This Could Be Fun

lady-isobel-barnett

Hard not to laugh!

Do any of our Stattos know if Allardyce ever played against Thistle? He was with Bolton during the 70's - we played them home & away in the Anglo-Scottish Cup in around 77/78. I'm pretty sure Peter Reid was in their side -he went on to play for Everton & was one of several England players left trailing when Maradona scored his second in the Mexico World Cup but can't say I recall seeing Big Sam. I do remember Alan Hansen scored the only goal, waltzing round the keeper.

i see alan shearer is fast out the blocks bemoaning how this is all symptomatic of the money and greed in the game - meanwhile the geordie hypocrite is happy to trouser £50k per show for MOTD to sit and talk sh*te on the self styled best league ion the world

time to sit back with a bag of popcorn while they year themselves apart

Hard not to laugh!

Do any of our Stattos know if Allardyce ever played against Thistle? He was with Bolton during the 70's - we played them home & away in the Anglo-Scottish Cup in around 77/78. I'm pretty sure Peter Reid was in their side -he went on to play for Everton & was one of several England players left trailing when Maradona scored his second in the Mexico World Cup but can't say I recall seeing Big Sam. I do remember Alan Hansen scored the only goal, waltzing round the keeper.

September 1976: Big Sam played in both legs.

• Like 1

i see alan shearer is fast out the blocks bemoaning how this is all symptomatic of the money and greed in the game - meanwhile the geordie hypocrite is happy to trouser £50k per show for MOTD to sit and talk sh*te on the self styled best league ion the world

time to sit back with a bag of popcorn while they year themselves apart

seriously does shearer get £50k per MOTD appearance?what a shocking waste of tax payers money. I hate to think the further amounts of tax payers money that is wasted on some of the other supposed 'experts' who appear on that show

seriously does shearer get £50k per MOTD appearance?what a shocking waste of tax payers money. I hate to think the further amounts of tax payers money that is wasted on some of the other supposed 'experts' who appear on that show

just surmising that if fellow pundit and ex-Jag was getting 40k per how 4/5 years ago then it's likely to have risen for the others - can't vouch for the accuracy of the figure TL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055292/BBC-pundit-Alan-Hansen-rakes-40k-Match-Day-appearance.html

Let's get a few things straight. The Telegraph is a Tory controlled piece of sh*t who's owners very rarely pay any tax in the UK. If Big Sam had been from Sussex and went to Eton - they wouldn't have went near him. Entrapment is a horrible thing to do to anyone. I would seriously consider disregarding anything that comes from one of these setups, given that the whole situation is a complete lie from the start.

That said, he's been extremely stupid to get involved here, given that he had just landed his dream job at £3m a year, why would he need to chase any more money? Some of the claims he makes just strike me as showing off in an attempt to land the cash that was on offer. Another dimension to this is the fact that the FA have been the biggest outspoken critics of FIFA and UEFA in the past few years, so there was absolutely no way they could stand by Big Sam without appearing to be total hypocrites.

So I have no sympathy for big Sam, but I also have no affection for the journalists or the publication in question for bringing this whole story to light.

Look forward to the Telegraph's under cover operation in to large scale corporate tax avoidance...

• Like 4

Let's get a few things straight. The Telegraph is a Tory controlled piece of sh*t who's owners very rarely pay any tax in the UK. If Big Sam had been from Sussex and went to Eton - they wouldn't have went near him. Entrapment is a horrible thing to do to anyone. I would seriously consider disregarding anything that comes from one of these setups, given that the whole situation is a complete lie from the start.

It's true that the Telegraph is a right wing propaganda outlet for the Tory party but it's questionable if it's controlled by them. History tells us that egotistical dross like the Beaverbrooks, Rothermere's, Murdochs of this world see themselves as far more important (and powerful) than mere prime ministers. Did two of them at one time not try and set up their own political party?

