Thistle Weir Youth Academy

Derby Jag

We could have got a pretty decent striker for £750,000. Would have been more beneficial to PTFC

If this works out we'll get as many strikers - some excellent, some decent, some mediocre and some McConalogues - as we want. £750,000 for some one season mercenary or worse still Novo? You are joking, right?

We could have got a pretty decent striker for £750,000. Would have been more beneficial to PTFC

Short term yes but you still have his wages to pay but longterm the Academy investment puts Thistle in a great position to develop talented players for the future for Thistle.

I only seen the last 15 mins or so of last nights game as the boys were training but only one team in it and it was more down to the excellent goalkeeping rather than the poor finishing with what i saw.

It's not as if they are in a bad position just now and i have no doubt goals will come and so will the positive results.

Boys have been patiently waiting on the new training kit for a while now but got the new Joma gear last night all badged up with the Thistle Weir logo on it.

Looks very smart . :)

Edited by billko
  • Like 1

A big thank you to Chris and Colin wier and there family for this wonderful contribution. And the news Gerry Britton has Quit his full time position as a lawyer to run the Thistle Weir Youth Academy is great news. And this may be another thread but unlucky last night.....played great, couldn't beat a keeper on form

Britton's giving up his job as a lawyer to do it, and it's 250k for each of the next three years. All came about through Beattie and the Weirs becoming pals rather than going and begging them for cash.

We will have to be in a strong and stable position three years from now to maintain that level of annual investment in youth development. Given the turnover and finances that we have been used to, it is a very large sum. To put it in perspective though, Hibs wasted £200K on that forward Collins and Super Ally pulls £250K in for less than 4 months "work".....

Of course, it is fantastic news too!

Edited by David Stevenson

We will have to be in a strong and stable position three years from now to maintain that level of annual investment in youth development.

I'd imagine if the Weirs are happy with how it's going after three years, they may continue to make the same investment. Not as if they can't afford it.

One other benefit of this scheme I'd imagine is that it says in the press release that it will the offer 1000 boys and girls the chance to play football purely for enjoyment and fitness.

Surely a decent percentage of those will go on to attend our games. A lot of future fans, and potential revenue, added into the mix.

Edited by The Arch
  • Like 4

I'd imagine if the Weirs are happy with how it's going after three years, they may continue to make the same investment. Not as if they can't afford it.

One other benefit of this scheme I'd imagine is that it says in the press release that it will the offer 1000 boys and girls the chance to play football purely for enjoyment and fitness.

Surely a decent percentage of those will go on to attend our games. A lot of future fans, and potential revenue, added into the mix.

One thousand kids having the opportunity to play football for enjoyment and fitness. Brilliant. And, as you say The Arch, another great way to build a future fan base.

Well done the Weir's. A well thought out project. I hope they have cause to be immensely proud of this.

I really hope this is a long term project with money as part of a legacy foundation.

I'm also wondering about the long-term funding of the project. The Weirs' input is for a 3-year period. And then what......?

Maybe if we're an established, strong top-flight team by then the club will be able to afford it, with sponsorship and support from elsewhere.

I'm also wondering about the long-term funding of the project. The Weirs' input is for a 3-year period. And then what......?

Maybe if we're an established, strong top-flight team by then the club will be able to afford it, with sponsorship and support from elsewhere.

Think as it's run seperate to the club it will atract it's own sponsorships, fund raising, grants etc that may be due to it.

It might be a longterm commitment from the Weirs or after the 3 yrs it runs itself through other funding but the main thing in this is Thistle now have an Academy set up to match anyones and will hopefully pay off big time for Thistle in the future by producing players of a high standard.

The other important thing is it brings kids to the club of different levels of ability who will all feel part of the set up and this is your future supporters.

Thistle going into the local community can only be a good thing for the club in the longterm also.

Since my boy went into the youth set up the club has been on the up and the changes have been very noticeable from training facilities, coaching etc and has all kicked on from the first team doing so well last season.

This feel good factor has went right through the club and everything has been positive regarding the youth set up and how important it is to have a good Academy.

The news of the huge investment is massive though and confirms the club are very much up for development of it's own players and will be able to compete with any teams now in attracting talent to the club.

If they can keep it all going after the 3yrs it will no doubt pay off for Thistle and the club will benefit from it for years to come.

• Like 1

Does anybody else think we should try and get them to invest some more money to go to Archie for the first team?

Not being greedy.Ijust thought with us now having a relationship with them,it would be worth sounding it out.

What they decide to do with their money is their business. The fact that they've decided to give £750k to us for this project is absolutely brilliant and they deserve our thanks. Oliver Twist "Can we have some more please?" guff would be ungrateful. Of course I'd be delighted if they decided to a] eat into the debt or b] give Archie cash in January, but it's not really for Thistle to ask, more for them to come forward and do it if they want to.

• Like 1