Your Favourite Jag Ever And Why

Weebaw1

I started supporting circa 1968 the day we beat hearts 5-1 at Firhill. My father really hated football but had a passing fancy for hearts so dragged me along, aged 13

I had only ever watched rugby before this but was totally transfixed by the magnificent Jags and such a fervent support. I have missed very few home games since that life changing day. And of course now my 2 sons join me on a Saturday.

So I was in time to see the relegation season including an 8-1 doing by st Johnstone in the LC and the sublime awakening of mcparlands team shortly after.

You would think my favourite would be from the LC winning squad but, inspired BT all the chat about Dools recently who I admire greatly, I still cannot see past Dougie Somner who was Dools and Lyle TAylor in one. He despised central defenders specially of the ugly sisters variety and got it right up them. Never took a backward step. Took no shite. Scored some cracking goals esp vs hearts at tynecastle in the last minute in some daddy cup. We were chased out of gorge that night!! And he loved PTFC! I eventually forgave him when he went to st m and unsurprised he became a legend with them too. Don't recall him doing much against us either.

We eventually got the Beast and Jim Melrose and then Chic and Lindau and shaggy. But Dougie us the man for me.

• Like 2

Excellent post. Somner was indeed something else.

Too many favourites to choose from, but I would narrow it down to Davie McParland and Alan Rough. DP as an almost ever present, never-give-up player right from the 1950 to the late 60s, through thick and thin, and then taking on the role of manager and waltzing through the First Division to get us immediate promotion and then on to win the League Cup. Got his team playing some of the best football I'd seen. AR: just a brilliant keeper for us for so many years, with moments of comedy of course. Saved us from so many doings on so many occasions. Unbelievable saves at times, and the occasional cringeworthy mistake. And one of the most successful Scotland goalkeepers into the bargain.

I could go on an on about other players too.......

I go back to 1970 and for me it has to be Denis McQuade.

He is everything you love about Thistle in a single man. Brilliant one minute and doing things that Messi and Ronaldo could only dream of and next minute make Mark Kerr look like a footballing genius. Yes he was infuriating (like Thistle), but you just never knew what you were going to get next (and I'm not sure he did either).

• Like 1

My first match was in 1997 but I probably started going regularly from 2002. So, in that limited timeframe, my favourite as a youngster was Big Mad Mental Martin Hardie, and my recent favourites are David Rowson, Gary Harkins, Chris Erskine, Kris Doolan and Mark Roberts.

If you put a gun to my head and told me to pick one then I'd probably say Dools.

Been watching Thistle since 1977, and the choice of favourite player is really difficult. In a way you want your favourite to reflect the character of the fans and the club, in which case I would go for Chic Charnley - brilliant and crap in the space of 45 minutes (sometimes less). But for sheer football talent I go for Scott Patterson - rarely made a mistake and his distribution was sublime.

Davie McParland. And I'd be saying that even if he hadn't managed us. 16 years a player, nearly 600 appearances, long serving captain. Davie played in numerous positions, tho' best used as a winger. Despite often playing in a non attacking role he still managed well over 100 goals. And then there's the small matter of turning the fortunes of the Club around as manager. True gentleman into the bargain..

I too took up the mantle in the late 60s - but only really got properly into it in the relegation season, so out of adversity was born a lifelong burden!

I suppose Denis has to be the icon for all the reasons given above (and for that goal against Clyde) but strangely one player almost inadvertently has become my favourite Jag of all time - possibly due to where I stood as a wee boy back in the 1971-72 season - Alex Forsyth. At the time i suppose he was just another very good player in what was a very good side but although I always wanted the team to succeed I wanted him to never fail - to score his penalties - to overlap - to tackle fairly but ferociously - I thought he was a class act.

I never really minded that he was sold to Man United (he was a good player and good players tended to go to good teams) jings he even played for Glasgow R(IP) and scored an own goal for us there which was nice :-) - and even when playing for Hamilton he scored the winner against us with a few mins to go in an awful Sunday afternoon match in 1984 I wasn't too annoyed because he was only doing what a good player would do.

