The Pogbas

a f kincaid

What an amazing weekend is in store for the Pogba family! Mum and dad must be rightly proud. One brother has the opportunity, with the world's press watching, to win over any remaining doubters by scoring against class opposition and realise his earnings potential through a world record transfer fee. The other brother is playing in the Euro Cup final on Sunday.

• Like 2

Mention of Paul and Matthias Pogba makes me wonder if there has ever been such a disparity between 2 brothers who are both professional footballers or indeed competitors in any field of sporting endeavour. We have a world class star playing for Juventus and representing France in the top echelons of European club and international football, and in contrast a total journeyman struggling to hold down a starting place, or even to get off the bench, in a team in the lower section of a somewhat inferior league.

I have been pondering other pairs of brothers and while there may be some difference in attainment, in general they have been at a comparable level. For example Darren & Derek Young were both reasonable journeymen plying their respective trades in the upper/middle reaches of Scottish football while Tommy & Willie Callaghan were both rather less talented journeyman playing at a lower level. I will give below various other pairs of sporting brothers, putting the more famous one first, In some cases indeed which of the brothers was more talented or successful would be open to debate, but in all cases I would submit that both brothers belonged together on the same pitch and there is not a yawning gulf between them. Can anyone tell me of any other journeyman professional with a famous brother? Was there a Cecil Shearer who played for Stenhousemuir or a Wolfgang Beckenbauer at Arbroath or Harry Gullit turning out for Hartlepool?

Frank & Ronald de Boer

Barry & Derek Ferguson

Alan & John Hansen

Gary & Phil Neville

Alastair & Jonny Brownlee

Finlay & Jim Calder

Gavin & Scott Hastings

Andy & Jamie Murray

There are many I would imagine, a few I can think of are

Ronnie & Tony Glavin

Paul & Willie McStay

Chris & John Sutton

Ronnie & Donnie McKinnon

Tommy & John Craig

Not a huge gulf, but the first named did play at higher levels or had more success and were all capped (I think)

Edited by jaggy

There is also Jerome Boeteng who was at the Euros with Germany and Kevin-Prince Boeteng who played for Ghana. They even played against each other at the 2010 World Cup.

Staying on a World Cup theme - Bobby and Jack Charlton

A bit more up to date, there's Taulant and Granit Xhaka of Albania and Switzerland.