Osman

jaf

Have to agree with Ian Mac, I remember being gutted that we didn't re_sign Isaac Osbourne, then Archie pulls one out of the hat and brings in Osman and the first time they went ahead to head Abdul bossed it.

Archie is the most important cog in the Thistle wheel and as long as he is leading us we shouldn't worry too much about players coming or going.

• Like 3

Sorry. This is not language I would normally use. I defaulted into the vocabulary of others as the guy who sent me the text message sent a message saying exactly that and I just repeated it. The excitement of having "breaking news" clearly got the better of me!

What a fool. It's almost as if I hadn't done that sixth year studies English year!

The reality is that even a poor gate for Dundee is double what our average crowd is. There last game against Dundee United had over 11000 there. Our smaller home gates means we will struggle to compete for players with them

The reality is they spend money they don't have and we don't

• Like 1

The reality is they spend money they don't have and we don't

They've certainly done that in the past - in spades as 2 adminstrations show - but they've lived within their means in recent times. It just is a fact that when they are doing well they have a comfortably bigger support we have when we are doing OK. Being a Glasgow club in the world of live tv for old firm games (and EPL games) really holds us back.

I should aded though that though a few clubs around about us have better home support, in most cases it's not a massively bigger. That is if we have a key player like Osman we could offer him better than usual pay and consitions. If the likes of Dundee outbid us they would have less money to spend on other parts of their team. Teams like Hearts, Aberdeen we couldn't do anything about but we ought to be able to hold onto some of our players. Of course that means we can't help losing some others.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

Archie is the most important cog in the Thistle wheel and as long as he is leading us we shouldn't worry too much about players coming or going.

Wisest and most succinct comment I've read about Thistle. It's Archie's replacement when he goes (and he will soon) that will be the biggest deal. It's all about managers when you have leagues where almost anybody can beat anybody, based in quality levels.

• Like 2

Just on the specific of Osman and assuming this is gospel. Dundee might be offering an extended contract, something that Archie might not be keen on offering to a player who'll be into his thirties when concluded. With our relatively limited budget I would be happier to see any longer contracts going to players who may have their best years ahead of them. Players that could command a respectable transfer fee based on potential.

Just on the specific of Osman and assuming this is gospel. Dundee might be offering an extended contract, something that Archie might not be keen on offering to a player who'll be into his thirties when concluded. With our relatively limited budget I would be happier to see any longer contracts going to players who may have their best years ahead of them. Players that could command a respectable transfer fee based on potential.

Perhaps so, but you still need some relative experience in the team. Osman deserves a 2 (or 3 yr deal) & if we can be competitive in terms of wages, I'd certainly push the boat out for him. Not a flashy player but without him, we would certainly ship alot more goals.

I remember doom and gloom when Paton left us. We got Osbourne

I remember doom and gloom when Osbourne left us. We got Osman

Players go and new ones come in. Archie has a good history of filling the gaps, so if Osman goes to better himself, good on him and bring on the next Jags hero.

Aye, Archie has been great at pulling rabbits out the hat, but my concern is that one day he'll simply run out of bunnies. Losing Osman to Dundee would be slightly less depressing than losing him to Caley.