Partick Thistle Vs Hamilton Academical. Saturday 24 October.

jagfox

Almost every one of the Thistle team, with the possible exception Cerny ,has had a stinker this season at some point. Just look through the posts.A few weeks ago Pogba was the greatest thing since sliced bread.Now?He's a carthorse.Get real guys.There are very few players who play at their very best every game so accept that and be disappointed but don't slaughter them and say the don't try

• Like 3

Almost every one of the Thistle team, with the possible exception Cerny ,has had a stinker this season at some point. Just look through the posts.A few weeks ago Pogba was the greatest thing since sliced bread.Now?He's a carthorse.Get real guys.There are very few players who play at their very best every game so accept that and be disappointed but don't slaughter them and say the don't try

Good try. Altho' I 100% agree, nothing will stop the regular OTT criticism on here.

In typical Thistle fashion we don't do it when it's expected (home to Accies)

and do it when it's not.(away to St Johnstone)

I'm used it by now.

Accies form and league position would suggest a point isn't a disaster(like losing to Motherwell)

Never expect anything from Thistle. It's very rare we roll teams over when expected

I still wonder what law there is that we can't have Pogba and Doolan on the pitch at the same time?

We have messed around with the midfield and the defence, sometimes because we have had to, but this option, an attacking duo, appears to be beyond our management's vision.

It is up front that we are failing, defensively we are not too bad. Scoring is the issue, not defending. Doolan can track back when needed.

Anyone?

Assuming you'd want wide players to provide the service to Pogba and Doolan, that leaves 2 players to compete for the midfield to prevent the opposition from dominating the game and to provide service to the front men. Given that opposing teams are unlikely to pass up the opportunity to put 3 of their midfield players on 2 of ours, playing Pogba and Dollan up front together seems risky in the extreme. Doolan has been tried in behind the front striker, but it's never worked: he's not the player for that position. Unless every team in the league goes back to playing like it was the 70's (would get my vote, actually), the more pressing issue is how can we support the front man, whoever he is, more effectively?

• Like 1

I really feel for Doolan. Our top scorer for three (?) seasons with double figures each time, and each time some other striker arrives (or even non-striker - Stevenson) - who invariably turns out to be no better than him - Doolan automatically gets benched for weeks or months, bus is sometimes thrown on with a few minutes to go and expected to work miracles when the cause is already lost.

Who knows how he feels, but in his position I'd be looking to get out.

I really feel for Doolan. Our top scorer for three (?) seasons with double figures each time, and each time some other striker arrives (or even non-striker - Stevenson) - who invariably turns out to be no better than him - Doolan automatically gets benched for weeks or months, bus is sometimes thrown on with a few minutes to go and expected to work miracles when the cause is already lost.

Who knows how he feels, but in his position I'd be looking to get out.

That's just obviously wrong.

That's just obviously wrong.

Apart from the "bus" instead of "but," in what obvious way(s) is it wrong? How many matches has Doolan started this season since Pogba arrived? How many last season, when Stevenson and Taylor were at Firhill? And how many goals have they all scored? I'd reckon that equated for match time, Doolan has scored more than all three put together.

Apart from the "bus" instead of "but," in what obvious way(s) is it wrong? How many matches has Doolan started this season since Pogba arrived? How many last season, when Stevenson and Taylor were at Firhill? And how many goals have they all scored? I'd reckon that equated for match time, Doolan has scored more than all three put together.

For much of the season it's been a lack of goal scoring opportunities being created for the striker that's been the problem. Under circumstances like that it's easy enough to see why Archie has preferred Pogba upfront (even Stevenson and Nisbet at a stretch). Turn it on its head and if we're creating a barrow load of half chances and not getting anything from Pogba then Doolan should undoubtedly be starting. Dools will know from sitting on the bench that there's been precious few chances that Pogba's spurned that he'd have put away.

