Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

Pity but good luck to him. He was obviously wanted and welcome back at Firhill, I think he would have become a real favourite and done well at this level. Hope that move works out for him, perhaps he wanted to stay in England.

Right, Archie, who else have you got lined up to work with (or against, in a good way!) Dools?!

Edited by mhs

We certainly didn't have any hope of signing Taylor if Scunthorpe are willing to run at this level of loss two seasons in a row:

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Club-s-accounts-reveal-1-5million-loss-Scunthorpe/story-20227467-detail/story.html

£3.5M lost in two seasons. Not quite Sevco, but no chance of competing with that.

Maybe we will pick up Taylor when they go into administration............

Paul Cairney signs for Kilmarnock and Ryan McGivern signs for Port Vale. Not fussed about the first one and even thought I was 99% sure that we wouldn't be in for McGivern I'm delighted to have it confirmed.

Good signing for Killie if the wee man can stay fit.

Not really bothered about our supposed lack of activity in the transfer market, it is obvious Archie's waiting on the World Cup to concludes, before putting a bid in for that Argentinian number 10, Have to be fair on the lad, wouldn't want to be turning his head about fulfilling his lifelong dream of wearing the Red and Yellow, whilst his country are still in with a shout with the World Cup.

I have always rated Darren Barr, he was out injured with Killie with him having a hip operation. He is only 29 so should still have a few years in him.

If he was to stay free of injury he could be a good player for us at centre back. No doubt it is a risk taking him but I am sure Archie will have his medical staff take a good look at him.

• Like 1

It's not unusual for an out of contract player to be training with us when one party or both have no interest in a signing.

Anyway on face value Barr brings buckets of SPL experience, What I don't know is his level of competence in defensive midfield. I would think he may have to impress in more than one position to be of serious interest. Could sign him purely as a more mobile replacement for Mair but being able to play the "Osbourne" role, if only as cover, would be far more advantageous.

I’m not overly optimistic about either of the two guys with us at the moment. Being new to management, it would seem Archie still doesn’t have a heck of a lot of contacts and scope. That and our limited scouting network.

As said, Barr is too injury prone and we already have an injury prone DM in Welsh.

• Like 1

Over recent years I usually find myself a bit envious of our rivals signings during the closed season. Whether it's Morton, Dunfermline, Dundee, County or whoever they regularly nip in and secure the services of players I rate. I'm encouraged so far this summer as I can't think of a player going to our likely immediate rivals that I'd be enthusing about had he come to Firhill.

That's not to say the likes of Miller and Cairney at Rugby Pk or McPake, Imrie & Cardle elsewhere won't turn out to be a thorn in our flesh. Just either don't appear to be inspired signings or carry a fair gamble. What I don't know (none of us do) is the level of quality of our own potential newboys or just how much our rivals have left in their respective kitties.

One other source of comfort, and putting Archie's limited experience aside, is that our likely serious competitors don't exactly have inspiring management in place.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Over recent years I usually find myself a bit envious of our rivals signings during the closed season. Whether it's Morton, Dunfermline, Dundee, County

Aye, if only we'd made the signings of the first two teams, who knows where we would be now! And I know every fan in the country wishes their team could play the football of Ross County, or have a top league season like Dundee's last SPL jaunt.

I suppose we can only dream.

• Like 1