The Colin Weir Stand

Fawlty Towers

Good gesture by the club. The Weirs have been brilliant for Thistle. Really impressed how they have handled their big win, they could have chucked millions at Thistle but instead did the boring best thing by putting their money into the youth set-up.

• Like 2

The home dressing room should be named in honour of Ricky and Chico.

:thumbsup2:

....another one here for The Davie McParland Stand. There's been a few others extremely deserving of the honour but when I weigh it up Davie's contribution has been the greatest. Besides I feel we owe him after the way he left the Club.

• Like 2

:thumbsup2: ....another one here for The Davie McParland Stand. There's been a few others extremely deserving of the honour but when I weigh it up Davie's contribution has been the greatest. Besides I feel we owe him after the way he left the Club.

and another...

Our generous benefactors are on record as saying -

"On winning the lottery almost three years ago, we made a decision not to speak publicly about any aspect of our lives. We are not celebrities, nor ­politicians, nor public figures. We try to live quiet, decent lives just as we did before."

Perhaps the club will show greater empathy with the Weirs' sentiments, avoid putting them in awkward positions and not proceed with any further ostentatious acts of gratitude to draw these good people into the public eye.

I also have reservations with the club for the misappropriation of the word "patron" and asserting it as a special title or elevated position. While the Weirs can be addressed as "patrons" and their contributions, for which I am sure we are all supremely grateful, maybe exceptional in their size and significant in what they facilitate, the lesser contributions of many fans may be no less a sacrifice to them and should entitle them to similar respect and gratitude. I have little doubt that Mr. Weir himself would be more comfortable known as a "fan" rather than "patron", and one who like many others have given and paid considerable portions of their own personal "fortunes" to the jags cause. Furthermore, I suspect, despite the phenomenal proportion of his gift, he may feel some embarrassment at the suggestion he is the "first ever" to have generously donated to, or for that matter, been a customer of the club.

No jealousy of those who can afford a season ticket, just a word of warning not to disrespect the PATG punters.

:rolleyes:

And of course the elephant in the room .... the Weirs' well known political persuasion, the SNP and Scottish independence. Not a problem to us... come on in, what ye drinking? You buying? triffic!! I'll have a pint, thanks. Make yersel at home, I'll grab ye a cushion and you put yer feet up. Put on yer jags scarf, relax and watch the game..... Sign the guest book.... ,muckin in and helping with the clear up is grand.... just not so sure if carving your name in the table is a good idea even if the current boss told you to do it (he's having a rerr terr on your tab and might be a bit pissed). We've a got a reputation to keep..... Here, have ye met ma pal, he's a disgruntled unionist, but he's been comin to Firhill for about 30 year, ....mon i'll introduce yeez....

:fan: :fan: :fan: :fan:

"On winning the lottery almost three years ago, we made a decision not to speak publicly about any aspect of our lives. We are not celebrities, nor ­politicians, nor public figures. We try to live quiet, decent lives just as we did before."

Perhaps the club will show greater empathy with the Weirs' sentiments, avoid putting them in awkward positions and not proceed with any further ostentatious acts of gratitude to draw these good people into the public eye.

I also have reservations with the club for the misappropriation of the word "patron" and asserting it as a special title or elevated position. While the Weirs can be addressed as "patrons" and their contributions, for which I am sure we are all supremely grateful, maybe exceptional in their size and significant in what they facilitate, the lesser contributions of many fans may be no less a sacrifice to them and should entitle them to similar respect and gratitude. I have little doubt that Mr. Weir himself would be more comfortable known as a "fan" rather than "patron", and one who like many others have given and paid considerable portions of their own personal "fortunes" to the jags cause. Furthermore, I suspect, despite the phenomenal proportion of his gift, he may feel some embarrassment at the suggestion he is the "first ever" to have generously donated to, or for that matter, been a customer of the club.

No jealousy of those who can afford a season ticket, just a word of warning not to disrespect the PATG punters.

And of course the elephant in the room .... the Weirs' well known political persuasion, the SNP and Scottish independence. Not a problem to us... come on in, what ye drinking? You buying? triffic!! I'll have a pint, thanks. Make yersel at home, I'll grab ye a cushion and you put yer feet up. Put on yer jags scarf, relax and watch the game..... Sign the guest book.... ,muckin in and helping with the clear up is grand.... just not so sure if carving your name in the table is a good idea even if the current boss told you to do it (he's having a rerr terr on your tab and might be a bit pissed). We've a got a reputation to keep..... Here, have ye met ma pal, he's a disgruntled unionist, but he's been comin to Firhill for about 30 year, ....mon i'll introduce yeez....

Don't understand the need to bring politics into it,poor show.

• Like 1

You've totally lost me here.

Edited by Vaila Street

Now would be a good time to remember that Jimmy Gibson’s transfer money paid for the auld stand away back in the 1920s, a deal which was brokered by the father of Firhill, George Easton, a man who devoted almost all of his adult life to the Jags cause.

I’m sure Mr Weir will understand when I win the lottery, thank him for his valued support, return his cash to him, and re-name her more worthily, the George Easton Stand.

Still, in the meantime, at least we’re no’ the Tony Macaroni Arena, eh?

would be nice in some way if the club could commemorate George Easton. Though the great mans long gone I'm sure he will have relations somewhere at the very least George deserves inducted in the hall of fame

I'm sure the club consulted the Weirs PR representative prior to putting them in an "awkward position". She does sit on our board, after all.

