Dundee United Betfred Cup

MonehJags

Hoping this is a wake up we may have needed, that we're not quite where we should be. Can't say i'm disappointed to be out of the league cup as I just don't care about it, would happily see it removed from Scottish football. So i'm glad more focus will go on the league. But, losing 3-1 to a team a division below in the manner which we did isn't acceptable and the most disappointing thing about it.

• Like 1

Just watched the "lowlights" again after having been at the match and it was worse even than I had thought at the time.

We were truly poor the first half hour but everything, but everything, fell to United. Bounces off our players, rebounds let them in on goal.

The first goal was horrific with Dools passing straight to one of theirs in a dangerous area and it was compounded by, I think, Syme getting on the wrong side of the United player. Yup! A young player!

They closed us down admittedly but have you EVER seen such weak efforts to hold on to the ball/ ward off a tackle in your life?

And then Dools again in the second half losing the ball in the last third before Ryan had his best of what were multiple saves.

Please don't blame our goalie. He was our best player by far.

We will get better and come through it.

• Like 1

Clearly you weren't at the game or you would have seen Ryan pull off a couple of top class saves.

As I bust a gut getting to and from this game it was particularly disappointing that the team failed to put in a shift until the second half

but with the number of injured players we had out I felt we were always going to struggle.

Ryan Scully saved us from a real skelping.

Woeful from Thistle last night, well and truly hounded in the first half by a United team set up to exploit our defensive frailties. It could have been more than three at half time and I wouldn't have had many complaints.

Utterly failed to win any second ball in the middle of the park for long periods which resulted in undergoing sustained pressure that an already shaky defence couldn't endure. Osman offered very little protection to a makeshift defensive pairing in the first half and I thought Syme was badly exposed at full back, a position I think it's fair to say he won't be challenging for in the first team any time soon.

I'm yet to be convinced of the effectiveness of this new tactic that we appear to have developed where the centre halves, be it Devine, Ziggy or on Saturday, Lindsay, are permitted to lump long (often aimless) diagonals up the pitch in the hope of working off a second ball. It's especially useless when the target of these punts is Lawless.

I have no idea whether Scully was at fault for any of the goals but it can't be disputed that he has a horrible habit of holding the jersey when we ship goals. Firmly in the Jamie MacDonald school of goalkeeping whereby you only mention the fact he had a good game after he's let numerous goals in. The importance of Cerny was again highlighted in terms of ability but more the confidence he instils in the defence.

Credit to United, I thought they played a very good game in the first half and looked well drilled in how to expose us especially in behind our full backs. We never got to grips with them in midfield all night.

It was also a pretty embarrassing night off the field for Thistle with a few folk making utter fools of themselves.

Plus points were Osman got 90 minutes under his belt, however torrid the first 45 of them were, and it underlined the fact that Ziggy is a far more capable full back than centre half, a position that we'll hopefully have added to come our next game.

It's a diddy cup anyway...

• Like 1

Looking back on last night the first goal just about summed up the whole evening. Doolan, usually a most accurate short to medium range passer of the ball, misplaces a pass around the halfway line. From that error the ensuing attack would normally have been dealt with by Osman, Welsh or a possibly a centreback. We might even have got away with a clean tackle but the worst would've been a booking and foul, given away in a not too dangerous area.

Instead one poor pass halfway up the pitch effectively wrong foots half the team leading to backing off and chaotic defending. The whole first half was punctuated in a similar vein. Couldn't string two or three passes together when going forward. Lose the ball in attack and cue the Grant Murray impersonations.

Like other's I can't believe the abuse Scully was getting, made several terrific saves , the first two goals came from cheap mistakes and Ryan had no chance, also looked as if he was carrying an injury for most of the second half he was clutching his side.

The only criticism I would make is him punching the ball clear when he would have been better holding it.

Clearly you weren't at the game or you would have seen Ryan pull off a couple of top class saves.

