Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

I see Ryan Edwards is back, as the Aussie U-23s failed to qualify for the Olympics.

Anybody got a view on him? Unfortunately, the only Aussie international I can remember at Firhill is the disaster that was Madaschi.

Could he be like a new signing? And this may be pushing it.... but if Bannigan leaves, could Edwards replace him?

Can we stop talking about Bannigan leaving? It's like we're talking it into reality.

I haven't been that impressed with Edwards but who knows, maybe with a run in the team he'd do a job. I'd say that if Erskine or someone else doesn't come in then he might get chances.

• Like 2

I was a journalist for over 40 years working for - among others- reuters and the daily telegraph in Fleet Street. With respect, you do not know what you are talking about...

With respect, I deal with them most days of the week. The Daily Telegraph is not a broadsheet title guaranteed to win acclamation - except from corporate advertisers, of course. Perhaps that's why it's given away with bottles of water.

<http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article4357551.ece>

<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/telegraph-row-newspaper-faces-further-claims-that-advertising-revenue-drove-editorial-policy-10054883.html>

There are real journalists in the English-speaking world, of course, but it's just that they don't get much coverage. Greg Palast and John Pilger come to mind. Most so-called journalists just rehash PR releases, which is why news is generally issued according to a controlled timetable - it's easier to dominate public debate that way.

• Like 2

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, some even have their opinions formed by the 'great' journalists they acclaim.

For me, I read Robert Philips columns in the Telegraph for a number of years. It was often informative, and always a joy to read - and I thought that even before I knew he was a Jags fan! If writing well and bringing joy are the criteria of a good journalist (rather than someones politics being aligned to your own which is the measure some seem to choose to use) Robert certainly was/is a good journalist IMO.

• Like 3

I once worked a weekend with Ian Woolridge who was a wonderful journalist. I knew Ian Archer fairly well, another great newsman who, unlike others of his profession, continually walked a tightrope by never ingratiating himself with the ugly sisters. Yet Ian remained at the top of his trade for years. Stuart "Bullet" McCartney, tho' mostly a mainstream & crime journalist, also turned in excellent copy from a sports perspective.

Personally I often found that the so called "football hacks", when given more latitude on others sports, could be every bit as professional as some of the better known journalists of the day. As in many walks of life there's true professionalism and disgraceful amateurism. Honest journalism or hack reporting, just like you get a Kris Doolan or a Stephen McConalogue.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

I once worked a weekend with Ian Woolridge who was a wonderful journalist. I knew Ian Archer fairly well, another great newsman who, unlike others of his profession, continually walked a tightrope by never ingratiating himself with the ugly sisters. Yet Ian remained at the top of his trade for years. Stuart "Bullet" McCartney, tho' mostly a mainstream & crime journalist, also turned in excellent copy from a sports perspective. Personally I often found that the so called "football hacks", when given more latitude on others sports, could be every bit as professional as some of the better known journalists of the day. As in many walks of life there's true professionalism and disgraceful amateurism. Honest journalism or hack reporting, just like you get a Kris Doolan or a Stephen McConalogue.

In the current football media in Scotland there are a hell of a lot more McConalogues than Doolans though the latter does exist in small numbers. A seat in press boxes of grounds in Scotland can be a real eye opener. A couple of examples from recent years include one hack spending 90 minutes with his back to the game asking what was going on and another hack not being able to tell the difference between Conrad Balatoni and Isaac Osbourne.

With respect, I deal with them most days of the week. The Daily Telegraph is not a broadsheet title guaranteed to win acclamation - except from corporate advertisers, of course. Perhaps that's why it's given away with bottles of water.

<http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/medianews/article4357551.ece>

<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/telegraph-row-newspaper-faces-further-claims-that-advertising-revenue-drove-editorial-policy-10054883.html>

There are real journalists in the English-speaking world, of course, but it's just that they don't get much coverage. Greg Palast and John Pilger come to mind. Most so-called journalists just rehash PR releases, which is why news is generally issued according to a controlled timetable - it's easier to dominate public debate that way.

I do not know about acclamation but in 2005 the daily telegraph was voted ' world newspaper of the year' by the international Paralympic committee for our coverage of the 2004 Athens games. I received the award in Beijing with champagne although I am sure they would have given me a free bottle of water had I asked

Edited by robphil

Feel like i'm pretty qualified to jump in here as I once had a paper round. The only journalist of my generation worth his salt, was Rab Christie.

Rab gave me a mention in the evening times once for heedin the ball back on the park during our drab 1 nil defeat to Accies. He said the best part of the game for Thistle was when a young spectator headed the ball back on the park. What a heedy it was the ball came right up into middle of the JH and I thumped it right back on got biggest cheer of the match, put Murray and Medaschi to shame. I'm sure it was Derek & Gerry's last game in charge.

• Like 1

I do not know about acclamation but in 2005 the daily telegraph was voted ' world newspaper of the year' by the international Paralympic committee for our coverage of the 2004 Athens games. I received the award in Beijing with champagne although I am sure they would have given me a free bottle of water had I asked

I ate in a restaurant last week, it wasn't very good. I was quite surprised because, ten years ago, Tam Cowan said it was nice.

• Like 1

I was miles away up the back of the city end, but I remember it being the highlight of the game. Loads of folk applauding and one old guy pointing towards the park as if to say, "you should be on there instead of them!"

Think a few fan could have done a lot better than some of the dross we had at that time.