Rearranged St Johnstone Game

GrantB

First time I've chimed in on this, but having read the St.Johnstone forum, I feel I need to.

Yes, Thistle are under no legal obligation to provide discounted admission once a game has reached half-time. However, I am disgusted by the greed and money grabbing that the club is showing, as it's something I've been against for years in Scottish football. For fans travelling from Perth for the second time in a month and then still being expected to fork out £12 at the gate with their stub is scandalous.

The club has made its money from the abandoned fixture, and should be charging a modest £10/£5 in my opinion, like other SPL clubs who have been in our situation. See, this is my problem when a club gets promoted to the Premier League: whether it's appeasing the Old Firm or fleecing fans for money, clubs will scrape the barrel to fill their coffers, whilst insisting they have the fans at heart.

And this isn't just this game exclusively. It is the entire culture of Scottish football in general: the traditional working class game, that the working class can least afford with its scandalous pricing to see second rate football.

Rant over.

• Like 2

Wouldn't take much for us to pay the other 50% of travel costs. I'd happily chip in a tenner if someone can set up a page to do this ....

If we could do something like this, the goodwill created between the fans would be immense.

I'd be up for contributing too.

I've been reading this thread for the past few days and it's laughable, we should get a few of the fans on here to run the PR!, the £5/£10 and free kids for St Johnstone would have been a master stroke and then packaging up the Thistle game with others would have been excellent for the non S/T Thistle fans too - a bit of credit to the club for that retrospective move after the bad PR!

Time for a massive U turn and offer something decent for this game, no way I'd travel if the situation was reversed, even with £3 off my bus!

The club mucked up and are now scraping round to try and compensate but the damage is done and their compensation isn't good enough. If I was a St Jonatone fan there's no way I'd be at this game.

The only thing they could of done to make amends, would be a full reversal and re-advertise prices, but too late for this.

I feel the club would of got less flack, and rightly so, if they had just stuck with the principal pricing rather than offering some lame excuse and poor offer.

Makes you think, when it comes to PR, why is there zero fan consultation? I'm sure maybe if even one, or possibly two, fans were elected as a kind of consultant for these things. Just to gauge a reaction. These things would be brought up. But I guess this would be giving the customer what they want ...

One idea that hasn't been suggested is that fans pay what they like for this game?

If you want to pay £1, pay £1. If you want to pay £12, pay £12. If you want to pay £20, pay £20.

I bet the club would get great PR from this and I'd imagine would still more than cover the costs - could even boost the numbers for what is likely to be a very poorly attended match. Not too late to do this surely?

Is this the kind of thing you meant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25651834

What happens if a St Johnstone fan rocks up with his " complimentary " ticket on the night claiming to have never seen that a £12 entry was being charged and not carrying enough money. If the club don't grant access they are leaving themselves open to a fine under sale of goods act

Is this the kind of thing you meant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25651834

Pretty much, but it seems the marketing gurus in Coatbridge have beaten us to it.

No idea how we're expected to compete with such a forward thinking behemoth of the Scottish game.

Seriously though, fair play to Rovers - I heard this on Radio Scotland a few times today. Funnily enough, no mention of Thistle...

Pretty much, but it seems the marketing gurus in Coatbridge have beaten us to it.

No idea how we're expected to compete with such a forward thinking behemoth of the Scottish game.

Seriously though, fair play to Rovers - I heard this on Radio Scotland a few times today. Funnily enough, no mention of Thistle...

I have a wee soft spot for the Rovers. I think it's the brightly coloured front of their ground I like . .that's if it's still emblazoned in resplendent red and yellow.

Off on a tangent and this has nothing to do with this specific nonsense.

In future no club should be asked to play a league game at a loss when it's caused thru an abandonment. Or more accurately losses on all such games should be covered by the SPFL with the proviso that the club in question aren't negligible. The financial onus on seeing a game played to a conclusion is considerable and puts ridiculous pressure on the referee. Also having to play the rearranged game at a time when it's difficult enough to even turn a profit on a scheduled fixture causes further pain. Again I'm not referring to this fiasco.

Far too sensible.

The abandoned St Johnstone game was only the 21st abandoned match in over 6,100 first team games (0.3%). 10 were at home, 11 away.

Failing light/Fog 8

n/k 3

Waterlogged 4

Storm 1

Snow 3

Floodlight failure 2

There have only been 8 abandoned matches in the last 100 years - 4 at home, 4 away.

Easily the best post of the entire thread.

Makes you think, when it comes to PR, why is there zero fan consultation? I'm sure maybe if even one, or possibly two, fans were elected as a kind of consultant for these things. Just to gauge a reaction. These things would be brought up. But I guess this would be giving the customer what they want ...

Jeez, just take a look at weird and wonderful range of "best thing to do" opinions of self-appointed PR experts on this thread, and fans as consultants would probably lead to an even bigger nightmare.

The likelihood is that if Thistle tried the Rovers scheme with a minimum donation of one quid, then very large numbers of the "Thistle faithful" or "Thistle's Twelfth Man" would gleefully stump up the total sum of....... one quid.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Out of interest I went back on the forum to find the similar thread to this from the Cowdenbeath game as I thought there was sure to be similar outrage at Cowdenbeath for reducing prices from £15 to £12 for the re-arranged game and in a joint initiative with Thistle paying for the supporters buses to make the re-arranged game.

http://www.wearethis...-cowden-replay/

1 reply is all it got. :lol: Granted it went on until around 10mins or so into the 2nd half but there's an argument we actually got to see far more of the St Johnstone game since the pitch was actually visible.

