Thistle V Sellick

Blackpool Jags

Well, life is all about opinions and the world would be a boring place if we all had the same opinions. I thought SOD was poor tonight - caught out badly for the first goal as was Erskine.SOD constantly gave Izzaguire too much space. I've just watched the replay on TV and Gabby is culpable in every goal we lost tonight. ATS is culpable in at least 2. SO piss poor defending has cost us again. I didn't expect us to win tonight but I expected the payers to show some fight. We didn't keep the ball long enough and gave it away too easily at times with misplaced passes. Losing the game I can accept, but to lose another 2 goals in stoppage time is really poor and that could come back to haunt us come May.

Ref was poor. Didn't produce yellow cards when they were clear bookings every day of the week.

And special mention to the total f*nny who parked his silver car at the school and blocked me in. Cheers pal - you ignorant sod.

Watch the game back again Big Col , first goal ATS plays everyone onside Lee Mair steps out to leave Stokes with a free header , Johannsen skins Mair for the third goal , wonder strike by Stokes for Fourth goal , all Gabby's fault or just a convenient scapegoat .

Sometimes you just come up against a better team. Celtic were more powerful, pacey and clinical in front of goal. At times they were playing three up front, which caused sheer panic in our defence. SOD was drifting inside to provide cover, which left us completely exposed on our right flank. In the first half Erskine looked completely baffled. He was playing as an auxiliary right back/defensive midfielder. I'm a bit disappointed that we weren't able to capitalise on the extra man we had in midfield, but they were just better all-round.

I'm not overly bothered by this result because I can't help thinking that deep down this must be a hollow victory for Celtic. Their fans must yearn for competition, drama, and a sense of achievement. When you have resources at your disposal that dwarf that of the rest of the league you get none of these things.

I agree with this. Not bothered about the result, but the score is a big blow to our goal difference and could be significant at the end of the season.

A right bunch of deeply unpleasant fans that lot. It was like living in the 1970s tonight with some of those feckers in the JHS. I'm sure some of them were wearing high waister flares and platforms. Reminded me of how civilised Firhill is every week and how much Thistle fans are all about the fitba and none of the rest of that shite. Roll on Saturday .

Best not to take the moral high ground. Was walking out last night past the some Celtic supporters watching from the canal bank, and they took some abuse from some guys leaving as well.

I'd like to agree but I actually thought many of the jags fans in the jhs were embarrassing tonight, constantly whining to the police and trying to get people thrown out just for sporting their team. At three one I couldn't believe how many people were more interested in moaning about Celtic fans than supporting the team. We knew it would be mixed tonight, so what?

But its not meant to be mixed, there is segregation, it is meant to be enforced, its even on the T&C's on the ticket for admitance to the ground.

The club saw a quick buck and to hell with the thoughts, feeling and safety of their own fans. If you buy a ST for the JHS you expect to be in the home end, safe and amongst your own kind, not sat next to vermin with their pro-IRA songs (these were clearly heard on the TV last night) and scum mentality

JLSARMY - not all of us look for a scapegoat. As I said in my post, it's all about opinions. I've watched the game again and to me, Gabby looks lost at 3 of the goals. First one he is looking round to see where Stokes is, looks away and then looks back and oops shocker - he's moved from where he was. His positioning at the other goals was questionable - had a couple of times when he could have closed down quicker instead of backing off. But hey, I'm not saying other defenders were not culpable - just pointing out that in my opinion he could have done a lot better at them.

No scapegoating - just stating my opinion.

Special thanks goes to Strathclydes finest for ruining the game for Thistle fans in block 1&2 of the main stand by doing nothing to control the 'tic fans who had found themselves in the top corner.

Also a mention to the stewards on turnstile 13 who told a 'tic fan to put his scarf in his pocket if he wanted in.

Our resistance lasted no more than 4 minutes. Pretty pathetic. In fact our record against that lot and against the dead club over the years is absolutely pathetic. It must be the worst of any other top-flight club, who occasionally manage the odd win or even a draw.

Having put up good displays against them twice earlier this season the real gulf in class/consistency finally showed through last night. Fair enough; we need to accept it and now play the remaining games as well as we can in order to save our skins. Having said that, the defence last night looked a shambles, and that includes Gallagher. Bad evening at the office!

JLSARMY - not all of us look for a scapegoat. As I said in my post, it's all about opinions. I've watched the game again and to me, Gabby looks lost at 3 of the goals. First one he is looking round to see where Stokes is, looks away and then looks back and oops shocker - he's moved from where he was. His positioning at the other goals was questionable - had a couple of times when he could have closed down quicker instead of backing off. But hey, I'm not saying other defenders were not culpable - just pointing out that in my opinion he could have done a lot better at them.

agree with this, the big man has a lot to learn defensively...also thought Mair played poorly last night too

• Members

Both Centre Backs it was reported were feeling less than 100% following flu like symptoms. With last seasons pairing both injured as well, it was always going to be tough for us defensively last night. Also Celtic put out what was a full strength side last night with 1st choices in every position for a change. No disgrace in the defeat, just a pity about the 2 late goals.

