Aberdeen Vs Partick Thistle 20/08/2016

jagfox

Comments above about 3) and 7) contradicting each other. They do but things changed for the last few minutes when Welsh went off and we seemed to just go for it.

You're surely not saying that when we went down to ten men that triggered us "going for it"?

Strange game in a way as I didn't think we deserved to take anything from it yet Aberdeen were far from convincing. Scoring from a set piece and what was basically an unforced error is hardly the stuff of a championship contender.

Thought recent history repeated itself, in so much that we should have gone in at a half time at worse on equal terms. (Referring to a couple of seasons back when Lyle Taylor should've scored at least twice). This time the errors weren't maybe so blatant, and culpability certainly not down to any one player, but we need to be more clinical when we get these chances.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

You're surely not saying that when we went down to ten men that triggered us "going for it"?

Strange game in a way as I didn't think we deserved to take anything from it yet Aberdeen were far from convincing. Scoring from a set piece and what was basically an unforced error is hardly the stuff of a championship contender.

Thought recent history repeated itself, in so much that we should have gone in at a half time at worse on equal terms. (Referring to a couple of seasons back when Lyle Taylor should've scored at least twice). This time the errors weren't maybe so blatant, and culpability certainly not down to any one player, but we need to be more clinical when we get these chances.

Got to disagree , Liam's Lindsay's mistake today was totally ridiculous and I doubt you'll see a more blatant error in the games played over the weekend.

Got to disagree , Liam's Lindsay's mistake today was totally ridiculous and I doubt you'll see a more blatant error in the games played over the weekend.

Maybe my mistake, but I was referring to our missed chances in the first half, which I didn't think were quite so blatant as Lyle Taylor's misses. My only reference to Lindsay was to call it an unforced error, an opinion which I'm sure not just you and I will share. :thumbsup2:

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Azeez & Pogba....................What do you expect.......You cant win football games with 10men against strong teams. The boys are all heart but No footballing talent or a football brain at this level, which is probably around level five in English terms.......It looks like we will have to sack all the youth development staff because Archie doesn't believe they are any good. I realise we are not Man Utd, but a team of their stature, who have the confidence to play a boy at seventeen who almost saved a managers job then got an international cap at the Euro championship. but surely if we can develop a player from our own ranks who is better than Azeez & Pogba, then by all means wind up the team and sell the ground to Asda, because there's no future for us......................The end.

Lots of examples of the usual shit and snotters reaction that we see every time we lose a match. Is there any other set of fans that one week tip their team for glory and just one league game later predict armageddon?

Beat ICT = top 6

Lose Aberdeen = season of despair

Edited by ClydebankJag
  • Like 1

Welsh wanted off that pitch early. There's no doubt in my mind. It looked like a foul all day long, he picked up a yellow and then he mouthed off to Beaton for no real reason. About half a dozen Thistle fans were shouting at Welsh to ******* button it after about 20 seconds of him hurling abuse at the ref. Once he kept going you knew he was off and you can't blame the ref for that. Welsh should be embarrassed.

All in all, we were okay today. Could've been a whole different game if Amoo squared it to Azeez at our 2v1 but that's football.

• Like 2

Azeez & Pogba....................What do you expect.......You cant win football games with 10men against strong teams. The boys are all heart but No footballing talent or a football brain at this level, which is probably around level five in English terms.......It looks like we will have to sack all the youth development staff because Archie doesn't believe they are any good. I realise we are not Man Utd, but a team of their stature, who have the confidence to play a boy at seventeen who almost saved a managers job then got an international cap at the Euro championship. but surely if we can develop a player from our own ranks who is better than Azeez & Pogba, then by all means wind up the team and sell the ground to Asda, because there's no future for us......................The end.

What utter pish, we lose 2-1 to a team that is favourite to finish 2nd this season and you want us to pack it in......and you obviously haven't seen Kevin Nisbet play

My observations from today. Played well first half and at the end. Two great chances ie the two on one and Amoo squaring to Edwards. In both cases the striker needs to step back and make a better angle. Two daft free kicks given away on the edge of our box, one of which cost us dearly. Welsh fouled, mouthed, got booked then kept mouthing, giving the ref no option. Devine had a great game and Lindsay was solid but has to cut out crazy errors.Generally agree with Archie's post match comments.Lets get behind the team for the Hearts game.

Can't agree. Aberdeen have had the better of the play and have looked dangerous despite not creating guilt-edged chances: Cerny had two good saves. We've only threatened on occasion and ... they've just scored again to prove my point. I think our tactics were wrong. Long ball doesn't suit us and we created little ... we can defend just as well playing our passing game - and you give the ball away less if you do that properly. Game over now and all that remains is keeping the score down. Too negative which encourages a team like Aberdeen.

