Transfer Deadline Day News... Pogba Offski

Lindau

Seems a good bit of business. Cheered me up lying here in a hospital bed.

Speedy recovery, GRE :thumbsup2:

Does look a good signing. Obviously be a ball player if/when he's played as a central defender, something any pairing from Frans, Seaborne and Lindsay lacked last season. His height has to come in handy as well. Not got a clue as to where Archie will play him but I'm of an opinion that when Bannigan was fit Abdul protected the back line so much better. So if Barton can go someway to give Osman some more breathing space it would be of benefit.

I feel you have to look positively on this signing. What little I've read supports that and the fact he's on a three year deal suggests he's not some sort of utility type signing. Only a few seasons ago we could have been gifted Lionel Messi and we'd still have only offered him a two year deal, no doubt with a get out clause in our favour.

Didn't really want to see Balatoni returning but was still hoping we wouldn't be be signing some sort of Andy Webster type old heid. This lad's got experience but hopefully has also his best years ahead of him. Anyway just speculation as to his quality but if he's the real deal in just one of the two positions that'll be good enough for me. Be some bonus if he's the real deal in both positions

• Like 1

It's astonishing that Pogba has bagged himself a place in a Dutch top league side. Seeing as he has been paraded at their ground today in a Sparta kit, he must have known this for a few days. Hopefully there was no pay off and that they are taking his contract on board!

Why is it astonishing? He managed to bag himself a place in a Scottish top league side.

GRE,

Get well, best wishes.

Just a question really. Archie has found some gems in lower English leagues. In fact, I think his ability to find us players where none seemed to be available has been nothing short of astonishing. This guy seems to be a cut above that.

I have a feeling this will work!

im one of Archies biggest fans but apart from Dumbaya and Amoo I wouldn't say our record in the lower leagues of England is that great. Though Amoo can at times be hot and miss

Seabourne was okay but nothing great

But mukendi, Eccleston, Carroll, Ben Richards Everton andPogba were shocking

Let's not forget Osman higgy and Lyle Taylor were all signed because of how good they had been with Scottish teams Gretna Falkirk and Falkirk and our management will have been aware of how good they were

Hopefully Azeez and Barton will be in the gems category

Where Archie has excelled in particular is getting guys who were only bit part players with teams in the Scottish leagues - Cerny, Booth, Miller etc etc

Edited by Third Lanark

apart from Dumbaya and Amoo I wouldn't say our record in the lower leagues of England is that great. Though Amoo can at times be hot and miss

Let's not forget Osman higgy and Lyle Taylor were all signed because of how good they had been with Scottish teams Gretna Falkirk and Falkirk and our management will have been aware of how good they were

Aye I'm sure Osman was signed because of how he played for a dreadful Gretna side 6 years previous.

im one of Archies biggest fans but apart from Dumbaya and Amoo I wouldn't say our record in the lower leagues of England is that great. Though Amoo can at times be hot and miss

Where Archie has excelled in particular is getting guys who were only bit part players with teams in the Scottish leagues - Cerny, Booth, Miller etc etc

At least we were signing them for free unlike managers out there paying big money for absolute flops.

I think though that early on, we maybe had more flops than successes but that recently we've had more successes than flops: and "shocking is an exaggeration for some of the 'flops' - some could have been OK but just didn't work out. Anyway my point is that we seem to be learning about that market and getting better at finding good players there. Apart from Dumbya and Seabourne (who was better than you make out, he had runs of games when he was excellent for us) Amoo is a very good player, just needs a run of games to get into his stride and I'd say Azeez will be good for us. He is strong and fast and is young and can learn - has looked very promising so far. Of recent players only Pogba was a bit of a flop and even he could be useful in some kinds of games. I still find it hard to believe he transferred to Rotterdam - did they think he was Florentin or Paul?

Ben Richards-Everton was hardly shocking. He's a first name on the team sheet every week for the Pars. I'd suggest it's a fine line between being a regular 2nd tier player and a squad player in the top tier. When we got promoted I don't recall any threads on binning Balatoni or Muirhead, In fact the latter was expected to go on to big things. Archie had to make up his mind between Ben and Liam Lindsay (Jack Hendry was about at the time as well).

For the hundredth time Mukendi didn't cost us anything. Would you turn down a free bet on an outsider? Besides he was a loan signing like Carroll.

As for Osman being that good for Gretna it was over six years later before he signed for us. And was he that good then? How you evaluate a defensive midfielder playing for a team that hardly picked up any points would be difficult enough. To not give Archie full credit for being the only Scottish manager to show enough interest to sign Abdul six or so years later is even harder.

Sure there's been guys like Eccleston and German that have flopped. They would't have been first choices (remember we were very close to signing Taylor). I just can't accept that Archie's signings from outside of Scotland haven't on the whole been successful. Even tho' Frans and Seaborne were two I'm not that unhappy to see go they did what they were brought in to do. Where we do agree is on the signing of players who were only playing cameo roles at other Scottish clubs. The three you mention are excellent signings indeed.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Up at Garscube this morning. Conrad Balatoni still training with us (although no sign of Adam Barton). Unless Archie's got a free agent coming in at centre back, I suspect Balatoni will be back with us. I know Barton can play centre half, but I think he's more likely to be intended as Bannigan's replacement. (Watched a bounce game for 10 minutes or so, Azeez scored and Declan McDaid was the best player on the park....)

How much did we pay for Barton?

Don't need to be polite about Pogba now he's gone. The guy was rank rotten. Sounds like he was a good bloke in the dressing room but on the park, a liability.

If the Dutch team weren't very good before they will be much worse now!

We should perhaps offer Conrad a deal till New Year for back up.