• Like 1

Watched game on Sky at a mate's house. Commentary was unbelievable. Took them 10 mins to even name a Thistle player. I went home after an hour as I could not bear to watch any more. Thistle were totally outclassed from the start. And the cynical foul on Erskine after 30 mins at least merited a yellow.

Jeez I am totally flummoxed by this thread. We were getting beat 3-1 in injury time by a team that is the best team in the country by miles. Yeah the last two goals could be costly, but then again they might not. We are one of only three teams to score against them in 4 months. I thought we did ok. Plus points were Fraser and Bannigan who for two very young guys showed they have the potential to go a lot further in the game. Disappointed with ATS, Mair and Erskine, thought they were poor, but with a reputed flu/sickness bug going around I don't think we should be too critical. As many have said our season starts now, so let's just get behind the guys and get them over that finishing line. I will refrain from commenting on the away fans in our stand as I brought two of my Celtic mates to the game tonight, but they are normal Celtic guys who didn't even respond any time they scored. They want the jags to stay up and sometimes come to Firhill to support us when the Tim's are away from home. They are two Maryhill guys with a soft spot for us. Even they were embarrassed at some of the goings on from BOTH sets of supporters last night. Anyway we roll on to Perth on Saturday to start off 7 cup finals.

• Like 2

But its not meant to be mixed, there is segregation, it is meant to be enforced, its even on the T&C's on the ticket for admitance to the ground.

The club saw a quick buck and to hell with the thoughts, feeling and safety of their own fans. If you buy a ST for the JHS you expect to be in the home end, safe and amongst your own kind, not sat next to vermin with their pro-IRA songs (these were clearly heard on the TV last night) and scum mentality

It's not meant to be mixed but is it really such a big problem? Personally I'm glad the club made a quick buck, maybe they'll sign Chris Erskine with it. I'm no tough guy but I never felt in the least bit threatened, and the only people who looked in any way likely to kick off any trouble were Thistle fans. Maybe the Main Stand was different, I don't know. If my 8-year old daughter had been with me last night (past her bedtime) we'd have stayed til the end and I'd have had no worries, and we'd have laughed at the amount of fuss that grown ups can make about so little.

IRA chanting is unacceptable but that's a wider problem (not just related to last night). Riot police should be sent in one day to make a mass arrest of thousands. Until they do that it'll never get stopped.

Calling the Celtic support in general "scum", "vermin" etc makes bigots of us all.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 3

agree with this, the big man has a lot to learn defensively...also thought Mair played poorly last night too

The OS pre game preview said Mair had been doubtful due to having caught some bug. So probably not fully fit. Also at one point in the game he seemed to be limping. Ran it off but before he did we lost the third goal. Just hope he doesn't suffer any reaction as we really need him fit for the next few games. AS it happens Piccolo caught the bug too though not as badly as Mair, so maybe neither player was 100%. Hopefully Balatoni will be back soon.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Everyone is allowed to state their opinion but highlighting Piccolo instead of saying the defence was poor is surely pinning the blame on one individual, is that not scapegoating ? Our defence just now has got two full backs who IMO can't defend to stop crosses come into the box therefore exposing Mair, Balatoni /Piccolo . Our defence last night was poor but they all were culpable not just one individual.

It's not meant to be mixed but is it really such a big problem? Personally I'm glad the club made a quick buck, maybe they'll sign Chris Erskine with it. I'm no tough guy but I never felt in the least bit threatened, and the only people who looked in any way likely to kick off any trouble were Thistle fans. Maybe the Main Stand was different, I don't know. If my 8-year old daughter had been with me last night (past her bedtime) we'd have stayed til the end and I'd have had no worries, and we'd have laughed at the amount of fuss that grown ups can make about so little.

IRA chanting is unacceptable but that's a wider problem (not just related to last night). Riot police should be sent in one day to make a mass arrest of thousands. Until they do that it'll never get stopped.

Calling the Celtic support in general "scum", "vermin" etc makes bigots of us all.

Great post, agree with every word.
  • Like 1

Watched game on Sky at a mate's house. Commentary was unbelievable. Took them 10 mins to even name a Thistle player. I went home after an hour as I could not bear to watch any more. Thistle were totally outclassed from the start. And the cynical foul on Erskine after 30 mins at least merited a yellow.

To be fair, it was about 10 mins in before we got a touch(apart from the kick off that is)

When you hear them singing their filth in the street and the pub before the game, then you hear it being belted out from what is normally our stand, then you watch us ship a few very avoidable goals, the last thing you want, or deserve, is to a see a couple of dozen of the fckers celebrating behind you.

Watching the polis effectively negotiating with them for over half an hour or so while they gloat and take the total pish at the authorities' obvious weakness turned this veteran's stomach, and I don't mind admitting to acting in a very irate manner to implore the polis just to do their fkn job and get that shower of interlopers out our stand. The rules are the rules: can anybody imagine for a split second Strathclyde's most noble taking an identical approach to the same scenario if it occurred during a Celtic v sevco match? I know they've never played each other, but I've got a fair idea of how things might pan out in that situation.

• Like 1