As I bust a gut getting to and from this game it was particularly disappointing that the team failed to put in a shift until the second half

but with the number of injured players we had out I felt we were always going to struggle.

Ryan Scully saved us from a real skelping.

Were we really missing a lot of starters.

Cerny - Yes. However, would he have been able to save the goals

Dumbuya - I am not sure that he will displace Gordon

Lindsay - Yes. But a lot of jags fans don't think he is up to the mark

Bannigan - Definitely

There is no one else missing that would definitely start

Next game not till a week on Saturday so it could influence team selection. Could be Osman requires game time and not resting, Graemei?

Just saw this, yeah maybe based on that performance game time is needed. That's nothing against Osman, he's just back from injury and a new back line. Period of adjustment.

I wasn't there so can't comment on the game. All I will say is I know it's annoying when we are beaten, but it's extra annoying to hear when we are beaten in terms of sheer effort. Some games it just doesn't come off, but the guys should be making sure nobody could fault their effort. We will need to grind out games more often than win them playing silky football this season.

Do tell........

I presume you missed the cretin who managed to make his way to the dugout to throw a scarf at the bench?

And some shrieking female shouting incessant tactical instructions to Archie.

And the general behaviour of that heed-the-baw who sells that SITB drivel.

Grasping here, but it's probably a good thing this has happened so early in the season. Archie will have to look and learn from the tactics and formation he used and the performances of some individuals in the positions they were played in.

Listening to the Audio it reminded me of the Falkirk cup game at Firhill a couple of seasons ago which was one of or worst performance under Archie. I think we turned it around quite quickly after that .

Still need a couple of new bodies in.

• Like 1

Last night was a disgraceful performance from the team. From the first minute Dundee Utd looked hungrier and wanted it a lot more. Sometimes these results do happen but as soon as the first went in the team downed tools and I think that's what was most disappointing.

I don't rate Scully at all and on the way up when I saw he was in goals I said to my mate that we would need to score 3 to win as with him in goals it's like a 2 goal handicap to the other team. However he was probably the best thistle player and I don't think he can be at fault for the goals. He pulled off some great saves in the second half and saved us from a 5 or 6 goal defeat.

The midfield of osman and Welsh were non existent. That was probably osmans worse performance in a thistle jersey and hopefully can be blamed on just coming back from injury and being unfit.

Taking off amoo was a strange one as he was the only player to be getting forward and trying to get balls into the box. I felt lawless should have been hooked as especially in the first half he didn't get near the ball.

I don't think syme will be getting near the first team anytime soon. He looked unfit and overweight and clearly not good enough for the first team yet.

I think it's good we don't have a game this week as it will hopefully get Archie in a centre back and if we were playing Celtic and took another pumping the confidence would go through the floor. The worry is if we play like that against a good side it will easily be a 5 or 6 goal defeat. Hopefully Archie can sort it out and the team are suitably embarrassed to not let that happen again.

Shocking! Lawless and Doolan should have been hooked very early. These are 2 of my favourite players but they were swatted aside like precious dragon flies. Stevie started showing something later but it was too late by then. A hard kick up the Khyber for him please Archie

Felt sorry for Amoo but I don't think it was a reflection of his performance, more a change in shape. He had a great run and cut back which Erskine should have buried at 0-1.

Lay off Scully please. He saved us from complete embarrassment. Our best player by a long distance on the night.

Osman is not fit. So he should not be playing.

I don't think syme will be getting near the first team anytime soon. He looked unfit and overweight and clearly not good enough for the first team yet.

I think it's good we don't have a game this week as it will hopefully get Archie in a centre back and if we were playing Celtic and took another pumping the confidence would go through the floor. The worry is if we play like that against a good side it will easily be a 5 or 6 goal defeat. Hopefully Archie can sort it out and the team are suitably embarrassed to not let that happen again.

I've seen Syme in friendlies and in competitive games and I wouldn't think there's fitness issues. His preferred position is centreback and Archie obviously can't think he's quite ready for that position. Otherwise he wouldn't have moved Gordon inside. Agree tho' he's not ready for regular first team inclusion.