Perhaps a bit "under the radar" as a potential favourite player and notwithstanding Denis, and Dougie Somner, and Hansen (A.) and Bobby Law and Roughie and all the other hundreds of potential nominees - Alex Forsyth just about edges it as my favourite Jag.

I would have to split it in to decades,

70s- A tie between Rough and Big Denis, both flawed geniuses.

80s- no doubt Kenny Watson, dont know if there would be a Thistle if not for him.

90s- The king of spain, ran himself into the ground every time he pulled the jersey on.

00s- Rowser, The day he scored after his father died still brings a lump to my throat.

11s- Erskine, A millennium version of McQuade, hope he returns one day.

Honorable mentions to Chico, Archie, Somner, Badger. Jackie C

I started supporting circa 1968 the day we beat hearts 5-1 at Firhill. My father really hated football but had a passing fancy for hearts so dragged me along, aged 13

I had only ever watched rugby before this but was totally transfixed by the magnificent Jags and such a fervent support. I have missed very few home games since that life changing day. And of course now my 2 sons join me on a Saturday.

So I was in time to see the relegation season including an 8-1 doing by st Johnstone in the LC and the sublime awakening of mcparlands team shortly after.

You would think my favourite would be from the LC winning squad but, inspired BT all the chat about Dools recently who I admire greatly, I still cannot see past Dougie Somner who was Dools and Lyle TAylor in one. He despised central defenders specially of the ugly sisters variety and got it right up them. Never took a backward step. Took no shite. Scored some cracking goals esp vs hearts at tynecastle in the last minute in some daddy cup. We were chased out of gorge that night!! And he loved PTFC! I eventually forgave him when he went to st m and unsurprised he became a legend with them too. Don't recall him doing much against us either.

We eventually got the Beast and Jim Melrose and then Chic and Lindau and shaggy. But Dougie us the man for me.

Great thread for a day when the football is off Weebaw 1

That game against Hearts when we won 5-1 with a Jimmy Bone hat-trick was the first time I went to Firhill on my own - my father had taken me to a few games as a nipper previously.

There have been some worthy nominations. I did see Dave McParland play but I was too young to have a true judgement on his ability...Alan Rough was fantastic...I was a big fan of Alex Forsyth...Doug Somner was a great striker. I would add Alan Hansen, probably the most talented Jag, Mo Johnston, David Irons as a sweeper...all three of them were not at Firhill long enough.

But my all-time favourite was Ronnie Glavin...the driving force in Dave McParland's side...he could win the ball, pass and dribble and had a thunderous shot and always played with a swagger...his transfer to Celtic was as traumatic a Thistle experience for me as being at that 8-1 thrashing we took at Firhill from St Johnstone.

Im not certain of when I first started going (or was dragged along). The original poster might be able to tell me!?...

First memories are probably of 11-1 at Firpark in '93 when I was 8 when Albert Craig scored 5. Then there was also a freezin' cauld midweek game at Brockville (Davie Irons goal?) which might have been even earlier. That was my first taste of bovril.

Nicky Henderson making sure our miserable Cup form continued by scoring for Cowdenbeath against us around '93 time as well.

These were the first memories and Chic Charnley, Albert Craig and Nicky Walker were all early favourites.

Gerry Britain later on for sheer effort and commitment and THAT goal at Dens

Martin Hardie for strength and passion.

Graeme Dorrans who should have gone on to be Scotland great.

Today's favourite is Kris Doolan and I reckon he could well become one of the the stars in our hall of fame.

Head and shoulders above all of these contenders however; Scott Paterson. Lambie always found good players or was able to get the most out of average ones but the signing of Scott Paterson went directly against the grain.

I'm sure Scott disobeyed demands to clear his lines, clean out defenders and keep his line. He knew he was better on the ball, quicker in the turn, sharper in his passing and had a greater eye for the game than any of the opposition he came across. Friends of ours used to visit Firhill just to see him.

