Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

As long as we lose no one tonight I'll be reasonably happy. Christie back, two guys in. We've lost Stevo and Muirhead who contributed very little, so I reckon we're probably better off. Maybe we'll see Gary Fraser getting more fit/involved, which would be good.

But a late deal on a Erskine would be fantastic.

• Like 1

I'm reasonably happy with that, especially since no one has left. German's track record isn't fantastic but I'll give him a chance, while Nesbitt seems to be very highly rated. Premiership football is a big step up, however.

Not only do we have these two coming to us with something to prove - Edwards has only featured in 3 matches for us, Pogba and Fraser have been stop-start because of injuries, Elliott's only just returned from a long term injury and although Amoo's found the net a few times, he's not properly convinced anyone yet. With real competition for places now, hopefully they all work hard to step it up and we see positive contributions from most of them.

Cerny

Dumbuya - Frans - Seaborne - Booth

Osman - Bannigan

Amoo - Lawless - Elliott

Doolan

Scully, Lindsay, Welsh, Fraser, German, Edwards, Nesbitt.

Gallacher, Miller, Wilson, Leyden, Pogba, Nisbet.

As long as we lose no one tonight I'll be reasonably happy. Christie back, two guys in. We've lost Stevo and Muirhead who contributed very little, so I reckon we're probably better off. Maybe we'll see Gary Fraser getting more fit/involved, which would be good.

But a late deal on a Erskine would be fantastic.

they did contribute 3 goals though perhaps not much effort. I rate Elliot with effort though he's not perhaps renowned with goals as much. Edwards, bannigan, Osman and lawless, Wilson combined had not got that though they will put on far more effort - but the 2 referred there goals may still be important

• Members

Dundee United have weakened in the window imo. I wonder if despite the Killie result, they've more or less accepted relegation or is Mixu going to try and get the older heads back in the side and try to grind out some results with the aim of clawing something back?

Must see the lads first before judgement can be made, Its going to be hard on them coming in mid season, when the hopes of so few are riding on them. The big disappointment for me is the failure of the youth development to produce. So keep yer heads up boys, walk wi a swagger and give us ten goals each before the end of the season. Welcome to Firhill, Mon the Jags

I have had emails from three Celtic supporting mates saying the equivalent of we have won the lottery for getting young Aidan on loan for the rest of the season. They all reckon he should be in the current Celtic team and can't believe that their club has allowed him to come to Firhill. Could be a fantastic bit of business by Archie and probably backed up by this bit from a Celtic fanzine tonight, (see below) complaining about the direction their club is going in, by letting their top young talent come to us, while replacing him with a loan deal for a guy that cost Man City £12,000,000!!

Today, on the day a Manchester City youth player arrives at Parkhead to wild acclaim from some quarters and entreaties to us to embrace our new found position on the food chain, one of our own, young Aidan Nesbitt, has left on loan, on the very day he scored (twice) against the Sevco youth development team for what is the umpteenth time, and was garnering the usual praise.

Aidan Nesbitt should be a prime-time candidate for one of the banners on The Celtic Way, a home-grown superstar with the attitude and talent to make it big. Yet I don’t think we’ll ever fly the flag, because I don’t think we’ll ever see him develop at Parkhead.

Even as he proves, yet again, that he has the attributes to be a top talent, we’re scrambling around the free transfer market, trying to bring to the club a player who’s attitude reeks, who’s personal reputation goes way before his footballing one, and who looks as if he will play in the very position young Nesbitt could be filling, if we had a club with any coherent strategy at all.

Edited by Lindau

I think we need to get real here guys. We have strengthened our squad in this window, whether they turn out to be good or bad we have added some numbers which is what we needed to do.

If you look at some of the videos of AN he looks like a young exciting player who is a promising prospect and is someone who Archie enquired about at the start if this window, therefore he was clearly a target.

AG is less of a known quantity as are most of the players signed by our rivals with the exception of Gomis and Gomis plays the Osman role so no need to sign him.

Finally at some stages of the window in early January it appeared we would lose Bannigan and potentially Osman, we didn't, and that is a huge relief, ok we didn't get Erskine in however that would have been football suicide by Mixu and perfectly understandable.

If u look at Utd, losing Soutar weakens them, so let's get that glass half full again and stop having a pop at players coming in who may turn out to be real assets for the run-up the season.

• Like 8

I think we need to get real here guys. We have strengthened our squad in this window, whether they turn out to be good or bad we have added some numbers which is what we needed to do.

