Dundee United Betfred Cup

MonehJags

1. We shouldn't panic. I have seen it all before.

2. Jags legends are not beyond criticism or a kicking from the manager.

3. I suspect 1 or 2 posters don't don't appreciate just how bad we were.it could have been 7-0 but for Scully and bad finishing.

4. Trust Archie to sort it out and move on.

Getting beat - no trounced - by Dundee United, a Championship team - requires serious scrutiny and analysis. This is the same club that was bottom of the league when they ended our interest in the Scottish Cup last season.

Once might have been considered as unlucky - but two in six months cannot be anything other than unacceptable.

Nothing wrong or ridiculous with that.

Think the point CJ is making is that certain comments re last night are way OTT. I agree that failure last night and continuing failure in Cup competitions is worthy of "serious scrutiny and analysis". I'd suggest tho' that OTT expressions are not really conducive to "serious scrutiny and analysis"

Think the point CJ is making is that certain comments re last night are way OTT. I agree that failure last night and continuing failure in Cup competitions is worthy of "serious scrutiny and analysis". I'd suggest tho' that OTT expressions are not really conducive to "serious scrutiny and analysis"

My point is about the results m'lady.

Actually, as things stand, the only thing that Archie has to do to banish the ghost of Lambie once and for all is a semi or a final in a major cup. He's proved himself in the top league already.

This is Thistle, why all the moans. Every year its the same old tired Thistle, no skill, no flair, no style. Is it any wonder we struggle to reach the 2000 mark at home. If you weren't a season ticket holder you wouldn't go, Why? because nothing ever changes. We haven't survived in the top league by playing good football, no, its because all the other teams below us are even worse. In the old days you would hear the something like " his second touch is a tackle" for Azeez that's simply not true because the boy doesn't even have a first touch. Pogba??????, The boy is only on the pitch as the comedy relief, the big cuddly carthorse that everybody loves, unfortunately its football he is supposed to be playing, not giving us all a laugh, Pogba for Nesbit, dear me. The big bonner got it spot on, unless there are other teams without ambition out there, its going to be yet another long drawn out season. Mon the... awe F#@kit.

1. We shouldn't panic. I have seen it all before.

2. Jags legends are not beyond criticism or a kicking from the manager.

3. I suspect 1 or 2 posters don't don't appreciate just how bad we were.it could have been 7-0 but for Scully and bad finishing.

4. Trust Archie to sort it out and move on.

Did Super Scully win and score the penalty as well?

I dont understand why our defence back off and back off allowing them to run into the box from the hauf way line. Its been a constant theme for a while and ultimately when a team sets up to do that against us we lose heavily. The inverness game was the same although their finishing was poor. Dundee last season, i remember Stewart ran from inside his own hauf, unchallenged to the edge of our box and that wis game over. Its something we need to cut out ASAP, its blatantly clear this is our weakness but its ever been addressed.

• Like 1

Think there are posters on here who were never at the game, the team was absolutely dreadful from start to finish, they didn't look motivated at all, never pressed the game and the Dundee United team looked hungrier for the result .

Not sure why Archie set up the team the way he did , keep Syme in his natural position at centre half and Ziggy at full back.

When we changed it after we were 3 nil down why was Amoo taken off and not Lawless ? , would rather have had Amoos power and pace on the park . What is abundantly clear is the 3 players that didn't resign Seabourne , Franz and Gary Miller haven't been replaced with a similar standard and that's one of the reasons we struggled. It is wrong to scapegoat Ryan Scully , apart from the 3rd goal when he should have pushed the ball to the side when he saved the initial shot , the rest of the game he was exposed time after time and he saved us from a 6 or 7 goal defeat.

• Like 1

I dont understand why our defence back off and back off allowing them to run into the box from the hauf way line. Its been a constant theme for a while and ultimately when a team sets up to do that against us we lose heavily. The inverness game was the same although their finishing was poor. Dundee last season, i remember Stewart ran from inside his own hauf, unchallenged to the edge of our box and that wis game over. Its something we need to cut out ASAP, its blatantly clear this is our weakness but its ever been addressed.

I completely agree, when we are quick to get to opposing players and give them as little space as possible, that's when we are at our strongest defensively and usually leads to breaking out from the back more often. I've seen this happen last season, probably only a handful of times. Usually when it happens we win comfortably, I can't understand why we aren't doing this more. Maybe it's a tactical thing on our part.

Two things I moaned about last season was this and our corner taking ability.

What is abundantly clear is the 3 players that didn't resign Seabourne , Franz and Gary Miller haven't been replaced with a similar standard and that's one of the reasons we struggled.

I'd say Miller has been replaced and Gordon is potentially an upgrade. Danny Devine could be as good a player as Frans.

The main issue is that we haven't replaced Seaborne. We need a big, physical centre half, and I'm sure Archie will sign one within the next fortnight or so.