Although a defender in the lineup, he was our greatest threat. Moving the ball forward quickly or dodging his way out of a few tackles to open up the midfield, he was a figure of great stature but also carefully crafted poise. He had been nurtured by the great coaches of Liverpool's famous Melwood training ground and it was there for all to see.

I'm delighted it's worked out for Archie as manager but I extend the same gratitude to Scott Paterson and have no doubt he's imprinting on the young sides we've seen at Firhill of late.

• Like 1

Best thread on this forum for a long while - well done to everyone for posting their opinions, this is really interesting.

My introduction to Thistle was a 0-1 defeat to the scummy Shawfield lot (Joe Gilroy in the first minute) in 1966-67.

So seen a fair few winos, rhinos and lunatics take a Thistle jersey and disgrace it.

However, also seen a fair few who have been gems.

Football has moved on since the halcyon days of the 60s an 70s, so forgive me if I choose someone around just now who has worked his bollox off to get where he is.

He shows loyalty, commitment and epitomises everything we want in a Jags player.

I've seen many, many players in a Jags shirt with way more ability than he has.

But I've never ever seen a Thistle player as committed to our club as Kris Doolan.

• Like 1

I probably didn't start going to Thistle games on even a semi-regular basis until about 2006, so I've got far less to choose from than some of the guys here, but I still have a few players I absolutely loved.

Kallum Higginbotham is quite probably the most enjoyable player to watch I've ever seen in a Thistle shirt. Even in his poorer second season, you always got the sense that a bit of magic was never too far away, and he went on a one man mission to make sure we avoided the playoff in the first season up with some absolutely genius displays. His conduct since he left could be seen as questionable but there's no doubt that he was a cracking player for us overall, and thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Ross Forbes is another. I still love seeing Ross Forbes play, for the life of me I can't work out why. That goal against Dunfermline in the 5-1 game is one of my favourite Thistle goals, and the winner in the 2-1 against St Mirren was absolutely great scenes as well. If he had even a semblance of pace and could maintain a good level of fitness, he'd have had a very good career.

Stevie Murray is one from my earlier years where whenever I went he seemed to play well, even though that obviously can't be true. I remember one game, I think it may have been against Alloa, where he came on either at or just after half time and ended up man of the match.

Of our current team, Frederic Frans stands out. He just seems to absolutely love everything about the club, and seems like an absolutely top like away from the pitch as well. Added to the fact that, although he hasn't found it again this season, he's really quite good at defending then I like him quite a lot.

I also have big soft spots for guys like Erskine, Rowson, O'Donnell, Elliott, Doolan etc but these are a few of my favourites. If I was forced to pick one right now it'd be Frans I think.

Very difficult 1970s the one and only Dennis Mcquade, closely followed by Doug Somner. Dennis because he was brilliant and the all time quintessential Jags player and big Doug because he scored loads of goals.

1980s Donald Park wee Donald because I used to think he was brilliant.

Edited by stillresigned

Alan Archibald, anyone? 400+ games, 2 promotions as a player, captain, scored winning penalty in a cup shoot-out vs Livi.

Took over as manager, got us up, kept us up twice (so far), has signed some cracking players, always handles himself well in the media.

But the cherry on top... he once stuck the head on Dougie Imrie.

I suppose the only blot on the copybook was leaving for United but I'm over that now.

Alan Archibald, anyone? 400+ games, 2 promotions as a player, captain, scored winning penalty in a cup shoot-out vs Livi.

Took over as manager, got us up, kept us up twice (so far), has signed some cracking players, always handles himself well in the media.

But the cherry on top... he once stuck the head on Dougie Imrie.

I suppose the only blot on the copybook was leaving for United but I'm over that now.

Yes, me. Conducted himself as a player and captain just as he does as a manager (with the one notable exception mentioned). Calm, assured, unhurried and understated. Great positional awareness, could really read a game. Always there to cover. Strong and effective tackles and good clearances. And he once scored two in a game against Hearts.

I think that the move away to DU was good for him. It might turn out to be good for us. If another club comes calling for his services he may, this time, take a good look around and realise what he has at home.