If you look at some of the videos of AN he looks like a young exciting player who is a promising prospect and is someone who Archie enquired about at the start if this window, therefore he was clearly a target.

AG is less of a known quantity as are most of the players signed by our rivals with the exception of Gomis and Gomis plays the Osman role so no need to sign him.

Finally at some stages of the window in early January it appeared we would lose Bannigan and potentially Osman, we didn't, and that is a huge relief, ok we didn't get Erskine in however that would have been football suicide by Mixu and perfectly understandable.

If u look at Utd, losing Soutar weakens them, so let's get that glass half full again and stop having a pop at players coming in who may turn out to be real assets for the run-up the season.

Not a lot to disagree with there.

Add Elliott and Edwards to what we had for the first half of the season.

Edited by Jaggernaut
  • Like 1

Agree with the gist of your post, DC, but I think you would have to be completely new to watching football to fail to see the potential of Nesbitt. I think that he'll offer the sort of creativity Archie has been looking for, albeit at his age used lightly and/or maybe coming off the bench.

Frankly I love Partick Thistle. I don't tend to follow events elsewhere, though I used to watch FCB on the telly but you are just watching millionaires . Which is why I admire Alan Archibald. I had never heard of either Osman or Dumbaya before he signed them. Frankly they have both brought quality to the team. Hopefully Nesbitt lives up to his reputation, If he can attack a defence, rather than stopping on the edge of their penalty area and looking around as if the last third was an alien planet, then the boy will do good. Shame it's just a loan though. I tend to be mightily impressed with anyone who attacks a defence directly. Our last loan signing, the lad from DU, was an absolute gem of a player. And why I want Erskine back as soon as possible.

Slightly off topic, I am utterly delighted that we are signing up key players on longer term deals. There is, potentially, a great future for our club. I think we probably have the Weirs to thank for that.

Says the guy that looks nervously at our league position.

Edited by douglas clark

Can't believe the sheer ignorance of some people here. Claiming to be "distinctly underwhelmed" as if they are the oracles of world football and Archie hasn't met their standards of player recruitment. They've probably done little or no research about the 2 signings but assume that because they haven't heard of them that they aren't going to cut it. Had anyone here heard of Osman, Higgy, Dumbuya or even Callum Booth before we signed them?

Anyone who does even 2 minutes worth of research on this lad from Celtic will find out that he is one of the most highly rated youngsters to come through the ranks at Celtic for a long time. I've spoken to numerous Celtic fans who actually think he should be in their first team just now and are quite disappointed that they won't see him this season. There is absolutely no doubt, this is a great signing for us.

The fact that some people on here don't think so, based on all the evidence available, really does speak volumes about their judgement, their overall stupidity, and their ridiculous vendettas against the manager.

• Like 6

With the level that we (and most other SPL clubs) play at along with our small budget, there is always going to be an element of risk when it comes to signings.

We don't have the luxury of going and picking up other clubs best players for a fee so we have to cast our eye further and at times take a punt on players who have perhaps lost their way.

Up until now Archie has got more right than wrong, if he keeps that ratio up then I'll be happy.

For what it's worth, I think the Nesbitt signing could prove an excellent bit of business.

With Nesbitt and German signing, along with the return of Edwards, Fraser and Pogba our squad looks back to decent strength for the run in.

Personally I am buzzing at the signing of Nesbitt. Can score, create and evade a tackle. Obviously this has been done at Development league level and he won't have been up against as physically developed players as he'll face over the coming weeks.

However Ryan Gauld did well enough at this level and Nesbitt isn't far off him talent wise, indeed he could be better in some aspects of his game.

Good to read Archibald has stated he's been signed for the first team and not the development squad. He could be the missing part in our team, that creative force that links midfield to the front man and can help boost our goals for column till the end of the season.

Not seem much of The German and to a degree is a gamble but as said if he can chip in a couple of goals and set a few up he'll have contributed as much if not more than Stevo and Muirhead did this season.

Forza Thistle!

p.s. It would be nice to see them at Firhill before March ;)

A friend of mine works at the SFA and the first thing he said last night when I saw him was "you've just signed the best young player in Scotland".

There seems to be a little bit of disapproval at international level regarding Celtic's recruitment policy. Nesbitt and Patrick Roberts, who signed for Celtic yesterday from Man City, were both born on the same day and both were selected in the Under 17 "Team of the Tournament" at the recent European Championships - yet Celtic would rather develop an English player of alleged similar ability and style for another club than their own homegrown talent.