It's all about individual opinion isn't it? In my defence I posted that piece ar half time just as my mates wer away for pies/toilets etc. I also accept that posting contemporaneously, more or less , does mean that you lack a decent amount of objectivity. However, I still think that after the 90 minutes we were more than a little unlucky not to pick up something from the game, despite a certain Mr Miller's post-match reports. Incidentally, ordinal lay I find Willie Miller to be one of the few pundits I have time for as he is usually fair and above the OF-bias that seems to be de rigour amongst contemporary football commentators. Of course it could mean that I am talking out my backside and know nothing?

Other than that I found that most of the folk on my bus were disappointed, but certainly not down heartened. I think that the spectre of Tannadice had many of us fearing just what was in store for us this season and yesterday reassured me certainly: if individual errors again proved crucial.

For anyone interested I was bang in line with Lindsay when he made a mess of things and although the Dons player put pressure on him it was no more than what a central defender dwelling on the ball could reasonably expect and certainly no less than Aberdeen fans would hope for.

The main point for me was how did Lawless stay on the pitch, when it was obvious after about 5 minutes that he was having one of 'those' games that all players have when nothing goes right. As usual, I thought we missed Dools and Erskine and that although I thought that Aziz did very well up front, too often he was isolated and lacked support.

Final thought if we are going to win games we've got to be more adventurous and expansive. The high ball game is certainly not one which suits us and Pogba well...

• Like 1

I was at the game yesterday and from reading some of the earlier garbage posted many of you were not there. I have criticized Archie's tactics in the past, but yesterday he got it spot on.

Azeez and Edwards were causing all sorts of havoc early on and we retained the ball more than on any other occasion that I have been to Aberdeen. Two bad decisions cost us today, Abduls rash challenge in a dangerous area of the pitch, he should not have stayed on his feet and Lindsay's awful attempt to beat a man 25yards from his own goal was disgraceful.

To blame Archie for those errors is nonsense, tactically it was not the game to start Dools, and bringing on Erskine once the game started to stretch was the correct plan.

We are in a much better place than last year and if we get a CB (Alex Baptiste at 30 would be ideal), then we can certainly compete for top 6

• Like 1

Posts by stillresigned and Vinnyjag raised a lot of good points.

I wouldn't normally question Abdul's judgement. His job's primarily to break up play and with that job comes decision making like when to foul and when to desist making a risky tackle. So I'll pass on whether he was indirectly to blame for the first goal. Besides Osman was so way off the pace at Tannadice I might be inclined to believe he's not fully match fit yet.

I agree we need to be a bit more expansive but I'm not certain we are as well equipped for that at the moment. Our one genuine wide player, Amoo, looks a more effective player when in front of Dumbuya rather than an orthodox type full back. I hope this isn't misinterpreted but I often wish that once he has the ball in his hands Cerny would turn into Scott Fox. I much prefer to see the full backs get the ball at their feet and promptly at that. There's too many speculative punts up the park from outfield players as it is.

....I hope this isn't misinterpreted but I often wish that once he has the ball in his hands Cerny would turn into Scott Fox. I much prefer to see the full backs get the ball at their feet and promptly at that. There's too many speculative punts up the park from outfield players as it is.

Or Jonny Tuffey? He seemed to get the idea that a punt up the park is a 50-50 speculation on possession.

Welsh wanted off that pitch early. There's no doubt in my mind. It looked like a foul all day long, he picked up a yellow and then he mouthed off to Beaton for no real reason. About half a dozen Thistle fans were shouting at Welsh to ******* button it after about 20 seconds of him hurling abuse at the ref. Once he kept going you knew he was off and you can't blame the ref for that. Welsh should be embarrassed. All in all, we were okay today. Could've been a whole different game if Amoo squared it to Azeez at our 2v1 but that's football.

Just really meant to quote the last sentence of your post.

Whenever I see two Thistle players running through 2 v 1 on the keeper, I have recurring nightmares of Darren Brady and Stevie Nicholas making a total hash of it against Stranraer in the play offs about 10 years ago. So I was quite happy to see Amoo take it on himself, albeit unsuccessfully.

Edited by partickthedog

Ok I'll bite. Is it a full team we should be developing or just centre forwards that are international level? As this isn't going to happen can I take it you will be true to your word and spend the rest of your time on the Asda forum...the end.

Ok I'll bite. Is it a full team we should be developing or just centre forwards that are international level? As this isn't going to happen can I take it you will be true to your word and spend the rest of your time on the Asda forum...the end.

Agreed! Just wish Sabbath returned to his old writing font that no one could read. Would save us all the bother!

• Like 1