Quarter Final

ThickAsThieves

Wooof

That was a right pumping. I would like to thank the unwashed eastenders for stopping after 6. It’s often said in the higher echelons of football that it is normally harder to beat ten men. These people know hee haw, thistle showed them, once you go down to ten men, you obviously go in the huff and stop playing.

Stuart must have thought that after the assault over on the far wing on Stevie I think, without even a booking, it would be ok to go flying in with a hard but gentlemanly challenge...

Oh well bring on the Hamilton

don't no why archie did not start with the tried and tested doools last night . his team selection at times is the total opposite of what most of us think. foxy s positioning at the two free kicks was of school boy standard . as for banzo s red card he owes all who who were there and his team mates a big apology .

• Members

Couple of things catching my attention in posts after the match... (not aimed at you in particular Jimmy, just happens that yours is the latest with the same criticism!)

1. There were lots of people shouting for Ecclestone to get a start with next to no-one saying Doolan should be starting before the game. Now it's totally the reverse!

2. Lots of folk questioning Fox's positioning for the free kicks. The wall covers one side of the goal, the keeper covers the other. I have only seen the first free kick admittedly but most keepers would have struggled to save that one and had Fox been beaten on the other side he would have been criticised (rightly) for 'hiding' behind the wall.

Ohwell. Roll on Saturday.

Ok, so it was Celtic, but this kind of thing is now happening all to often. The buck stops with Archie as he is presiding over a shambles of his own making. No wonder we can't score when he keeps chopping and changing the centre forward! His loyalty to Foxy and Balatoni is a mystery and remember it was Archie that blew the biggest part of our budget on Stevo, most of his other recent signings have the air of last minute stop gaps, just to get us through to the end of the season.

Never mind a us hiring a taxi to get Davie McParland to the games or naming a stand after him, we should really be offering the man his job back :)

That's interesting. Do you remember that the week after we won the league cup in 1971, we went to pittodrie and lost 7 (yes seven). And 2 or 3 weeks later we lost 5-1 to Celtic at Firhill. This kind of result happens to Thistle almost every season. It is part of our DNA.

• Like 1

Couple of things catching my attention in posts after the match... (not aimed at you in particular Jimmy, just happens that yours is the latest with the same criticism!)

1. There were lots of people shouting for Ecclestone to get a start with next to no-one saying Doolan should be starting before the game. Now it's totally the reverse!

2. Lots of folk questioning Fox's positioning for the free kicks. The wall covers one side of the goal, the keeper covers the other. I have only seen the first free kick admittedly but most keepers would have struggled to save that one and had Fox been beaten on the other side he would have been criticised (rightly) for 'hiding' behind the wall.

Ohwell. Roll on Saturday.

Agreed on both points (although I wanted Doolan to start beforehand). The second free kick was better than the first, if someone can get the ball over the wall with pace almost any goalkeeper in the world is going to struggle with that. I've not seen any replays but wonder if our wall could have done more to get in the way of them as they must have taken a fairly low trajectory.

Agreed on both points (although I wanted Doolan to start beforehand). The second free kick was better than the first, if someone can get the ball over the wall with pace almost any goalkeeper in the world is going to struggle with that. I've not seen any replays but wonder if our wall could have done more to get in the way of them as they must have taken a fairly low trajectory.

Fox got a hand to the first one and maybe could have done better; the second one was an absolute peach that went in a high parabola and dropped into the top corner. No way Fox could have got to it. Oh that we had someone who could take free kicks like that....

I have though, over time come to the conclusion, that Archie is not a very good manager, sorry that I have not got any statistics to back it up yet, will relegation do?

If you believe we have if not the lowest, one of the lowest, player budgets in the league, what finishing position would we have to end up to maybe let you have a positive rethink about the manager's capabilities?

Ok, so it was Celtic, but this kind of thing is now happening all to often. The buck stops with Archie as he is presiding over a shambles of his own making. No wonder we can't score when he keeps chopping and changing the centre forward!

How often have we been pumped like that recently?? Can't see how this is happening all too often.

As for changing the CF, the 1st 3 games were Stevenson, the rest (up till Celtic) have been Doolan, that's hardly chopping and changing.

If you believe we have if not the lowest, one of the lowest, player budgets in the league, what finishing position would we have to end up to maybe let you have a positive rethink about the manager's capabilities?

