Players Released

Fawlty Towers

Relying on highlights and the odd televised game is no way to judge the merits or otherwise of a player. That being said...

Anytime Jimmy played there was always a highlight where he played a pass that showed he saw the game a few steps ahead of most of the others on the park, didn't always come off but he had a touch of creativity about him I didn't always see elsewhere.

Good luck to him if he goes to England and a plague of boils on his right foot if he stays in Scotland.

How does he get a contract with a club that guarantees him more games. Has that club to play him even if there is someone on better form in the squad ?

I was wondering the same thing. How can a player demand to be in the team regardless of the manager's tactics and views of players' abilities, form, suitability for particular matches etc.?

Sad to see Jimmy go, as said above his contribution has been great and he's had a fair amount of undue criticism.

However, if we are to improve year on year we need to sign better players than we currently have, therefore I agree with red monkey that it could be exciting seeing us in the market for an attacking midfielder. Also, you could argue that the current squad is capable of the to half, but the management team have talked about freshness, and if we don't "mix it up" (sorry) other teams will have is pegged.

For these reasons I reckon it is a management decision and not Craigen's.

How does he get a contract with a club that guarantees him more games. Has that club to play him even if there is someone on better form in the squad ?

If we had missed out on promotion. No Stevenson, no Fraser, no Higgy and one or two others offski, Craigen could have been more than likely one of the first names on the teamsheet. He's still young enough to drop down a division (or the equivalent in England) get regular football and attract a bigger club at a later date. He's maybe not young enough to progress without increased regular football.

eta James has the opportunity of a career outside football (sports science?) so he may not feel entirely dependent on football. By that I mean unlike others he can afford to take risks with his football career.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• Members

He had been offered one year but wanted more games.

I'd imagine he was probably offered the same terms as last time, basic wage + appearance money and therefore the only way he could increase his earnings with Thistle was to play more, hence why he would want more games.

If we had missed out on promotion. No Stevenson, no Fraser, no Higgy and one or two others offski, Craigen could have been more than likely one of the first names on the teamsheet. He's still young enough to drop down a division (or the equivalent in England) get regular football and attract a bigger club at a later date. He's maybe not young enough to progress without increased regular football.

eta James has the opportunity of a career outside football (sports science?) so he may not feel entirely dependent on football. By that I mean unlike others he can afford to take risks with his football career.

Exactly, look at how we capitalised on SPL players not getting a regular game, when we were in the first. We offered the a shop window.

Who's to say Stubbs hasn't said to him, you are the guy I want to build my midfield around. Different managers see different things in players.

A real good servant to the club and I'm sad to see him go.

Everyone will obviously remember the Morton goal but another JC moment that stands out for me is his Cruyff turn and outstanding cross for Dools to head in to an empty net against Cowdenbeath at Central Park. The game was delicately poised at 1-1 before that and it took a real moment of magic from Craigen to put us back in the lead. Another massive moment in the title race which he played a pivotal part in.

He's also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. At the supporters doo at Jumpin Jaks at the end of the title winning season, James was one of only 2 players who stayed till the very end of the night and was actually buying drinks for anyone he happened to meet at the bar. A real gent.

I really do hope his career goes from strength to strength.

• Like 2

I think he'd have just as a hard a time getting a game at Hibs. They have Allan, Craig, Fyvie, McGeouch, Robertson, and Stanton for starters.

Really hope he gets a good club though. Has served us incredibly well, has a great attitude and been a good ambassador for the club.

Genuinely quite sad that most of the first division side will be gone by next season. Sod, balatoni, fox and Craigen all likely to have played their last game in red and yellow tomorrow :(

Genuinely quite sad that most of the first division side will be gone by next season. Sod, balatoni, fox and Craigen all likely to have played their last game in red and yellow tomorrow :(

Only thing that's making me want to go tomorrow and pay £22 for a meaningless game is to say goodbye to these heroes. :(

We'll only have Bannigan, Elliott and Doolan left.

I think I would also describe my feeling as sad that Jimmy Craigen no longer going to be at the club.

I've mentioned on here before that if I were to be asked my best starting eleven from our current squad that JC may not be in it. However, if it were a one to eleven of those willing to put their neck on the line, never give up, wear their heart on their sleeve and give 100% every time they pull on a Thistle jersey, then he would be my first pick.

Aside from moments that others have mentioned, his performance in the league winning match v Falkirk was outstanding.

I really hope he goes on to great things and keeps smiling.

• Like 1

I think I would also describe my feeling as sad that Jimmy Craigen no longer going to be at the club.

I've mentioned on here before that if I were to be asked my best starting eleven from our current squad that JC may not be in it. However, if it were a one to eleven of those willing to put their neck on the line, never give up, wear their heart on their sleeve and give 100% every time they pull on a Thistle jersey, then he would be my first pick.

Aside from moments that others have mentioned, his performance in the league winning match v Falkirk was outstanding.

I really hope he goes on to great things and keeps smiling.

Same with myself, but if anyone of at least five of the optimum team is unavailable who is it that would step in?

Some run, love the way he tells Higgy where to put it.

And in the same match if it wasn't for his awareness of what was going on at the infamous "corner" incident and his running to challenge the linesman after their "goal," the outcome of that game might have been quite different.

Hope he gets a game today, plays well, and gets a good send-off by the fans. Same for all the others.

A real good servant to the club and I'm sad to see him go. Everyone will obviously remember the Morton goal but another JC moment that stands out for me is his Cruyff turn and outstanding cross for Dools to head in to an empty net against Cowdenbeath at Central Park. The game was delicately poised at 1-1 before that and it took a real moment of magic from Craigen to put us back in the lead. Another massive moment in the title race which he played a pivotal part in. He's also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. At the supporters doo at Jumpin Jaks at the end of the title winning season, James was one of only 2 players who stayed till the very end of the night and was actually buying drinks for anyone he happened to meet at the bar. A real gent. I really do hope his career goes from strength to strength.

Jimmy. Thanks for winning the penalty in the Ramsden and I'm sorry to see you go. All the best for where ever you go (unless you are playing the Jags). I can't remember a Thistle player with a higher workrate.

It was super Christie Elliott that won the penalty! I still can't bring myself to watch the highlights or penalty shoot out.

Interesting snipped in The Scottish Sun that Archie wanted to keep on Craigen, but couldn't afford to. Got the impression we're going to see more of guys like Wilson, rather than get replacements in.

I genuinely don't have a problem with that.

There's no point in having a good youth system if you're not going to use it to your advantage.

I still would be surprised to see any of the boys from yesterday, Wilson included, being regular first team players next year. They're more likely to spend a year or 2 on loan to get experience.

Perhaps next season we'll see more of Scully, Lindsay & Nisbit who already have had time out on loan.

• Like 1

I genuinely don't have a problem with that.

There's no point in having a good youth system if you're not going to use it to your advantage.

I still would be surprised to see any of the boys from yesterday, Wilson included, being regular first team players next year. They're more likely to spend a year or 2 on loan to get experience.

Perhaps next season we'll see more of Scully, Lindsay & Nisbit who already have had time out on loan.

I thought Wilson looks like he stands a chance, but I'd have liked to have seen him out on loan somewhere. He's neat and tidy, but looked a bit raw.

I'd be happy with Lindsay being third choice centre half behind Seaborne and Frans. Did a great job against Ciftci on his debut, which is a bit of a baptism of fire.

I'd also like Scully to at least get a few games in pre season to see if he's up to it.

I'd like to see some of these guys get a chance. You see how good a player Bannigan is now. Some of these guys just need to be given their chance.