want to celebrate this one, and these guys have been major parts (possibly the two greatest parts) in my favourite season in thirty years as a Jags fan. I hope they enjoy the party and I wish them every success in their career. My estimation of both is completely unaffected by this. Thanks guys.

• Like 2

Quite a few players are looking tired, or at least mentally tired as we stagger towards winning the league but some fans choose to read other things into this.

It's a limited squad of around 18 players including the manager and subs. The postponements have not helped us.

I despise McNamara and his club.

Dont blame the players, just wish they had chosen to go somewhere else

It's what I was saying in work - they've had a good season and now will have Scottish clubs come in for them. However, stay and have another successful season in the SPL with us and you'll have league 1/championship clubs come in for you. Then the sky's the limit and you don't stagnate on a 3 year contract with a team that's cutting back.

• Like 1

Paddy McCourt can replace Erskine.

He's out of contract in the summer interestingly. Doubt our wage offerings would be anywhere near what he'll have been used to with the Unwashed however, and bigger clubs than us will be after him. On the subject of dropping Erskine it makes sense to play our strongest team to rack up as big a points tally as we can, but I feel for Mark McGuigan who just isn't getting a look-in. I wouldn't be too opposed to giving him a chance.

Disappointed by this news, but not entirely unexpected. At least they left it until after we'd effectively sealed the league. They're bth great players and I wish them all the best against every team excep us next season. If you watch the highlights these are NOT players who haven't given their all for the team over the season to get us to where we are now. Watch Erskine's celebration on Saturday after the second goal - says it all. They have not derelicted their duties.

• Like 1

we've missed paton the last few games and it has shown. definite need of replacement there. hopefully we have a new erskine in the ranks or at least on radar.

p'd off to see them go, don't think utd are up too much, think they would be better sticking with us til winter transferthingy and looking at their options... but... thanks for working hard and true whilst you were here lads

Let's not kid ourselves on here that any player we lose who we'd prefer to have kept, in an ideal world, is going to be easy to replace.

Just because we can name a player who can play in the same position and we think could do a similar job is no guarantee that we will be able to get this player.

If he's available and the man for the job the likelihood is someone else may well have noticed him and we all know that we wont be able to outbid many in terms of any fee or wages.

But equally the current state where many of our players are being talked about as interesting other clubs sure beats the hell out of where we were not so many years ago where even we didn't want most of the collection of has beens and never weres that were disgracing the jerseys.

With our comparatively shallow pockets we still need to be a developing and selling club at the moment and we just have to believe that we have the structures in place to find the next Erskine or the next Paton and the next and the next and the next.

It's been a while since I could say that with any honesty but right now I believe.

So good luck to Erskine and Paton, thanks for the good times and play shite against us when we meet again please.

Edited by The Prince of Kadriorg

Like everyone else,sad to see them go and thanks for their contribution to a great season.

No need to criticise them as they have been huge for us and they deserve to celebrate as much as anyone else so no dropping from the team as far as I'm concerned.

We need our best team on the park until the league is secured and Erskine is deffo part of that(and Paton if fit).

Mon the Jags!

• Like 1