Defend The Indefensible

Bleeding Gums Murphy

It's going to have to be a score of Bon Accord levels on Wednesday for us to sink as low as the bottom three in that regard!

Who said anything about the bottom three?

We only need to look at the end of last season to see how goal difference can have an influence on league position. I think there were only three or four goals difference between the whole of the bottom six and I'm sure a couple of clubs would have swapped places had goal difference been different.

All three goals were defensively criminal.

1) Corner after 30 seconds that was defended even more badly than the one v St Mirren (as if such a thing were even possible).

2) Inability to defend a punt up the park from Van Dijk

3) A needless punt up the park from Balatoni (??)

Unacceptable on all three.

• Like 1

All three goals were defensively criminal.

1) Corner after 30 seconds that was defended even more badly than the one v St Mirren (as if such a thing were even possible).

2) Inability to defend a punt up the park from Van Dijk

3) A needless punt up the park from Balatoni (??)

Unacceptable on all three.

Yeah agree on this.

Losing to Celtic no disgrace but it's the manner of goals we're conceding that's the worry- not just tonight.

Just watched the first goal back when I got in there. Oh dear. Looks worse on TV then it did live & that says something.

Is that now 3 games out of 4 league games we've conceded from a corner?

I know they're bigger & stronger than us across the park but defensively we're a shambles.

Edited by Bleeding Gums Murphy

Any 1 think our bad defending/communication at the back could be down to the fact our back 4 changes Almost every game when was last time we kept the same 4 for than 2 games no wonder they look confused at times

You are probably right. But what can you do when Seaborne pulls a sickie every 2 or 3 games. What was the reason last night. Frans looks lost without Seaborne beside him. Maybe time to tryout BRE ?

Yeah, that kick off was that Lambie classic; where you pass back to the player at the the edge of the centre circle and he bangs it up to the guy in the wing who never gets it. Possession lost within seconds.

If I remember correctly as often as not the ball went right over the guy on the wing's head, so a throw-in to the opposition. I've never understood what that tactic was meant to achieve.

I've mentioned this before, but when Kevin Harper played for Hibs, as soon as they kicked off he ran at high speed right through the middle of the opposition defence and a midfielder immediately threaded through a low and generally accurate pass for him to run onto around the edge of the penalty area. It took about 4 seconds for them to be in with a chance of scoring. No idea if it worked, but it used to terrify me when they did it against us.

That would come under the bumpy pitch excuse, or Celtic being better than us. 1 of the 2.

Is anyone actually claiming that as an excuse for the loss of the opening goal last night? Or is it just an exercise in attention seeking from yourself?

I was angry after losing to ICT at the weekend but much more pragmatic after last night.

We were very poor first half but there was a marked improvement after the break. Frustrating thing was that we gave away another needless, totally avoidable, goal. We need to cut that sort of error out of our game and retain possession of the ball better.

What I find hard to understand is the abolsute glee some Thistle fans take in defeats and poor performances. The rush to share their thoughts on here and on social media. If nothing else I would have thought that the one thing we Thistle fans would have shared would have been disappointment at defeats.

Either some don't or take pleasure in winding people up on the likes of the forum. Each approach I find equally strange. But, ho hum, it takes all sorts to make a world.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 6

I don't have any glee over a defeat. Where have I shown any glee?

I'm just not a happy clapper. I am outspoken and very pissed off at what I see is a series of utterly shambolic and unacceptable performances from players that should be better than that.

I didn't expect Thistle to win or even draw last night. I just wanted the players to roll their sleeves up and showing a bit of determination after the disgrace against St Mirren and Inverness. Instead they don't show even a little modicum of professionalism and concede an incredibly sloppy and completely avoidable goal after 45 seconds from a corner when we had kick off.

That's not being beaten by Celtic's ability but by Thistlebeing a disorganised mess.

I fully agree that we need to sort it out. AA has had 62 top flight league games and the team still can't defend corners. How is that at all acceptable?

It's not the players fault. Balatoni, Seabourne and Frans all have a good number of games under their belts at this level or higher.

"Getting behind the team" isn't going to fix that.

We improved after the break but Celtic had eased off because they knew the game was won at 2-0. They did the same against Rangers and Dundee.

Feel free to disagree with me though. It's the done thing.

a question, we are missing seabourne we are playing a young left back in only his second game why do we change goalkeeper

surely a wee bit of continuity in our defence is required

thought stevenson was by far our best player last night apart from again taking corner kicks. With is strength height and skill he should in and around the box

a question, we are missing seabourne we are playing a young left back in only his second game why do we change goalkeeper

surely a wee bit of continuity in our defence is required

thought stevenson was by far our best player last night apart from again taking corner kicks. With is strength height and skill he should in and around the box

Agree, but it sums up our shambolic thinking at set pieces. It's genuinelly hard for me to accept that we actually practise setieces, far less have a planned strategy. If we do then it sure as hell isn't working!

Feel free to disagree with me though. It's the done thing.

If that happened to me all the time, I might wonder why that is.

There was a worrying look to the defending yet again last night. The one thing that's stood out to me over the last few games is how many times everyone is caught on their heels, just waiting for something to happen. How many times did we win a second ball, after a challenge in the middle of the park? It's been a very low proportion lately, as if the players just aren't sharp enough mentally.

Celtic took full advantage of our frailties, splitting our centre backs with a ball between them and the full back (or the space they should occupy in O'Donnell's case), then a quick ball into the space left by the centre back. Worked too many times in the first half, then Frans decided to go gung ho into a 80/20 header for the third.

Frustrating to see us go from being quite sharp in defence and not losing late goals anymore. To the defence becoming a problem again and now we concede early goals... F*cking hell man, I think I preferred it the other way round, least you could enjoy the game until the end. The theory on the ever changing line up may be part of it, another different back four and also Fox instead of Gallagher.

Since we were a goal down I found and it was very quiet in the main stand I took the time to reflect on what had happened in the Hamilton game compared with what is going on now. We seemed to have the tactics spot on for that game and then we didn't see them again, why the hell is that? Why aren't we hitting the byline and cutting back and hunting in packs, with sharp passing deep in the opposition half... What happened to that? Why do we insist on getting outside the box and then lobbing in a substandard ball.

Last night Celtic looked right up for that game, wanted to be first to every single ball, seemed to fight a lot harder for it than we did the majority of the time. With a few exceptions in our team.