As for the rest of your post...absolute drivel.

• Like 1

I'm sure the club consulted the Weirs PR representative prior to putting them in an "awkward position". She does sit on our board, after all.

As for the rest of your post...absolute drivel.

Correct....he seemed genuinely taken aback by the gesture

Btw the poll on the forum on independence was 70 for yes

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I agree Kenny - not sure at all about this at all.

Delighted for the club that the Weirs are on board and actively promoting/investing/funding the youth set up (crucial for a club like PTFC to have a viable youth set-up) amongst other activities - but have always been a bit cynical about philanthropy whereby the burgeoning publicity of those donating to good causes is directly proportional to the quantity of money donated.

It's all rather ostentatious and un-jags like or is it just me who thinks that?

However if it has been club led then I would have to suggest that my first impression today is that it is misguided - for example how many other clubs honour one of their benefactors with the naming of a stand? Should the naming of structures not be the preserve of long standing servants of the club who have done their business on the park? May I also suggest that perhaps they should have spent more than forty quid on the signage.

• Like 1

I am all for The Davie McParland Stand.

He was my first Firhill hero & in the olden days before substitutes I remember him taking over in goal .

A true Firhill legend & gentleman .

He took over in goals with 10 mins to go when Niven was injured in a 3-2 win v St Johnstone in Perth, 21 March 1964.

In the days when the number on your shirt actually meant where you were playing, his appearances were:-

s....5

He took over in goals with 10 mins to go when Niven was injured in a 3-2 win v St Johnstone in Perth, 21 March 1964.

In the days when the number on your shirt actually meant where you were playing, his appearances were:-

s....5

Interesting that the great man never played as a full back.

Belief has nowt to do with it.

You suggested a negotiation. 2 sides. PR with foot in both sides. Conflict of interest.

Did I, aye?

Colin and his wife are ordinary people who won a life changing amount of money. It stands to reason that they will have people to represent their interests. And by that I mean the money they have gifted to various organisations rather than their profile.

I don't think for one second that they're on an ego trip. But I do think the board would have asked their rep whether she thought it an appropriate gesture.

No conflict. No conspiracy. Just two folk who have generously backed the club. They're hardly Mileson or Melville types.

• Like 4

Perhaps the club will show greater empathy with the Weirs' sentiments, avoid putting them in awkward positions and not proceed with any further ostentatious acts of gratitude to draw these good people into the public eye. I also have reservations with the club for the misappropriation of the word "patron" and asserting it as a special title or elevated position. While the Weirs can be addressed as "patrons" and their contributions, for which I am sure we are all supremely grateful, maybe exceptional in their size and significant in what they facilitate, the lesser contributions of many fans may be no less a sacrifice to them and should entitle them to similar respect and gratitude. I have little doubt that Mr. Weir himself would be more comfortable known as a "fan" rather than "patron", and one who like many others have given and paid considerable portions of their own personal "fortunes" to the jags cause. Furthermore, I suspect, despite the phenomenal proportion of his gift, he may feel some embarrassment at the suggestion he is the "first ever" to have generously donated to, or for that matter, been a customer of the club. No jealousy of those who can afford a season ticket, just a word of warning not to disrespect the PATG punters. :rolleyes: And of course the elephant in the room .... the Weirs' well known political persuasion, the SNP and Scottish independence. Not a problem to us... come on in, what ye drinking? You buying? triffic!! I'll have a pint, thanks. Make yersel at home, I'll grab ye a cushion and you put yer feet up. Put on yer jags scarf, relax and watch the game..... Sign the guest book.... ,muckin in and helping with the clear up is grand.... just not so sure if carving your name in the table is a good idea even if the current boss told you to do it (he's having a rerr terr on your tab and might be a bit pissed). We've a got a reputation to keep..... Here, have ye met ma pal, he's a disgruntled unionist, but he's been comin to Firhill for about 30 year, ....mon i'll introduce yeez.... :fan: :fan: :fan: :fan:

U wot m8?

Did I, aye?

Colin and his wife are ordinary people who won a life changing amount of money. It stands to reason that they will have people to represent their interests. And by that I mean the money they have gifted to various organisations rather than their profile.

I don't think for one second that they're on an ego trip. But I do think the board would have asked their rep whether she thought it an appropriate gesture.

No conflict. No conspiracy. Just two folk who have generously backed the club. They're hardly Mileson or Melville types.

I have not suggested the Weirs are on an "ego trip" . I provided a quote from them, and offered opinion suggesting quite the opposite.

My criticism is of the club offering by way of thanks, a gesture which inherently and demonstrably puts the Weirs in the public eye. My criticism has not been of the Weirs', (whom I described as "good people") acceptance of it which I suggest could possibly be a little awkward not to do.

The conflict of interest is that while Partick Thistle quite reasonably might want to be seen as a grateful club, the Weirs have said very reasonably stated intent that, "We are not celebrities, nor ­politicians, nor public figures.".

There is a conflict for anybody representing on one side public promotion and on the other discretion.

I am not suggesting any sort of conspiracy. Nor am I suggesting any evil intent or unlawful intention or practice.

Possible oversight... yes. Poor judgement... that is of course a matter of opinion.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz