Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Ideally signing a centre back that can cover as a left back would be useful.Btw all the trialist centre backs so far, tho' played left, appear to be right sided so I doubt any of them would suffice.

I don't particularly think that matters. Like you said both McMillan & Bannigan could cover left back if Sinclair out. It's an out & out centre half we need not another 'utility'.

Fraser could be very useful but again, another midfielder to add to Murray, Welsh, Bannigan, Forbes & Craigen.

The 2 areas for me that we are needing somekne in is a 'replacement' for Erskine (though that's easier said than done) & the centre half.

Not sure many would disagree.

Edited by Trotter

^ We still have Archie registered as a player too. Could he play at left-back in an emergency?

A bit of a non question considering I doubt we'll ever see Archie play again, but he'd get slaughtered playing as a full back. Think he'd struggle even at centre half, but he's not mobile enough to play full back these days.

I don't particularly think that matters. Like you said both McMillan & Bannigan could cover left back if Sinclair out. It's an out & out centre half we need not another 'utility'.

Fraser could be very useful but again, another midfielder to add to Murray, Welsh, Bannigan, Forbes & Craigen.

The 2 areas for me that we are needing somekne in is a 'replacement' for Erskine (though that's easier said than done) & the centre half.

Not sure many would disagree.

Not many will disagree. Mukendi is a left-sided forward and Bannigan could play there too. We also have Kerr in midfield.

Ok so we have now got fraser to go with Kerr, Gallagher , Mukendi, Baird.....5 decent signings and we have for more time left to add more so chill!

I'm not one who is stressed out re our signings so far but some will disagree. Here's a bit of Devil's Advocate patter.

To date Kerr has lost possession alarmingly too often in defensive positions. Fraser couldn't get a game for a mid table Div 1 side just months ago. Mukendi's performance on Saturday was to be kind rather eccentric and Baird has shown next to nothing in the friendlies so far Two of these "decent signings" are loanees from much bigger clubs and we all know how disappointing some of our previous loans from big clubs can turn out to be. Neither of the two full signings, signed for their experience, can demonstrate much success in the SPL in recent seasons

To repeat I'm not myself too concerned about the quality of our signings to date but I can fully understand why a lot of posters on here can feel a bit troubled. Telling folk to chill as they're decent signings is all very well but I think you'd be hard pressed to qualify that convincingly.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The simple truth is that all of us expected to sign at least one player that we would consider definitely better than what we had. No-one fits that bill so far for me; I'd rather have the best 11 from last year to be honest. However, I will happily concede that the 11 we had last year is a good first 11. Youth and hunger is one their side...

Ok so we have now got fraser to go with Kerr, Gallagher , Mukendi, Baird.....5 decent signings and we have for more time left to add more so chill!

I'm not one who is stressed out re our signings so far but some will disagree. Here's a bit of Devil's Advocate patter.

To date Kerr has lost possession alarmingly too often in defensive positions. Fraser couldn't get a game for a mid table Div 1 side just months ago. Mukendi's performance on Saturday was to be kind rather eccentric and Baird has shown next to nothing in the friendlies so far Two of these "decent signings" are loanees from much bigger clubs and we all know how disappointing some of our previous loans from big clubs can turn out to be. Neither of the two full signings, signed for their experience, can demonstrate much success in the SPL in recent seasons

To repeat I'm not myself too concerned about the quality of our signings to date but I can fully understand why a lot of posters on here can feel a bit troubled. Telling folk to chill as they're decent signings is all very well but I think you'd be hard pressed to qualify that convincingly.

& just to add to the Lady's post...

Do you think the management team know who they want in the 2 key positions that most folk have identified?

& if so, why so many trialists being played?

I think they, like us, know. It's getting the players in & with around 10 days to start of season not to have them in place is disappointing.

The simple truth is that all of us expected to sign at least one player that we would consider definitely better than what we had. No-one fits that bill so far for me; I'd rather have the best 11 from last year to be honest. However, I will happily concede that the 11 we had last year is a good first 11. Youth and hunger is one their side...

I'd probably agree with this. For me the most exciting developments of the close season have been the re-signing and contract extensions of last year's team. I'd have taken that over inspiring new signings, though I'm still hoping to see that too. And I'll reserve judgement on the new guys, having not seen any friendlies.

.............................Fox..........................

O'Donnel.. Muirhead..balatoni. Bannigan

......................Kerr.........Welsh..................

.....Mukendi..........Forbes............Lawless

..............................Baird.........................

If Mukendi isn't up to it then I'd switch Bannigan to midfield and play a new LB that we've yet to sign.

not a fan of Sinclair?

Or Doolan?

Or Doolan?

I think Baird offers more than Doolan, I like how he is willing to come and find the ball short. Doolan has a tendency to make runs into space and it will be hard to find those balls against better defences in the SPL. It wouldn't surprise me if there are games where Doolan sees next to none of the ball. I still like Doolan but I wouldn't be confident with him as our number 1 lone striker. For that matter, I'm also not confident with Baird as our number 1. Both I think are good enough for some starts, and coming off the bench in most games but not number ones.

As for Sinclair, he is suspect defensively and his final ball is still dreadful. No point beating a man if you then can't pass or cross it. If he could cross then I would say his attacking threat would make up for any defensive short comings but unfortunately he can't. May seem harsh but I think we will find out within the first 4 or 5 games who can make the step up and who can't - Sinclair is the one I'm most worried about.

Who do you think we should be signing ?

i think our most important 'signing' would be steve lawless if we can persuade him to sign a contract extension. chris erskine is irreplaceable but to these eyes lawless is the next best thing and i would not like to see him photographed signing a pre-contract agreement in the tannadice boardroom come january...

I think Baird offers more than Doolan, I like how he is willing to come and find the ball short. Doolan has a tendency to make runs into space and it will be hard to find those balls against better defences in the SPL. It wouldn't surprise me if there are games where Doolan sees next to none of the ball. I still like Doolan but I wouldn't be confident with him as our number 1 lone striker. For that matter, I'm also not confident with Baird as our number 1. Both I think are good enough for some starts, and coming off the bench in most games but not number ones.

As for Sinclair, he is suspect defensively and his final ball is still dreadful. No point beating a man if you then can't pass or cross it. If he could cross then I would say his attacking threat would make up for any defensive short comings but unfortunately he can't. May seem harsh but I think we will find out within the first 4 or 5 games who can make the step up and who can't - Sinclair is the one I'm most worried about.

:doh:

I think Forbes will be a much improved player this season. A first name pick.

Forbes was a much improved player last season it seems to me. Not in terms of ability which he obviously had but in willingness to work harder, chase back and getting much fitter and more consistent. Of course his weakness is he is slow but we're never going to have world beaters playing for us.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I dont think we`ll see much of Craigen this year now that Fraser has signed.Gary , in my opinion , is a far better option.

We don't know how the season will pan out with injuries/suspensions. IMHO Craigen will get reasonable game time. He has good potential and can play a number of positions, not just the position Fraser plays. At the very least a regular on the bench cominig on when his energy and physical presence can make a difference.

It seems that no matter what player is mentioned someone will think he's rubbish and someone else will think they're good.

I think that Fraser is a different type of player to Craigen.

Craigen had a very good end to last season. He deserves a chance.

It seems that no matter what player is mentioned someone will think he's rubbish and someone else will think they're good.

I think that Fraser is a different type of player to Craigen.

Craigen had a very good end to last season. He deserves a chance.

Exactly, i think it would be foolish of folk to discount Carey. whilst some st mirren fans weren't fussed to see him go, it should be remembered that his last 6 months at the club were never going to be great after he put in a transfer request at christmas. what would be a better thing to remember is that when they brought him back after his first loan spell, they were pretty much over the moon.

He can play left back, left mid, centre mid, left wing and behind the striker. has a peach of a free kick, great long throw and a great cross from out wide. i'd say thats exactly the sort of player we should be looking at!