Just In

p12tfc

Disappointing not to win the league tonight but hey it's just a matter of time now. Thought we looked a wee bit nervous and there were a few tired players out there tonight. Forbes final ball wasn't the best along with odonnell. Seen erskine and welsh having better games too. On to Falkirk on Saturday where the party begins!!!

Not disappointed tonight at all. It's all about the season. I think he players maybe deserved more from the crowd at full time as for me we won the league tonight. But there's plenty more chances for the party. Well done Jags. My favourite season in 30 years of watching the Thistle.

I think he players maybe deserved more from the crowd at full time as for me we won the league tonight.

I don't think the players think so, so it's on to Falkirk and the Grangemouth blast zone on Saturday....

If I get to go..... Been to all of our previous promotion games from the 1st: Dumbarton at Firhill on my birthday in 1976, Forfar at Firhill in 1992, St. Mirren at Love St in 2002. That last one is eleven years ago..... doesn't seem like it! Need to engage in some diplomacy soon!

I don't think the players think so, so it's on to Falkirk and the Grangemouth blast zone on Saturday....

If I get to go..... Been to all of our previous promotion games from the 1st: Dumbarton at Firhill on my birthday in 1976, Forfar at Firhill in 1992, St. Mirren at Love St in 2002. That last one is eleven years ago..... doesn't seem like it! Need to engage in some diplomacy soon!

Stick a pair of trousers on and tell her what's what!

THAT'S diplomacy!

Stick a pair of trousers on and tell her what's what!

THAT'S diplomacy!

Thanks for the advice, but that's going nowhere, it's the weans I need to engage with.........

As the turgid first 90 minutes of the Ramsdens dragged on, my boy was heard to utter "I want to go hooome........". Couldn't blame him!

There's always the lure of a few games of pre-match pool at the Q-club while waiting for the City Centre bus (if they have any space), but I'm not sure about my daughter! Inducements have to be considered....

Two questions that don't need answering as so blatantly obvious. First would be, which team started the game looking like a side that had just played three games in 6 days or if you like 4 games in 9 days? Second would be, which team played most of the second half the more knackered and on the back foot?

Tremendously proud of our lads. I thought we'd win it tonight as we'd kick off in a high tempo down to adrenaline and if we got an early goal would be in the driving seat there on in. Didn't work out that way yet we managed to regroup and end up like the only side that would get a winner. Real character in there even if it didn't work out exactly ideal. Given that I'm saying our players are near enough running on empty I shouldn't really single out anyone for praise. Even so I thought Bannigan tonight was by far the best player on the park. There's no way that lad won't be impressive in the SPL next season.

Also some credit has to go to Raith and I suppose a wee bit reluctantly to Grant Murray. They came out the traps early on and, when they failed to get anything, they could change their game and scrape a point. As for their individual players I'm still far from convinced about Graham playing in the SPL. The guy I've liked in previous games, Spence, didn't have that good a game tonight. I don't know if he's matured as a person but the Jason Thomson fella has certainly matured as a player.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Pity you guys didn't wrap things up tonight at home. Anyway, you'll be celebrating at Falkirk, as Morton have downed tools.

Wasn't aware of it until after the game last Wednesday, but Tidser had been playing with a groin strain for a few games - he was dreadful in all of them, could hardly move... and without him Morton really struggle. He didn't play on Saturday, Hardie was also out injured.. and Bachirou was taken off after 20 odd minutes with a head knock (the 7-1 on offer for a Dunfermline away win was the bet of the season!!)

Think we'll be fielding a few boys in the last few games of the season.. and they're not up to much.

Finally, as an outsider, the news of the departure of two of your best players is shocking... that should have been kept quiet until the summer. Bizarre.

Congratulations on your success. Thistle had a stronger squad than Morton... and injuries hit us hard. Hugh Murray did his bit for you this season after all! ;-)

Two questions that don't need answering as so blatantly obvious. First would be, which team started the game looking like a side that had just played three games in 6 days or if you like 4 games in 9 days? Second would be, which team played most of the second half the more knackered and on the back foot?

