Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

What was negative is we have over a month to go and we have no idea who all our targets are (actually apart from Taylor we have no idea at all). Giving a guy a trial doesn't mean he's a main target - in fact he's likely to not be a main target, since that would mean we're not 100% sure about him.

So month or more to go, plenty of time and guys are complaining either about the club being too slow or targeting players who aren't good enough when we don't really know who the club's targets are.

I'd call that pretty negative. It may end up that the club makes a few calls that deserve a bit of criticism (like Kerr last year) but we may not know for weeks to come yet. Can I repeat: we have no idea who the club are targeting.

Everyone's got a right to guess and give an opinion on whether that guess would be a good signing but the club have made no moves (since signing Ryan Stevenson) apart from Taylor who they can't really be criticised for failing to sign. So to suggest the club should be making better signings when we don't even know the real targets seems to me unfairly critical of the club and - yes - negative.

Magnay is a target & will sign believe me.

Also heard Bauben back at the end of this week for pre season.

I'd havd thought in seeing the manager said he wanted his transfer business done early then we would have seen a number of, not all, signings before going to Spain.

& like you said, "opinion".

I thought the fact the club are charging more on STs this year then we might be looking at kicking on & improving the squad.

Taylor a blow but think the club were right not throw silly money at him. However if the back up plan was, as has been reported, was Lee Miller. It seems we've missed out on our 2 main striking targets.

What was negative about Trotter's statement?

He 'thinks' we should be expecting better.

I'm sure I read this was a forum which means opinions will be expressed.

From what I've read on twitter he's in the majority expressing that view.

Interesting to see a new account appear overnight which claims to be 'ITK' about our transfer dealings.

According to them, Magnay set to sign, Barr only training with no intention to sign yet. (Make of the yet what you will) & we approached Lee Miller but he'd already agreed to sign for Killie.

Can't all be happy clappers like you Peegreenboy, life would be boring.

Lighten up, Francis.

Jesus... :wall:

Folk seem very hung up on the fact that Magnay appeared on a reality show; I'm not sure how that is any indication that he's in any way inferior to someone who went down a more traditional route. What people also seem happy to ignore is that the prize for winning the show was a six-month contract - Magnay was at Chelsea for five years.

He was very well thought of at Chelsea before picking up a horrendous injury in a reserve match. If we adopted a signing strategy that excluded players who had previously suffered serious injuries, we would have missed out on one of the best footballers I've seen play for Thistle who happens to be our current assistant manager. That is also ignoring the fact that he's played, more or less, every game for the past two seasons. I wouldn't read much into his release from Gateshead at all; they released the majority of their squad despite just missing out on promotion and if memory serves me correctly, were paying quite handsome wages for Conference level.

Some of the best players won't become available until August when clubs finalise their squads, Higginbotham being a case in point. We've made a very good signing in Stevenson and unfortunately missed out on Taylor when it looked like we had a deal complete. Do folk want Archie to broadcast who we're after so they can piss their wee panties in excitement? That's a sure fire way of ensuring we miss out on more players.

• Like 10

I see that Kenny Crichton has joined Celtic Nation FC as a physio.

Didn't he want to leave Firhill to start his own business?

It was my understanding that he already has his own business and wanted to leave Thistle to dedicate more time to it. Perhaps joining Celtic Nation will allow him some extra time to focus on his company.

Sandaza I thought would still be welcomed back at McDiarmid but I'm not sure he did his reputation.a lot of good latterly.

Tho' some signings have either still to prove their potential or things just didn't work out I don't think Archie has yet signed a player that has had a poor work ethic or was disruptive in nature. I think Sandaza actually put himself about quite a bit playing for St Johnstone and wasn't thought of as a prima donna.

Sandaza I thought would still be welcomed back at McDiarmid but I'm not sure he did his reputation.a lot of good latterly.

Tho' some signings have either still to prove their potential or things just didn't work out I don't think Archie has yet signed a player that has had a poor work ethic or was disruptive in nature. I think Sandaza actually put himself about quite a bit playing for St Johnstone and wasn't thought of as a prima donna.