Anyway to the point I don't think that if Allardyce had gone to Eton it would've made one iota of difference. The "MP expenses scandal" probably made the Tories look stupider and greedier than the other parties. Agree that entrapment and stings like this is dodgy journalism. There is tho' a place for similar type of undercover journalism. If the end product is rooting out some high ranking paedophile or hate preacher etc then imo such operations are fully justifiable.

What worries me a little is due to the high set up costs of many of these stings the newspaper in question really needs to get a result. It's fair to assume that in most cases they'll be playing the percentages by acting on prior knowledge and/or tip offs but the pressure on the journalists/hacks getting a result will be immense. There must be temptation to doctor tapes etc when the stingee is not playing along.

If the Telegraph, Tory rag as it is, does uncover dodgy dealings and crooked managers within this so called greatest league in the World and they use the same degree of scrutiny as in the expenses scandal it should be welcomed.

That said, he's been extremely stupid to get involved here, given that he had just landed his dream job at £3m a year, why would he need to chase any more money? Some of the claims he makes just strike me as showing off in an attempt to land the cash that was on offer. Another dimension to this is the fact that the FA have been the biggest outspoken critics of FIFA and UEFA in the past few years, so there was absolutely no way they could stand by Big Sam without appearing to be total hypocrites.

So I have no sympathy for big Sam, but I also have no affection for the journalists or the publication in question for bringing this whole story to light.

Look forward to the Telegraph's under cover operation in to large scale corporate tax avoidance...

Agree with your analysis entirely!

I saw that Gordon Strachan was trending on Twitter and thought he had maybe done a similar thing. But alas no. It was just because he announced his squad today.

What no Erskine! Seriously, good to see one or two youngsters in the squad though a couple of them I think are only there because of the team they play for. One sad thing stands out: good young full backs like Paterson and Robertson and good young midfielders like Burke but no sign of a good young centre half which we desperately need as our current ones apart from Hanley are aging fast. And of course no young goal-scoring centre forward.

He was also embroiled in an investigation by tory controlled piece of shit the BBC back in 2006. That contributed to the F.A.'s own investigation into corruption being extended. While the report by Lord Stevens documented no evidence of irregular payments, it did express concerns over potential conflicts of interest between Sam, his boy, and his then club Bolton.

As with that previous investigation Sam ain't the only one in the cross hairs now. Tommy Wright has just been sacked from Barnsley for taking a bung, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was targeted and the Italian owner of Leeds was taped. According to the tory controlled piece of sh*t Telegraph their 10 month investigation will reveal :

• The assistant manager of a high-profile football club accepted a £5,000 cash “bung”
  • Ten managers were named by players’ agents as taking bribes to fix player transfers
  • Two well-known managers discussed becoming ambassadors for the same fictitious firm as Sam Allardyce
  • Another high-profile manager admitted his players broke FA rules by betting on their own games but he failed to report it
  • A senior figure at a Premier League club helped undercover reporters to formulate a plan to bribe manager

I imagine the reason Sam is the headline is his position was the highest profile and had the greatest potential for a conflict of interest abuse. As England gaffer, he could arguably offer the greatest influence over players' potential market value. For example, one of his far eastern audience with a stake in a player offers him a bung for a cap.

The F.A.'s crusade on FIFA/UEFA is definitely a factor in Sam's demise, but also the most likely inspiration for the tory controlled piece of sh*t launching a 10 month investigation into the domestic game. Sam may have had a slim defence in that it is reported his agent stated Allardyce would “have to run it past the powers that be” before he could commit to anything. However, with the FA's stance on corruption and such a broad attempt to expose dodgy deals down the leagues of England, the Top Boy has got to be squeaky clean.

I wouldn't defend him, but I do have some sympathy for Sam. He shouldn't have gone anywhere near this. Part of being a successful competitive sportsman is facing up to the challenges others set for you, recognising the pitfalls, not yielding to temptation of the easy options and keeping your eyes on the main prize. He was the England manager and he went for a cheap shot. He was set up, but..... He done f*cked up. I think he probably knows it.

Sam is also reported as saying, “The most corrupt business in our country would be what? You’ll be shocked when I tell you this – HMRC.".

• Like 1