Archie Must Stay

westertonjagfan

Still work to be done so not the time to be over confident but it's been clear since we brought Taylor in and Erskine back, that the team has goals in it. Erskine and Higgy are a handful for any team. Add that to the fact that Galls and Lee Mair have really tightened up the defence and as TL has said that has resulted in big Conrad getting back to his form of last season. The first and third goals were absolutely brilliant today!

it was good to see Strachan at the game today, dunno who he would have been watching though? possibly ATS with talk of Celtic looking at him? possibly Stanton after his recent form? I hope they weren't expecting to see Bannigan! had joked with my bro after the game that Higgy will be in the England squad for the world cup to solve they're problems on the left wing!

• 3 weeks later...

It's only fair.

Ok we've just had a poor game...... A very very poor game. And even worse some of the choices and decisions made appear to have backfired. It appeared to me that Archie thought he picked a team that could comfortably win the game today, he played what a lot of people have been asking for, Dools & Taylor. Things looked pretty good for 20 mins or so and no one was complaining. End result is that today didn't work! Learn and move on.

Archie and the team are not the finished article, but can we still finish above the play off spot? Do we (usually) play good football - a joy to watch at times? Have we been a much stiffer team to beat recently? Could we win the play off even if we do end up there? Do you think Archie and the players know today just wasn't good enough and do you think they will learn and try to ensure it doesn't happen again?

All yes in my opinion.

Archie out is a joke thread, no real thistle fan can be disappointed with the football we've played this last year or so. Results this season have not been what they could have but they are what we pretty much expected. Finish 10th, I'm happy that we can still do that or better ... And, if we don't I'm still a thistle fan and will support my team and the rookie manager next year. I've seen a whole lot worse.

Cheers, no more posting from me about this and apologies, I only brought it up as the joke thread was on the go again.

Mon the jags!

• Like 2

Let's see what happens at the end of the season.

There could be a few Archie loyalists on here that will be wanting him gone if we turn in a few more performances like today's.

Of course there will, but today was the 1st time where we've played badly & lost. We've primarily, this season, played well & lost (by not taking our chances), that's why the majority of fans want him to stay. More performances like today & that will turn, but considering it's the 1st such performance (in my opinion) he's still nowhere near getting sacked & shouldn't be. Positives this season far outweigh the negatives, we should be comfortable midtable (even top 6) with the games we should have won. Archie can't take all the blame for the fact that we're not, he can't put the ball in the net for the players who squandered chance after chance over the season.

Let's see what happens at the end of the season.

There could be a few Archie loyalists on here that will be wanting him gone if we turn in a few more performances like today's.

To support the club does not make you a loyalist it just means you are behind the team and want the best for them. At the end of the season if we end up in the playoffs or god for bid relegated then we have the right to question the manager.

This is completely different to twats like you who have jumped too early.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's not just about tonight.

I reckon all season Archie has been an absolute credit to himself and the club, never going overboard when we won and maintaining a calm and confident demeanour when things were tough, always dignified in any interviews, apparently popular with the players and sticking to the footballing philosophy that got us here in the first place, and brought so many people back to watch us.

I know that we can panic a bit as fans, but since within a few weeks of the season I never met another football fan who expected us to be relegated, and all I ever heard was to our credit.

He made important signings in the right positions at the right time, and his pre season signings such as Gallagher, McMillan and Higginbotham have made a huge contribution. But he's also given the young guys a chance. Some have coped better than others, but I'm sure all will have benefitted from the experience, so that the core that won the league last year can still be a big part in the future.

He also won the first division with a run of eight wins. Now he's one win away from our highest league position for a third of a century.

None of this has anything to do with being a club legend as a player. That's just a bonus. An absolute star.

• Like 7

What an achievement for Archie (and his staff). There can't be many rookie managers who have had to deal with the pressures he's had to in their first year. To take the reigns after the weasel jumped ship and win us the league was remarkable but to now guide us to safety in the top division sticking to his footballing principles all the while playing so many hoof and hope teams is to his eternal credit. This man could and should be our manager for a very long time.

A result on Saturday is important financially, but I think every fan would absolutely love to see Archie make an appearance in a Thistle shirt once again, as a late substitute. I don't think it will happen, he didn't do it last season when he had the chance & really doesn't appear to be the type to put personal glory over that of his players. Which is very admirable, not many would do the same.