Definitely agree playing like last night we could easily be in for a 5 or 6 goal hammering from a top team. In a perverse way getting well beaten last night might not be too much a bad thing. We could've played as we've been playing, hit the woodwork a few times and lost out to a freak goal. We'd still be out the cup. Going out as we did means we have to address our weaknesses. Perhaps put our positive results into perspective. Wins against QoS and Queens Pk were far from convincing and even Saturday's win wasn't exactly underlined after ICT's performance last night.

The GK is a part of the defensive unit and the unit takes collective responsibility.

Of the last 7 games he's featured in, we've conceded 15 goals.

Really disappointing. Search for a CB must step up. And we need a decent back up keeper. I appreciate the comments about Scully making saves in 2nd half, but he'd already conceded 3. When did he last have a clean sheet?

As for the rest of the team. Best to get that performance out the way early doors in the season.

This was Ryan's first game of the season, playing behind a defensive unit which contained only one player he's played with before in a competitive fixture.

In the 6 games he played in at the end of last season, he played behind 6 different defensive combinations, the last two of which had a 17 year old making his first team debut at left back.

Having lost Gallacher to Hearts, Archie clearly recognises that, at just approaching 24, Ryan is still improving as a goalie and experienced back up is required. That was what he tried to do at the start of the season and in 2 of the 3 games Crawford started it was Cerny who was on the bench, not Ryan. When Tam took the gloves for the first time this season it was Crawford who was picked as sub goalie.

Ryan needs games. Playing behind a settled defensive unit he could possibly build a more confident relationship and understanding. In his two seasons at Dunfermline he was able to do that to a reported competent level of success. Granted that was at a lower level, but in all fairness, despite being given the the Jags first team jersey several times now, it has not been our first team he has always come into.

Ryan deserves our continued support and encouragement.

• Like 2

This was Ryan's first game of the season, playing behind a defensive unit which contained only one player he's played with before in a competitive fixture.

In the 6 games he played in at the end of last season, he played behind 6 different defensive combinations, the last two of which had a 17 year old making his first team debut at left back.

Having lost Gallacher to Hearts, Archie clearly recognises that, at just approaching 24, Ryan is still improving as a goalie and experienced back up is required. That was what he tried to do at the start of the season and in 2 of the 3 games Crawford started it was Cerny who was on the bench, not Ryan. When Tam took the gloves for the first time this season it was Crawford who was picked as sub goalie.

Ryan needs games. Playing behind a settled defensive unit he could possibly build a more confident relationship and understanding. In his two seasons at Dunfermline he was able to do that to a reported competent level of success. Granted that was at a lower level, but in all fairness, despite being given the the Jags first team jersey several times now, it has not been our first team he has always come into.

Ryan deserves our continued support and encouragement.

And just as you rightly advocate for Ryan, you are due continued support and encouragement for the most reasoned and legible post that you have made on this forum.

For once, I agree with every word of what you posted above.

:D

Well done sir!!

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

Wasn't there but the first thing that stood out on watching the highlights is DU took kickoff which means we won the choice of ends which means we chose to face directly into a low setting sun for the first half.

Even only playing at amateur level in Scotland taught me that if there's a weather advantage to be had, take it in the first half, it's Scotland and the weather can change by half time!

Other than that, garbage. Hopefully just the cliched bad day at the office.

Some of the comments here are beyond ridiculous. "Disgraceful " and " hang their heads in shame". Are we suggesting that guys like Erskine and Doolan don't care or don't try ? Some days things don't go your way.

Getting beat - no trounced - by Dundee United, a Championship team - requires serious scrutiny and analysis. This is the same club that was bottom of the league when they ended our interest in the Scottish Cup last season.

Once might have been considered as unlucky - but two in six months cannot be anything other than unacceptable.

Nothing wrong or ridiculous with that.

• Like 1