Archie Gets It At Last

watties wallies

Elliot, to paraphrase Gerry Collins "put in a shift today." I agree his first touch could be better but his role today was to nullify Robertson. OK, did not manage it for their goal but throughout the match he did his job.Would rather have Christie than guys like Forbes who may have more talent they lack the effort and commitment

• Like 1

9 men. remember Craigen came on with eight minutes left

No doubt you were front and centre of the support making up for the weak among us that aren't good enough to be there in the stands supporting the team.

Must be great being a colleague of yours although I probably wouldn't want to be a part of the team you think isn't good enough.

Thank god the Jags are so good we can take on the opposition with only 9 men and still get a result.

Shouldn't really worry I should just feel sorry for you and the rest of the soulless ar****les that seem to take no joy from a team that puts in a power of effort even although it isn't quite working at times. Great to be you that everything you do works out perfectly.

• Like 1

He is an on championship player nothing more and when Welsh is fit will struggle to get on the bench

If we stay up he probably won't be here next season

Oh and you can't play good pass and move football with players with no technique

He was a championship player we won that division so he deserved his chance to make the step up. If I recall we played plenty of pass and move football last season and the early part of this season, then the results weren't good enough and wuck fits like you started calling for something different in order to win and as a result we have moved towards percentage football which isn't as pleasing on the eye and oh by the way not neting any more points either.

Thanks for that, great call.

• Like 2

Elliott definitely the new scapegoat for some folk and unfair harsh criticism of him today. Yeah, his touch isn't great, but he always gives a good effort and chased balls today that Forbes or Baird (or Kerr) would not have chased after. Won some good balls in the air but not his fault that no-one was there to pick them up. Some people on this need to have a long look at themselves before criticising honest players who put in a shift. If it wasn't DUFC we were playing today, I fully expect that Erskine would have started and not Elliott, but let's be honest - the lad put in a good shift and didn't let us down.

P.S. - forgot that Craigen is another scapegoat for some. Yeah - his 9 minutes were honking - he didn't score or anything- useless.

• Like 1

Elliott definitely the new scapegoat for some folk and unfair harsh criticism of him today. Yeah, his touch isn't great, but he always gives a good effort and chased balls today that Forbes or Baird (or Kerr) would not have chased after. Won some good balls in the air but not his fault that no-one was there to pick them up. Some people on this need to have a long look at themselves before criticising honest players who put in a shift. If it wasn't DUFC we were playing today, I fully expect that Erskine would have started and not Elliott, but let's be honest - the lad put in a good shift and didn't let us down.

P.S. - forgot that Craigen is another scapegoat for some. Yeah - his 9 minutes were honking - he didn't score or anything- useless.

Couldnt agree more Elliot put in a right good shift for us

Likewise...

Taylor - Doolan

Erskine

Bannigan - Buaben - Fraser

Would love to see that at Fir Park.

I like that. I think a switch to 4-3-1-2 could work quite well. Saying that, I thought it whilst reading Robbie Savage writing about Man Utd. I can't stand him and usually never agree with him, and on top of that I don't think I can compare us to Man Utd.

This midfield four will, in my opinion, help push things through the centre whilst the three more defensive midfielders will support our attacking full backs more by providing more cover. Other teams have been allowing us to dominate the wings and just made sure they can control the centre, we need to find a way of getting the ball through the middle IMO as our crossing is generally pish.

• Like 1

Perhaps it's not entirely realistic to believe that we should be putting out a team entirely made up of classy footballers. There's a niggling thought at the back of my mind that if we did in this league, then they would be steamrollered every week by tough athletes more used to playing in the kind of conditions that the city end of the pitch showed towards the end. Sometimes muscular triers like Elliott are needed, especially in Scottish winter weather conditions.

As it is, we have the occasional unexpected gem, such as Conrad prancing through the DU team to create an opportunity (where did that come from?) and the odd let-down, such as Taylor not scoring from a clear opportunity. Getting a point against DU isn't a bad result, although their goalmouth threat seems to have withered.

It would help our style of play if Gallacher could be persuaded to throw out the ball more often, and to aim his punts upfield at the team he's playing for, instead of trying energetically for distance. He's a good shot-stopper, but those, and his seeming inability to catch the ball cleanly in the box, are weaknesses. At times it seemed that the whole team had to get into the box to block shots- leaving Taylor isolated again.

If, for whatever reason, we're not going to play Doolan and Taylor together, would it not make sense to give them starts alternately? Taylor seemed tired before the end of the first half; if Doolan had started energetically, bringing Taylor on later would have made more sense.

I think by releasing Baird, Archie has made it pretty clear that he has no intention of switching to playing two strikers.

I think that's right but too often yesterday Taylor was very isolated and the gap between him and the midfield was too great , not helped in the first half with too many high balls lumped up the park.

We need at least to find someone to play just behind Taylor who can also help in midfield

I think that's right but too often yesterday Taylor was very isolated and the gap between him and the midfield was too great , not helped in the first half with too many high balls lumped up the park.

We need at least to find someone to play just behind Taylor who can also help in midfield

Chris Erskine?

I just love the way a thread about playing Doolan and Taylor together can be hijacked into a go at your favourite scapegoat.

Those who are constantly on a downer re Archie, Elliott, Craigen or whoever should realise that just recycling the same spiel in thread after thread doesn't make whatever you're trying to get across any more valid. In fact I find these posts from those who struggle to post anything positive without a dig into their default agenda just a tiresome diversion.