• Like 1

This is Thistle, why all the moans. Every year its the same old tired Thistle, no skill, no flair, no style. Is it any wonder we struggle to reach the 2000 mark at home. If you weren't a season ticket holder you wouldn't go, Why? because nothing ever changes. We haven't survived in the top league by playing good football, no, its because all the other teams below us are even worse. In the old days you would hear the something like " his second touch is a tackle" for Azeez that's simply not true because the boy doesn't even have a first touch. Pogba??????, The boy is only on the pitch as the comedy relief, the big cuddly carthorse that everybody loves, unfortunately its football he is supposed to be playing, not giving us all a laugh, Pogba for Nesbit, dear me. The big bonner got it spot on, unless there are other teams without ambition out there, its going to be yet another long drawn out season. Mon the... awe F#@kit.

Isn't that how league tables work?

You know the best team finishes top and those that are worse than them finish below them.

Now the dust has settled on the game...it was such a poor performance from the whole team (with a few exceptions), that either 1. The team couldn't be arsed and didn't bother trying or 2. It was just one of those nights which for some reason ends in a bit of a catastrophe. Football isn't a science-it's a game played by humans and sometimes it goes a bit shit. We've been here many times before and will be again. I refuse to believe that people like Doolan and Erskine, for example, can have their performance explained by 1. They're not those kinds of players-nor, I would argue, are most of the current team. It was pish, we learn and move on. In a few weeks,after a good 3-0 victory, we'll be singing again.

• Like 1

The good news for our chances is that it looks as if Magennis (Killie) and Stewart (Dundee) will both be moving on. That can't harm our chances.

Edit to add 1. Looks like Stewart has turned down Birmingham.

Edit to add 2. Peterhead (H), QotS (H). Is there a reason why we don't get draws like this ? Must be just the luck of the draw

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Now the dust has settled on the game...it was such a poor performance from the whole team (with a few exceptions), that either 1. The team couldn't be arsed and didn't bother trying or 2. It was just one of those nights which for some reason ends in a bit of a catastrophe. Football isn't a science-it's a game played by humans and sometimes it goes a bit shit. We've been here many times before and will be again. I refuse to believe that people like Doolan and Erskine, for example, can have their performance explained by 1. They're not those kinds of players-nor, I would argue, are most of the current team. It was pish, we learn and move on. In a few weeks,after a good 3-0 victory, we'll be singing again.

A 3-0 victory over Hearts (who St Johnstone have proved are beatable) would do just fine....

I dont understand why our defence back off and back off allowing them to run into the box from the hauf way line.

They shouldn't but I'd venture to say it was prompted by a lack of organisation. How that came about when we've currently looked well organised could be down to three of the back four playing out of position and all four playing alongside one player they've been unaccustomed to playing beside. Factor in a captain who was clearly off the pace, maybe more concerned with his own performance, and a goalie not exactly noted for his vocal instructions.

That of course is sheer conjecture and if true no excuse as they should have got that dealt with in training.

I'd say Miller has been replaced and Gordon is potentially an upgrade. Danny Devine could be as good a player as Frans.

The main issue is that we haven't replaced Seaborne. We need a big, physical centre half, and I'm sure Archie will sign one within the next fortnight or so.

I'm sure Ziggy Gordon was brought in to replace Dumbuya at right back , but going on what I saw on Tuesday night ( albeit only one game) Ziggy is never a centre half , whereas Miller played well as a right sided centre back especially at the latter end of last season. The jury is still out on Danny Devine , hopefully he'll improve with time.

The players in Central Defence last season were all seasoned pros Seabourne 29yrs , Freddie Franz 27 yrs and Gary Miller 29 yrs , hopefully Archie has got something up his sleeve or it's going to be a long season .

I'm sure Ziggy Gordon was brought in to replace Dumbuya at right back , but going on what I saw on Tuesday night ( albeit only one game) Ziggy is never a centre half , whereas Miller played well as a right sided centre back especially at the latter end of last season. The jury is still out on Danny Devine , hopefully he'll improve with time.

The players in Central Defence last season were all seasoned pros Seabourne 29yrs , Freddie Franz 27 yrs and Gary Miller 29 yrs , hopefully Archie has got something up his sleeve or it's going to be a long season .

Se

See a rumour on facebook about a trial game for Jermaine Grandison. Anyone know any more?

I'm sure Ziggy Gordon was brought in to replace Dumbuya at right back , but going on what I saw on Tuesday night ( albeit only one game) Ziggy is never a centre half

Likewise based on Tuesday night. However, tho' I'm not certain how often he played there for Accies, I don't recall any real adverse criticism. Gut feeling is he'd be perfectly fine playing there alongside a a big established left sided centre.

Maybe splitting hairs but I feel Ziggy was brought in more than just a straight replacement for Mustapha. He certainly can cover the left back position and, even if the jury's out, I reckon right centreback was a consideration as well.