Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

you need players like bobby law, kevin mckee in this position, who will totally hurt themselves for the cause. i like players who hurl themselves at the ball then get back on their feet n kiss the badge. we need scrappers. we dont need ball players like higganbhotham. we need a team of players wae the airdrie 90s mentality.limited ability, but fine wae it, know theyre not the best players in the world but know how to play to their strengths. know their limitations n bend teams to their will. its not good football if your not gettin results. kick it long. snap. long. snap. result. done. beautiful football in my eyes is a positive result. whats beautiful about passin it about then gettin beat. someone tell me. it's all about basics. we deal wae the basics. fine. then we can think about kickin the ball about

Edited by The Mighty Quinn

you need players like bobby law, kevin mckee in this position, who will totally hurt themselves for the cause. i like players who hurl themselves at the ball then get back on their feet n kiss the badge. we need scrappers. we dont need ball players like higganbhotham. we need a team of players wae the airdrie 90s mentality.limited ability, but fine wae it, know theyre not the best players in the world but know how to play to their strengths. know their limitations n bend teams to their will. its not good football if your not gettin results. kick it long. snap. long. snap. result. done. beautiful football in my eyes is a positive result. whats beautiful about passin it about then gettin beat. someone tell me. it's all about basics. we deal wae the basics. fine. then we can think about kickin the ball about

Naw we don't.

Unfreakinreal!

(Corrected because of autocorrect)

Edited by ClydebankJag

^^^Future youth academy coach :happy2:

Nice to have you on board, Mr Mourinho.

but did they not receive some big investment in the summer from a consortium from Texas?

It was rather convoluted and tbh I lost interest in all the goings on up there. What appeared to be happening was this Texas consortium expressed an interest and the guy Colvin (a major shareholder) went along with them. A lot of the fans weren't happy with this as there was next to no due diligence and also they didn't want to see their dream of a fan owned club evaporate (i think fans groups owned about 25% of shares).

The Americans did get their way helped by the promise of some grass root youth development plan. Can't see why they were worried about this "investment". It's not as if they've any previous history of being let down. Messrs Cook, Dixon, Marrs (x2), di Stefano and Melville all helped Dundee FC become the club it is today. Can only hope this Texan lot continue the good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, today's also pretty much underlined the significant losing mentality that's been rife for several months - this certainly isn't the first comfortable winning position we've bottled. Archibald has done nothing to address our woeful form, and is certainly not picking from the best players available which is worrying. There's been a glaring problem at managerial level for months, but I think we've left it far too late now for a change to have any real effect. We have to cross our fingers, hope for a miracle that we stay up, then punt him in the summer.

Thought long and hard about whether to respond to this thread. Okay, I get we're all disappointed we're not in the top six and that the manager couldn't bring on Messi or someone to replace Higginbotham, but for God's sake, get a grip! Anyone who thinks that bringing in another manager would get this group of players further up the league doesn't know much about football. It turns my stomach that there's folk on here who have a go at Archibald on the basis of the results this season. Thank God none of you lot will ever get anywhere near the management of a Thistle team!

• Like 1

Thought long and hard about whether to respond to this thread. Okay, I get we're all disappointed we're not in the top six and that the manager couldn't bring on Messi or someone to replace Higginbotham, but for God's sake, get a grip! Anyone who thinks that bringing in another manager would get this group of players further up the league doesn't know much about football. It turns my stomach that there's folk on here who have a go at Archibald on the basis of the results this season. Thank God none of you lot will ever get anywhere near the management of a Thistle team!

Utter nonsense. Archie is the worst manager in the league by some distance. We'd be much higher in the league if it wasn't for him.

Hearts have picked up only 1 point less than us with an U20s team ffs.

Even if archie keeps us up through the play-offs. I'd can him for someone with experience. Hes not learning at all, 18 points dropped from winning positions I heard them say on radio clyde. Someone with a track record at this level or down south.

The number of late, late goals that we've lost has been truly astonishing, and must say something about something.