Always a little bit cautious of getting too enthusiastic about loanees, especially those arriving from either side of the Old Firm, but by all accounts, this boy is a player.

Can't believe the sheer ignorance of some people here. Claiming to be "distinctly underwhelmed" as if they are the oracles of world football and Archie hasn't met their standards of player recruitment. They've probably done little or no research about the 2 signings but assume that because they haven't heard of them that they aren't going to cut it. Had anyone here heard of Osman, Higgy, Dumbuya or even Callum Booth before we signed them?

Anyone who does even 2 minutes worth of research on this lad from Celtic will find out that he is one of the most highly rated youngsters to come through the ranks at Celtic for a long time. I've spoken to numerous Celtic fans who actually think he should be in their first team just now and are quite disappointed that they won't see him this season. There is absolutely no doubt, this is a great signing for us.

The fact that some people on here don't think so, based on all the evidence available, really does speak volumes about their judgement, their overall stupidity, and their ridiculous vendettas against the manager.

Spot on mate, afraid Archie has to work really hard to bring quality in and we are probably up against teams who can pay more for some of our targets hence many are left field signings...for what its worth, Higgy and Booth I was well aware of (Booth always impressed me when we played Livi when he was loaned there, especially going forward) but Osman, Dumbuya I had no idea about....here's hoping the latest additions make an impact. Excited about the boy from Celtic.

I think some people watch a wee bit too much Jim White around this time of yr and expect us to bring in household names all over the shop...

I am sure if there are unattached players around now the window has shut, Archie will bring them in if he thinks they can add to the group.

I trust Archie and think there is now real competition in the attacking positions. Personally, from what I have heard, Nesbitt especially could be a super signing.

I know all the arguments about developing an old firm player rather than our own. But we have none ready yet. Personally I would rather see 5 months of a supremely gifted kid even if from Celtic than 5 more months of a washed up overweight talent of yesteryear. And in that regard alone, this has been a successful window.

I too am looking forward to seeing Nesbitt. Of course it's not without risk but as KK and others have pointed out that's just the nature of the beast. A lot will naturally lie with both the attitude and aptitude of the lad himself and I mean that not necessarily in the Paul Slane/Darren Cole negative way. He'll be going from being the star of the show in a mostly winning environment into something completely different. That's a far cry from making the odd cameo appearance in games more or less already won had he not gone out on loan.

Hopefully Aidan can adapt to being thrown in at the deep end so to speak as he inevitably will be. As yet that may be foreign to him, which is only natural. Therein lies the risk but to repeat at our level and status that's just something we have to live with.

That was a good Window for us. We were looking to strengthen the squad with replacements for Stevenson and Muirhead - two players who didn't feature in the first team that often - and we've brought in two players who'll do exactly that. In Nesbitt, we may even have a gem who'll give us the attacking midfield option we've been looking for. And if it turns out he's only a squad player and not a first team 'star', so what? We've not weakened the team in any way and, just as importantly, Bannigan, Osman and Lawless are all still with us until the end of the season. Result. Yes, it would have been nice to see Erskine back this month, but it was too big a risk to give up Lawless to make that happen. I'm not the wee man's biggest fan, but he's a first team regular and making his contribution - Erskine would have taken time to get up to speed.

And, based on nothing more than a feeling in my water, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still see another player coming in this week or next. There's a few good players still looking for a club.

(And as for those posters who are underwhelmed - wait and see. But can we now all agree that The Cup is a trolling Clyde fan?)

• Like 1

it is foolhardy to make judgements on signings before they have even you have saw them. However I am disappointed by only two new additions. Lack of money will be the reason for this as I am sure Archie would have wanted one or two more.

Does not take a genius to work out that goal scoring is a big issue for us. Got to hope that the two we did bring in will help.

Also a big worry is any injury to Cerny, Seaborne, or Osman could be a disister. I hope that there is still money to spend and we are looking at out of contract player. I know you could say this about any team but I feel we are particularly ill prepared to cope without any that I mentioned.

Don't understand the criticism of Celtic. Deila clearly feels he is not ready for the celtic team so its far better for him to be playing at this level gaining vital experience. This is a good move for Nesbitt.

I wish we would put out more players on loan - Archie clearly feels he doesn't have the squad size to do this but it will hamper the development of players. Archie has said as much before.