Tremendously proud of our lads. I thought we'd win it tonight as we'd kick off in a high tempo down to adrenaline and if we got an early goal would be in the driving seat there on in. Didn't work out that way yet we managed to regroup and end up like the only side that would get a winner. Real character in there even if it didn't work out exactly ideal. Given that I'm saying our players are near enough running on empty I shouldn't really single out anyone for praise. Even so I thought Bannigan tonight was by far the best player on the park. There's no way that lad won't be impressive in the SPL next season.

Also some credit has to go to Raith and I suppose a wee bit reluctantly to Grant Murray. They came out the traps early on and, when they failed to get anything, they could change their game and scrape a point. As for their individual players I'm still far from convinced about Graham playing in the SPL. The guy I've liked in previous games, Spence, didn't have that good a game tonight. I don't know if he's matured as a person but the Jason Thomson fella has certainly matured as a player.

Not attempting a wind-up. If Thistle were to look to Brian Graham as a striker in the SPL... then good luck to you - you'll need it! He was at Morton for a few years... his finishing was awful - he'd miss sitter after sitter. He was lazy.. and he had a bad attitude. One of my least favourite players in recent years,,, very frustrating in so many ways. He has improved, he seems a bit stronger now... but still has very limited ability.

The thought of Brian Graham in the SPL... unreal.

Pity you guys didn't wrap things up tonight at home. Anyway, you'll be celebrating at Falkirk, as Morton have downed tools.

Wasn't aware of it until after the game last Wednesday, but Tidser had been playing with a groin strain for a few games - he was dreadful in all of them, could hardly move... and without him Morton really struggle. He didn't play on Saturday, Hardie was also out injured.. and Bachirou was taken off after 20 odd minutes with a head knock (the 7-1 on offer for a Dunfermline away win was the bet of the season!!)

Think we'll be fielding a few boys in the last few games of the season.. and they're not up to much.

Finally, as an outsider, the news of the departure of two of your best players is shocking... that should have been kept quiet until the summer. Bizarre.

Congratulations on your success. Thistle had a stronger squad than Morton... and injuries hit us hard. Hugh Murray did his bit for you this season after all! ;-)

You're time will come. We've been waiting for a long time too.

I doubt many Jags would begrudge you a chance of a play off to go up, and I can't for the life of me understand why play offs aren't being implemented after what has happened this season. I think Thistle have played some tremendous football this season and totally deserve to go up. Obviously I've not seen the Morton games but I doubt you were really better in the end.

Thanks for making it such an exciting run in and helping to make this the best division in Scotland this year. Morton, like Jags, will rise again.

Thought the atmosphere was a bit flat and that was also the case on the pitch. We have been grinding out the wins recently, haven't played that well since the livi 6-1 game? Can't remember if that cane before/after cowden 3-0.

Anyway, it's all but guarenteed we're goin up, just need to get the final point and make sure. Hope it's on saturday, cos im in lanzarote for the dunfermline game!

Not much mention of Sinclair. I thought he was immense tonight. He was involved in everything down the left and beat his man a few times with some deft skills.

Was totally bemused/mystified that Fox was made MOM.Yes he had a great save first half not didn,t need to do much more.

Have to say that I am pretty gutted after yesterday. Not that we played badly, as others have said, we will play worse and win, but that this was the second time in a fortnight that I have driven up to watch us win something. I guess I should be used to such things after years of supporting The Jags.

Those going to the Falkirk game will be delighted to hear that I am working on Saturday.

For Me MotM was Bannigan, then Foxy, then Lawless. Lawless was the only forward who seemed willing to have a right go at their defence; the others were too busy tip-tapping around. We lose so many attacking opportunities due to the players' chronic tendency to check back then cut inside (or pass back), allowing the opposition defence to get behind the ball in numbers. In fact I'm wondering whether more and more teams haven't pretty much sussed that we can be shut out simply by forming two ranks across their half of the park. Recently we've failed to score against the lowly Raith and Queen of the South (after 90 min), snatched just one against Morton, sneaked 2 literally last-minute goals (one a mishit) against lowly Airdrie....

Fox: Excellent.

O'Donnell: Better game than of late.