I wonder if Cowdenbeath got a slagging on Off The Ball, the ultimate insult to any club in Scotland.

The club mucked up and are now scraping round to try and compensate but the damage is done and their compensation isn't good enough. If I was a St Jonatone fan there's no way I'd be at this game.

The only thing they could of done to make amends, would be a full reversal and re-advertise prices, but too late for this.

I feel the club would of got less flack, and rightly so, if they had just stuck with the principal pricing rather than offering some lame excuse and poor offer.

The truth is that at Firhill there is virtually no fan consultation on any issue, let alone the farrago that this re-arranged fixture has become. Unfortunately, it is only the latest in a long list of decisions by the club, that are decidedly strange to say the least'

What's more annoying is that most of them could have been nipped in the bud by the application of common sense and the simple expedient of in some way consulting our support. Neither in my opinion would require the acquisition of divinity-like omnipotence by those representing the club.

In truth, I am sad to say that all these incidents reveal is how out of touch the official club is with the world of the vast majority of supporters.

• Like 1

The new deal is "awright" for Thistle fans (still pish for Saints). Think before making announcements next time.

Oh and every football fan commuting to work this morning who picked up a Metro will have thought "that's pretty decent" when reading the paragraph bigging up the Albion Rovers £1 deal. Where as Thistle fans think their own club are taking the piss and St Johnstone fans now have the perfect excuse not to bother with Firhill the next time, or the time after that, or the time...

Albion Rovers aren't expecting to meet their costs for this game,though. They are hoping that it will encourage supporters to go more often. Other difference is that the a Rovers game is on a Sat, the STJ game is a Tuesday

Very good point.

With a full stadium every home game and a season ticket waiting list as long as Garscube Road there is asbolutely no reason for us to encourage supporters to go more often, credit to the club for putting them off.

The abandoned St Johnstone game was only the 21st abandoned match in over 6,100 first team games (0.3%). 10 were at home, 11 away.

Failing light/Fog 8

n/k 3

Waterlogged 4

Storm 1

Snow 3

Floodlight failure 2

There have only been 8 abandoned matches in the last 100 years - 4 at home, 4 away.

Can I ask where you were able to source the data for those most excellent statistics?

I can recall the following 5 involving us:

- 1983 Clyde away in SC replay when match was abandoned at 2-2 in extra time when a power cut took out most of area around Shawfield and with it the flood lights. No power meant no tannoy either. The rescheduled game went very, very well.

- Mid-90s Aberdeen at home in league which as others have said was abandoned due to heavy snow after about 65 mins at 0-2. The ref at time said he would have abandoned it sooner had Aberdeen not scored just before half time. Pretty sure it was full price for the rescheduled game. The score was very, very bad.

- Mid-90s Hearts at home in league due to failure of our floodlights which were fairly new at the time. I have a very strong memory of vouchers being handed out. However, no recollection of price charged or score in either game (without looking). Think they may have been draws.

- 2013 Cowdenbeath away in league due to fog at 1-2 after 70 odd mins. The only one of this 5 there could be any dispute around the abandonment in the sense it wasn't much worse at end than it was at start. That said, it never should have started. Don't recall vouchers or reduced prices but they were cheaper to start with. Plus the score worked out.

- 2014 St Johnstone at home in league, due to rain. Abandoned at half time with score at 0-0. Still not sure why it even started.

Can I ask where you were able to source the data for those most excellent statistics?

- 1983 Clyde away in SC replay when match was abandoned at 2-2 in extra time when a power cut took out most of area around Shawfield and with it the flood lights. No power meant no tannoy either. The rescheduled game went very, very well.

- Mid-90s Aberdeen at home in league which as others have said was abandoned due to heavy snow after about 65 mins at 0-2. The ref at time said he would have abandoned it sooner had Aberdeen not scored just before half time. Pretty sure it was full price for the rescheduled game. The score was very, very bad.

- Mid-90s Hearts at home in league due to failure of our floodlights which were fairly new at the time. I have a very strong memory of vouchers being handed out. However, no recollection of price charged or score in either game (without looking). Think they may have been draws.

- 2013 Cowdenbeath away in league due to fog at 1-2 after 70 odd mins. The only one of this 5 there could be any dispute around the abandonment in the sense it wasn't much worse at end than it was at start. That said, it never should have started. Don't recall vouchers or reduced prices but they were cheaper to start with. Plus the score worked out.

- 2014 St Johnstone at home in league, due to rain. Abandoned at half time with score at 0-0. Still not sure why it even started.

I seem to recall another Aberdeen game being abandoned at Firhill but I'm getting old and my memory is not what it once was.

They are part of research I'm doing as a pastime.

I seem to recall another Aberdeen game being abandoned at Firhill but I'm getting old and my memory is not what it once was.

Could that be a game I recall? Not long after the JH opened I definitely remember a midweek game being abandoned due to a power problem, even though it was still day light at the time of the game being called off. I remember clearly having to exit onto the track & out of the big gate to the left of the JH stand, but can't remember the opponents. It must have been early or more likely late in the season