As to Doolan and Taylor playing together I feel this will happen increasingly. Doolan is too good a player to leave on the bench for any length of time. I don't believe you should call this playing a 4-4-2 simply as Doolan will always get pulled sideways and into midfield. You'd have to fine the lad or threaten him with violence for dropping off otherwise he's always going to chase balls other strikers would leave. That's just Doolan's style and something we should utilise rather than drum out of him. I sense it's going to be difficult to get Erskine, Higgy, Taylor and Doolan all on the field at the same time but that shouldn't necessarily preclude Taylor & Doolan playing together for a good chunk of a game at least.

• Like 5

I just love the way a thread about playing Doolan and Taylor together can be hijacked into a go at your favourite scapegoat.

Those who are constantly on a downer re Archie, Elliott, Craigen or whoever should realise that just recycling the same spiel in thread after thread doesn't make whatever you're trying to get across any more valid. In fact I find these posts from those who struggle to post anything positive without a dig into their default agenda just a tiresome diversion.

As to Doolan and Taylor playing together I feel this will happen increasingly. Doolan is too good a player to leave on the bench for any length of time. I don't believe you should call this playing a 4-4-2 simply as Doolan will always get pulled sideways and into midfield. You'd have to fine the lad or threaten him with violence for dropping off otherwise he's always going to chase balls other strikers would leave. That's just Doolan's style and something we should utilise rather than drum out of him. I sense it's going to be difficult to get Erskine, Higgy, Taylor and Doolan all on the field at the same time but that shouldn't necessarily preclude Taylor & Doolan playing together for a good chunk of a game at least.

excellent post and points. surely too wise for a woman? i'm beginning to think the junnysaw lag might possibly be right in their observation in latest sitb.

Edited by yoda-jag

I think we're seeing a repeat of the problem we had when Doolan played alone up front with no support. This was partly due to Lawless's loss of form and Higginbotham's tendency (good player though he is) to play for himself too much. Last year Lawless and Erskine gave Doolan lots of support and chipped in with a good number of goals. Obviously Archie must think bringing in Erskine back can be part of the solution to that problem.

A clear problem in the first half yesterday was Bannigan was playing forward midfield (between the two wingers) but while he worked hard as always I don't think he got into positions to support Taylor. Neither did the other two although Elliot as was pointed out was there partly for defensive reasons. I don't think that position suits Bannigan; if he plays further forward it should be wide left. Despite this we still created a few chances but something was lacking.

In the second half Bannigan was back in holding midfield position where he was very effective and Prince Buaben was pushed forward. From then on we seemed more dangerous. Doolan of course looked lively when he came on but we were already looking dangerous before he came on. I'm not sure if Doolan with Taylor from the start is our best option now, though I'd thought it worth considering before.

We now have the options of playing Bauben - who'll be fitter and more familiar with the team when we next play and Erskine who we all know can play that position. In fact can we play both Erskine and Bauben? Probably but only by pushing Erskine out on the wing so who gets pushed out?

I guess it's what's usually called a 'good problem' in that we've now go a choice of attacking options from midfield, not to mention the Doolan/Taylor problem. Though it's only a good problem if you find the right solution. We've got a system which our players are familiar with and gets the best out of most of our players so I think we have to stick with it. Which means the manager has to pick one forward and then make sure the 3 attacking midfielders back him up as much as possible which didn't happen much in the first half yesterday.

I'd go with Taylor; then Higginbotham, Bauben, Erskine with holding midfield of Bannigan and Fraser. Doolan is a great option to come on if we are chasing a result.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

...As to Doolan and Taylor playing together I feel this will happen increasingly. Doolan is too good a player to leave on the bench for any length of time. I don't believe you should call this playing a 4-4-2 simply as Doolan will always get pulled sideways and into midfield. You'd have to fine the lad or threaten him with violence for dropping off otherwise he's always going to chase balls other strikers would leave. That's just Doolan's style and something we should utilise rather than drum out of him....

As my progeny no. 1 pointed out yesterday, we seem to have a team that has largely been attractive and successful due to its attacking style, and a formation that is rigidly defensive, leaving a sole striker isolated up front. Surely it's better to devise a formation round the best players we have available, such as the roving nature of Doolan, rather than decide on the formation and then insist on players not playing to take advantage of their various skills. (Bannigan being played too far forward is a case in point.) The results seem all too obvious when you see how few goals we score, either by comparison with chances created or with other teams at the lower level in the Premiership.

• Members

Seems to me that Archie is slowly rebuilding the confidence going into the final stages of the regular season. Tightened up significantly at the back and now has plenty of options to mix things around in the attacking half of the field. All the players obviously cant play at the same time. Hopefully this can make us a bit more unpredictable than what we were in the second round of games where everyone cottoned on to what we were doing, invariably the ball going to Higgy to try and create something.

Think Archie is finally getting it , getting substitutes on earlier so they can actually affect a game,for the Motherwell game can't see Archie going for two up front but I would start with Doolan,thought he looked sharp when he came on and when he's not in the team feel we're a bit one dimensional especially when we're under pressure simply launching the ball in the direction of Lyle Taylor. Putting Taylor on with half an hour to go with his pace and power would be a fantastic asset to have. Agree with last post Higgy flatters to deceive sometimes slowing the game or giving the ball away,though nobody can question the effort he puts in( Erskine out left hand side every time) Glad to see the deadwood getting shipped out quickly rather than pick up a wage for the next year or so