Sinclair: Bit of a nightmare first half, but some decent runs in the second half, all of which came to nothing. The defenders seem to know how to close him down or force him into wasting his final ball.

Balatoni and Dowie: both excellent.

Bannigan: The Young General in midfield. Spraying passes around, looking for openings, taking the match right into their half. Great to watch.

Craigen: One great effort in the first half, trying to curl it over the keeper, who saved well. Plenty of effort, but wasn't making much impression last night.

Doolan: Usual high energy levels. The one that went over from 2 yards out..... how did that happen??!! Well it does happen, and we've escaped such "certain goals" more than once this season.

Forbes: Some good touches, got hooked at the right time.

Welsh: Had a good, busy game.

Erskine: One of his quiet games, not much that is memorable.

Lawless: Injected a lot of much-needed directness when he came on. Made it look like we really might score.

Elliott: Anonymous when he came on.

Craig: Total contribution: getting caught offside twice.

A word on dead balls: Twelve corners last night, and I would say that 2 of them were half-decent deliveries. The rest were absolutely horrendous. Also last night Forbes sent a scorable free-kick a mile over the bar, something that Welsh did in the Ramsdens Final too. That is quite unacceptable. Not bad if they come anywhere near the goal, but these were like rugby kicks. Homework required!

Dear oh dear, oh dear... Poor old Shug. But thanks for the post; all things considered pretty decent. Oh and I had £2.00 on Dunfermline winning 2-0 (Ladbrokes gave me 50-1... they obviously don't know how crap you are)! But I feel your pain and as Jim Morrison said: "Pain is something to carry like a radio... You should stand up for your right to feel your pain!" (Okay, that probably involved drugs; not that I'm suggesting anything!) Next year mate, there's always next year...

In terms of last night's game, we weathered a decent first 20-mins from Raith (they looked pretty decent IMO) then looked like we'd take the game. Had a few chances but nothing doing. Agree with comments relating to some of the team (younger boys) being dead on their feet. But time for recovery and then party time on Saturday!

Incidentally, the "Alan Archibald Love of My Life" song was the work of genius... New "Oh Maryhill" song also fits in well and heard it being practiced to death on the train on the way home from Airdrie. Pretty sure I've also seen a Facebook video of the erm, choir! Cheers guys, keep 'em coming!!

Edited by Meister Jag

Really pissed off with a few guys behind me last night, who at full time were yelling that thistle were a disgrace, an embarrassment then said an apology should be put on the website for our performance.

The only embarrassment last night was those guys shouting that crap.

There were a group of old guys up the back who were the most negative, dour fans I've ever had the displeasure of sitting next to. One in particular who absolutely hated Sinclair and kept lambasting him for not having a right-foot.

Won't be sitting up there again.

Really pissed off with a few guys behind me last night, who at full time were yelling that thistle were a disgrace, an embarrassment then said an apology should be put on the website for our performance.

The only embarrassment last night was those guys shouting that crap.

that's incredible, while we have gone off the boil a bit recently in terms of style, you can't fault any of these boys for effort, especially keeping a great unbeaten run going under pressure from Morton

that's incredible, while we have gone off the boil a bit recently in terms of style, you can't fault any of these boys for effort, especially keeping a great unbeaten run going under pressure from Morton

There are a small group of guys whose only pleasure in life it seems is to moan - sometimes worse than moan. I've posted this before but back in the doom-laden days after STJ when we were pootering about in the 2nd division these guys became really open and loud (most other fans were sickened in to silence by how rubbish we were). It wasn't the criticism - we all shout at a really bad error by a player - it was nasty, continual attacks on players regardless of what they were doing. It was like having the opposition fans (and the nasty proportion of it) in amongst your own fans. Personally I think they hate it when we do really well.

I was disappointed the way raith approached the game. A good spell for them at the start but after that looked more like they didn't want to lose than win. I really thought they would have came out and had a real go, they have nothing to play for and would have made for a great game but for most of the second half they were time wasting! I suppose they dont wanna be the team that got beat for another team to win the totle, It's the sad state of Scottish football if that's the attitudes teams have.