9-9-9 cant afford to go down to 9 men..........CRAIGEN & ELLIOTT as soon as their on the park its an invitation to the other team its bad enough Archie takes off all our dangermen to make way for the diddy pair

You don't appear to be taking this at all well. I suppose we all could do with a class dunce to take our mind off a sore defeat for a wee while.

• Like 1

Even if archie keeps us up through the play-offs. I'd can him for someone with experience. Hes not learning at all, 18 points dropped from winning positions I heard them say on radio clyde. Someone with a track record at this level or down south.

Someone with a track record up here or down south will have one because they will have been with a club that can afford to provide the manager with funds to sign players who are good enough to compete in the SPL. If we go down that route, we don't have the budget to sign good enough players, and get left with the dross nobody else wants, hence why we have been out of the top flight for so long. What we can do however, is have a manager in place who knows the young players at the club. Knows what they can and cannot do, and trusts them enough to stick by them when times get hard. (as they were at times last season, and are now) The only way we can improve as a club, and become top flight regulars is, IMO, to keep with what we have and trust that both Archie and the players learn from this season, and are better for it next season. Getting rid to bring in experience may, or may not, help us stay up this season but what would it do in the long run? Back to square one as soon as we get relegated. Lets not forget, most of the players are also on just as steep a learning curve as Archie, so why assume its him that's not learning and not the players.

• Like 1

From memory so apologies if missed any out.

1-0 up against Hearts with 5mins to go- draw.

1-0 vs Hibs in injury time- draw.

1-0 vs Killie with 5mins to go- draw.

3-2 vs Ross Co with 5mins to go- draw.

3-2 vs Motherwell with 5mins to go- lose.

Very worrying pattern which isn't solving itself.

Now, I'm not saying sack Archie as know the BoD won't but...

Same mistakes with substitutions being made & unwilling, with exception of DU game, to change shape/system.

Play offs beckon. There's no getting away from it.

The run of fixtures we have up to the split I can't see us getting more than 3-5 points.

For crying out loud, Hearts effectively are only 1 point behind us- ignoring points deduction- with a bunch of kids.

Whether we go down or survive something has to change in the coaching set up.

• Like 1

From memory so apologies if missed any out.

1-0 up against Hearts with 5mins to go- draw.

1-0 vs Hibs in injury time- draw.

1-0 vs Killie with 5mins to go- draw.

3-2 vs Ross Co with 5mins to go- draw.

3-2 vs Motherwell with 5mins to go- lose.

Very worrying pattern which isn't solving itself.

Now, I'm not saying sack Archie as know the BoD won't but...

Same mistakes with substitutions being made & unwilling, with exception of DU game, to change shape/system.

Play offs beckon. There's no getting away from it.

The run of fixtures we have up to the split I can't see us getting more than 3-5 points.

For crying out loud, Hearts effectively are only 1 point behind us- ignoring points deduction- with a bunch of kids.

Whether we go down or survive something has to change in the coaching set up.

If we'd avoided those late goals, the 11 points would see us currently in the top six. What a real shame.

I don't think that sacking the manager is a terribly likely option and I have serious doubts as to whether it would actually do any good at this stage in the season. Whilst I'm not for sacking Archie, I think he's got to have a long hard look at himself, taking off your best two players is fine and dandy if its going to solidify the side. However, today we just fell appart giving away two truly awful goals, which would cause a schoolboy side to be embaressed. I actually thought the goalkeeper may have been a bit at fault, seems like Fox, Gallagher's a bit of a vampire! I'll not bother asking why the famouslly mobile Stephen McManus was totally unmaarked for Motherwell's winner. Or even wonder why when our management team consists of two defenders, why our side is so abject defensively. Its almost if they go to sleep at regular inervals, almost like a collective bout of nacrolepsy. Felt really sorry for Erskine and particular Higginbotham, both of whom payed well today and in the latters case quite superbly in the second half, his goal is a definite goal of the season contender IMHO.

Got to say, that was as hard a result to take as any in my nearly forty years of following Thistle. Don't think I've ever seen a bunch of grown men so close to tears as the Thistle support leaving Fir Park were today. I'd like to finish on a positive note but quite frankly I can't.