Potentially could be a great signing or it could go the opposite way.

I think he is a decent player who wil score goals given the right service and has confidence in his game.

Had a bit of a bad time at Ibrox due to the amount of chances he missed and.it just kept getting worse for him.

Never short of effort and he was getting into the right positions, it was just a very bad patch he went through trying to score goals.

If he was available and Thistle have a chance to get him i think he would be worth a short term deal at least

Sandaza's a decent enough player but he strikes me as a bit of a mercenary. Okay, I know all professional footballers are, but did he not blot his copybook at Rangers by admitting that he was only there for the money? If money is his sole motivation then I am not sure we would be that attractive to him, and I am not entirely sure I would want him here either.

Sandaza's a decent enough player but he strikes me as a bit of a mercenary. Okay, I know all professional footballers are, but did he not blot his copybook at Rangers by admitting that he was only there for the money? If money is his sole motivation then I am not sure we would be that attractive to him, and I am not entirely sure I would want him here either.

To be honest most are just there for the money.

Don't think he will be asking for huge money and if it's within Thistle's budget he is at least worth a look at.

Can't say i would ever fault him for effort shown on the pitch or his attitude and he was one of those players everyone hoped could turn his game around and get the goals he needed but it wasn't to be.

If money is his sole motivation then I am not sure we would be that attractive to him, and I am not entirely sure I would want him here either.

Reporter- "Tell us, Francisco, why did you upsticks in Spain and return to Scotland?"

Sandaza- "Simples, the money Theestle were throwing about back then was just pure mental. Set me up for life, so it did"

Wouldn't have him anywhere near Firhill if it was up to me. He was rank fckn rotten for the hvns against the anti-cream of Scottish fitba when they were down there. Couldnae hit a coo on the erse wae a banjo. Besides, from what he said to the hoax interviewer about his wages at the Darklands (if he was telling the truth, of course), we could've enticed two or three Lyle Taylors for that.

A big fat NO from me.

Well we wouldn't be offering anything like the money The Rangers FC threw at Sandaza etc, and he would know that. He scored 5 goals for Lugo last season in 12 starts and 15 sub appearances according to Football Stats website. Not great, but he was excellent for St. Johnstone. Though he failed badly at Ibrox, he certainly wasn't shirking and got his face panelled in competing with the QoS keeper I think.

If Archie signs him, I would hope for St.J-level performances from him..... He is only 29, so certainly not past it.

It's all speculation at this stage, but I think Archie learned a lot in his transfer dealings last year (comparing summer to winter, bearing in mind those were the first two transfer windows of his managerial career) and I'm confident that anyone he feels is good enough will do a job for us.

I think that’s a really good point. Archie did seem in a rush to bring in Kerr and Baird during the last summer window, and that didn’t turn out so well. However, during January, he seemed to know exactly who he wanted to add. Taylor was brilliant, and say what you like about Mair, but he made the world of difference at the back.

I think that’s a really good point. Archie did seem in a rush to bring in Kerr and Baird during the last summer window, and that didn’t turn out so well. However, during January, he seemed to know exactly who he wanted to add. Taylor was brilliant, and say what you like about Mair, but he made the world of difference at the back.

I need to disagree about Mair. Our defensive record was just as bad after he arrived as before it. However, it is possible that without him it would have been even worse.

I need to disagree about Mair. Our defensive record was just as bad after he arrived as before it. However, it is possible that without him it would have been even worse.

I know what you mean, it's funny that stat.

There's no denying, with Mair and Gal behind him there was a greater confidence in the defence both from the players around them, but especially from the fans in the stand.

I can only speak for myself, but last season, we looked a lot stronger and more confident with them, instead of Muirhead and Fox.

I really hope Muirhead has learned a great deal watching the games in the second half of last season, as in the first half, he was 2 yards off his man.

Gabby, I just want him to do the basics and leave the Hollywood stuff for training. He's got the build to boss every striker in the premiership and has great timing in the tackle, he just needs to keep it simple.