I understand the budget issue, however Archie had a big enough budget to blow 2 grand a week on Stevo. The stats look ok at the moment but I fear we are getting worse not better as time goes by.

I keep an open mind, but I honestly do not think Archie is a very good manager, I would like to believe that he was, but I'm sorry to say that I have my doubts.

How often have we been pumped like that recently?? Can't see how this is happening all too often.

As for changing the CF, the 1st 3 games were Stevenson, the rest (up till Celtic) have been Doolan, that's hardly chopping and changing.

It's not as much the scoreline Norge, it's the lack of fire and passion on the pitch that bothers me and that has IMO been happening more often of late.

On the centre forward; we had Stevo playing up front when he's not a striker, what's that all about? we then play Doolan for a hanfull of games and are surprised that he is a bit rusty! So we drop him and bang on Eccy. Have a feeling this not so merry go round will probably continue.

Wow. Who knew Celtic players were so fragile? They can barely stay on their feet; I'm surprised a strong breeze didn't blow them all over.

It's a good thing that Kevin Clancy is, as we all know, a top, top referee and made sure to look out for them all night.

Not that I'm saying we weren't shite, of course. Bit hard to do anything when it's as hard as that though.

• Like 1

It's not as much the scoreline Norge, it's the lack of fire and passion on the pitch that bothers me and that has IMO been happening more often of late.

On the centre forward; we had Stevo playing up front when he's not a striker, what's that all about? we then play Doolan for a hanfull of games and are surprised that he is a bit rusty! So we drop him and bang on Eccy. Have a feeling this not so merry go round will probably continue.

Maybe he was saving Dools for the more important league game.

Many folk on here and FB have been advocating starting Eccy and questioning Archie for not doing so, now he does and folk are questioning the decision they were asking for.

Maybe he was saving Dools for the more important league game.

Many folk on here and FB have been advocating starting Eccy and questioning Archie for not doing so, now he does and folk are questioning the decision they were asking for.

Perhaps there is reason for the Dools & Eccy switch, there may even be a good reason for playing Stevo as a striker.

It's the Stevo signing that really pisses me off, £300,000 over 3 years for what exactly? There is an old thread when Stevo signed, just about everyone was happy and Archie was getting plenty of plaudits, fair enough.

Now it's fair comment to say Stevo is a dud, but woe betide anyone that dares to criticise the man who signed him.

At the time Mr Bunny made a post on that thread which is almost clairvoyant;

"It could simply be that he is a well informed kind of guy and realises he will be able to see his contract out with us and get all the wages/bonuses he is due - and we will still be around if he wants to take up that third year option."

Perhaps there is reason for the Dools & Eccy switch, there may even be a good reason for playing Stevo as a striker.

It's the Stevo signing that really pisses me off, £300,000 over 3 years for what exactly? There is an old thread when Stevo signed, just about everyone was happy and Archie was getting plenty of plaudits, fair enough.

Now it's fair comment to say Stevo is a dud, but woe betide anyone that dares to criticise the man who signed him.

"It could simply be that he is a well informed kind of guy and realises he will be able to see his contract out with us and get all the wages/bonuses he is due - and we will still be around if he wants to take up that third year option."

the guy has played 7 games, one of them was for the last 5 mins and the majority in a role he is not used to playing. I'd say its way too early to call him a dud andy. People were calling Doolan a dud when he went online to Clyde. People called Elliot a dud as well look at them both now. 7 appearances way too early for him to be labelled a dud. You can't even say he has done nothing when he has had 2 assists mate. Also do you know for a fact he is in 2 grand a week?high earner yes not sure if it would be as much as that
  • Like 1

Don't think we can judge him fully as a player as he's not had enough game time to join that long roll of honour. My concern is that we can't play him in the role that Doolan plays - burners on overdrive, run until you drop, lost cause balls must be chased etc. So where exactly do we play him and what vision did Archie have when he thought he'd be a good signing?

The funny thing in all of this is that Stevo appears to have been rated at Hearts and fans thought he was a player. Is it all down to systems i.e. he can't fit into ours? Baffled.

Wow. Who knew Celtic players were so fragile? They can barely stay on their feet; I'm surprised a strong breeze didn't blow them all over.

It's a good thing that Kevin Clancy is, as we all know, a top, top referee and made sure to look out for them all night.

Not that I'm saying we weren't shite, of course. Bit hard to do anything when it's as hard as that though.

Total joke, the £7m man falls over with no contact and the ref who is 2 yards away gives a free kick