Your Favourite Jag Ever And Why

Weebaw1

It can only be Alan Rough for me, in my time following the Jags no one other than Roughie has been consistently on top of their game like he has over such a period of time. I've enjoyed Dougie, Melrose, Parks, Johnston, Watson, Craig, Nelson, Lindua, Brittain, Burns, McLean, Erskine, Doolan and others in a limited period.

All Jags legends as far as I am concerned and I am sure there are others that I have forgot or don't rate as highly as others such as Ian MacDonald or Kenny McDowall however the small impact they have had or enjoyment was appreciated at the time. There are others such as Charnley & Hardie that no matter how good they were in a Thistle shirt I can't acknowledge for either there antics out with a Thistle shirt or the character they were.

Chico. Gutted every time he left, over the moon every time he came back. Mooning the opposition fans, hitting the Aberdeen mascot, getting total abuse from away fans then sticking it right down their throat with a defence splitting pass or wonderful goal. Something from nothing and running in glue when trying to track back! Always remember the huge picture back page of Herald when he nutmegged Cantona and had the biggest grin ever but was wearing a Celtic strip..... Made going to Firhill in bleak times worth while.

I started regularly going around 2001 so some great memories and great players. Tough to decide between Scott Paterson and Martin Hardie both of whom were magnificent players but I have to give it to Paterson as he was just brilliant to watch. In recent years Chris Erskine has been my favourite to watch. Honourable mention to Gabriel Piccolo for being all round good guy/handsome b*****/total bombscare

Been stalking the forum for a couple of years but, as I haven't been able to watch the team play live, I didn't want to intrude!!

First memories of going to Firhill in 1976 and that, to me, was full of legends as a 10 year old!

However, the player I absolutely idolised was wee Donald Park.So tenacious, never took a step back and just a driving force when he played.

What a great thread guys...thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

Beyond doubt for me. Got to be Roughie. For sheer talent we could have Chic, John Donnelly and Peter Lindau and for service we could have Davy McParland, Donnie McKinnon, Jackie Campbell, Andy Anderson, John Hansen, Kenny Watson and perhaps Kris Doolan is getting there, but given the caps he got and the fact that we were part time for most of the period, it's got to be Roughie!

Edited by Lindau

Beyond doubt for me. Got to be Roughie. For sheer talent we could have Chic, John Donnelly and Peter Lindau and for service we could have Donnie McKinnon, Jackie Campbell, Andy Anderson, John Hansen, Kenny Watson and perhaps Kris Doolan is getting there, but given the caps he got and the fact that we were part time for most of the period, it's got to be Roughie!

Jackie Campbell and Andy Anderson: how I'd love to travel back in time and see them playing together again.

• Like 3

I go back to 1970 and for me it has to be Denis McQuade.

He is everything you love about Thistle in a single man. Brilliant one minute and doing things that Messi and Ronaldo could only dream of and next minute make Mark Kerr look like a footballing genius. Yes he was infuriating (like Thistle), but you just never knew what you were going to get next (and I'm not sure he did either).

This for me. I would add Davie McParland, though, and say that I couldn't split the two and wouldn't attempt to, as contrastingly different as they were from each other.

Loved Nicky Henderson - worked his a*se off during a particularly bleak period for the Jags and I don't feel ever really got the credit he deserved. One moment sticks in my mind - him busting a gut to chase down a lost cause of a pass in the 87 th minute to f a one - nil defeat up at Mcdiarmid.

Was It Nicky that booted a corner right out the ground at Stirling when we were down to nine men and hanging on?

There's loads of guys that gave it all but will maybe not considered greats or all all time favorites, here's to them too.

Loved Nicky Henderson - worked his a*se off during a particularly bleak period for the Jags and I don't feel ever really got the credit he deserved. One moment sticks in my mind - him busting a gut to chase down a lost cause of a pass in the 87 th minute to f a one - nil defeat up at Mcdiarmid.

Every time I hear Nicky's name I still can't believe we didn't get the 2nd PK against the Arabs in the play off 2nd leg. Hopefully karma to eventually arrive in May :)

Hahaha, that Nicky Henderson moment was brilliant.

I,m sure the ref blew up right after as they couldn't get the ball back quickly enough. Was that at the save the jags crisis?

Forgot about wee Parky, he had the same attitude to defenders as Somner. GIRFUY! His Battles with that massive donkey Doug Rougvie were legendary.

Danny Lennon, Shaggy, Archie (Archibald, Archibald, running down the wing. Archibald, Archibald, loves to swing them in. That number 3, what is he called? Archibald, Archibald, Archibald), Scott McCulloch, Marko, Doolan, all great contenders, but:

5:40

Edited by flashman
  • Like 1

Danny Lennon, Shaggy, Archie (Archibald, Archibald, running down the wing. Archibald, Archibald, loves to swing them in. That number 3, what is he called? Archibald, Archibald, Archibald), Scott McCulloch, Marko, Doolan, all great contenders, but:

5:40

That middle clip is great. That was a great time to be watching the Jags!

Donnie McKinnon without a doubt. Could have gone with his twin brother Ronnie to a certain other club as a youngster but had already agreed to join the Jags and wouldn`t go back on his word. Served the club faithfully for many years as player and as physio. His testimonial game against Man Utd on 5th November 1973 was no less than he deserved. On a personal note as I`ve mentioned before his mother came from my village in Lewis and my boyhood hero always took time to write me letters and send souvenirs some of which I still have nearly 50 years on. A living legend!

• Like 2