Should also be minded that both Pogba and Doolan are preferred in the striker role to Muirhead who on paper at least is "rated" in that position. Kris I sense will also know that, unless a team in the top league plays as default 4-4-2 or three at back, then the chances of getting a regular start elsewhere would be slim.

Gotta agree tho' we should really be at this stage looking on who to play upfront as a good problem. That will alas only come about when moves from midfield and the flanks to the striker produce more goal threats. Till then we'll most likely persist with strength and hold up play as a major concern of the striker.

Ah,so you're another who thinks a strikers sole responsibility is to score goals. Cool.

How many wins do we have with Pogba starting compared with Doolan this season? Is that just a coincidence, it could it be that the team works better with Pogba in it?

• Members

Pogba by his own admission, is not yet fully fit. That is probably as good a reason as any to be replacing him before the end of the game. Other than that it's obvious (well to me anyway!) that Archie's preferred set up is one striker up front with support from the likes of Lawless and Amoo. Archie wan mainly ts his striker to hold up the ball till support arrives. Dools isn't that sort of striker, hence since Archie's taken over, we've seen Craig, Taylor, Stevenson and now Pogba playing that role. When Doolan is on the park he offers something different and makes defenders work harder because of his mobility.

With regard to the two up front formation, the first tiem I remember Archie playing it was away at Airdrie in the promotion season with Craig and Doolan up top. 1-0 down going into the final stages of the game and he changed back to the usual formation taking off Craig (?) and bringing on Erskine. End up winning 2-1. The next time was at home to Hearts in our 1st season back in the top league. Went with Taylor and Doolan up front and we got hammered at home mainly due to a Ryan Stevenson hat trick. So I can understand why he doesn't really go to this formation very often!

Pogba is right. We need more balls into the box.

If Amoo refuses to even attempt to get to the bye line get him out the team. Even the wonderful wee muzzy had amooitis on Saturday, never even once getting past their donkey no. 3

I would like to see Gary Fraser back into the team as long as he has the right attitude. And get the full backs bombing on to his passes.

The midfield were so poor at this on Saturday so Welshman needs a wee rest.

Ah,so you're another who thinks a strikers sole responsibility is to score goals. Cool.

How many wins do we have with Pogba starting compared with Doolan this season? Is that just a coincidence, it could it be that the team works better with Pogba in it?

Of course a striker has to do more than simply score, though if he does only the latter often enough then few people would complain. If Pogba starts to approach anything like Doolan's scoring record I'll be the first to sing his praises. If he doesn't and he continues to be preferred to Doolan while our league position remains precarious, I will question whether the team works better with Pogba in it rather than Doolan, or Stevenson, or anybody else for that matter.

Of course a striker has to do more than simply score, though if he does only the latter often enough then few people would complain. If Pogba starts to approach anything like Doolan's scoring record I'll be the first to sing his praises. If he doesn't and he continues to be preferred to Doolan while our league position remains precarious, I will question whether the team works better with Pogba in it rather than Doolan, or Stevenson, or anybody else for that matter.

Right, so hypothetically, if we continue to play better and pick up points with Pogba in the team, but he himself doesn't have the best scoring record, then you'll question whether the team works better?

Is it not fairly blatantly obvious that, so far, this season the team has functioned much better with Pogba in it? As demonstrated by 7 points from 3 as opposed to 3 from 8 or whatever it was? This isn't a slight on Doolan who is clearly a good player, but it's apparent that Pogba is fitting the tactics better and we're playing as a result.

Right, so hypothetically, if we continue to play better and pick up points with Pogba in the team, but he himself doesn't have the best scoring record, then you'll question whether the team works better?

Is it not fairly blatantly obvious that, so far, this season the team has functioned much better with Pogba in it? As demonstrated by 7 points from 3 as opposed to 3 from 8 or whatever it was? This isn't a slight on Doolan who is clearly a good player, but it's apparent that Pogba is fitting the tactics better and we're playing as a result.

Point(s) taken. Let's hope that the run of better results continues, whoever it playing