Archie Offski?

Lindau

Tom, so you are saying if he goes now his CV will still be intact? Id very much doubt he would be thinking like that.

If all we can 'expect' is 10th every season because we are a small club is it any wonder we get low crowds? People will come to see a successful team with ambitions of winning something, like we had better crowds when we won the league. Why should we go to ibrox and places like that if we know we wont win? Does nobody have anything else better to do on a saturday than to spend a small fortune to watch us get beat? As for this is the way its been for 33 years, as someone has already said, that is loser talk. We have a platform to build now with the youth setup and off the field issues seemingly improving. There is no reason why we cant do better.

At least this thread has had the benefit of identifying the bellends on here, allowing us to tidy up our Ignore List.

Haha. And there it is. The thing I love the most about this forum. The rose tinted spectacle brigade who block people if they dare say something negative or opposite to the majority. Sad sad existence it must be living in a big happy clappy zombie world where everyone agrees with what you say. Still happy to say I've never blocked anyone on here and never will.

• Like 2

Haha. And there it is. The thing I love the most about this forum. The rose tinted spectacle brigade who block people if they dare say something negative or opposite to the majority. Sad sad existence it must be living in a big happy clappy zombie world where everyone agrees with what you say. Still happy to say I've never blocked anyone on here and never will.

Bit rich Legend especially when you go into hibernation when the team is playing well.

*sounds of tumbleweed*

I'm pleased Archie & Shaggy are staying to lead the Jags

Managers come and managers go - some are sacked - rightly or wrongly - some leave because they are wanted by other clubs and go on to bigger and better things. others leave for money, still more leave because they think they are better than they really are and are usually found out - the permutations are endless.

In my time of following the club there have been good managers, adequate managers, lucky managers, unlucky managers, bad managers, terrible managers, awful managers ..........and, of course, one magnificent manager. Personally I have always taken the view that you shouldn't become too attached to any one single manager - although I will admit that the close season in 1974 was, for me, an unhappy moment in the club's history.

• Like 2

Managers come and managers go - some are sacked - rightly or wrongly - some leave because they are wanted by other clubs and go on to bigger and better things. others leave for money, still more leave because they think they are better than they really are and are usually found out - the permutations are endless.

In my time of following the club there have been good managers, adequate managers, lucky managers, unlucky managers, bad managers, terrible managers, awful managers ..........and, of course, one magnificent manager. Personally I have always taken the view that you shouldn't become too attached to any one single manager - although I will admit that the close season in 1974 was, for me, an unhappy moment in the club's history.

Remember it well JD. When a legend like Davie McParland left over Strachangate, think most of us were worried. Still wee Bertie came in and steadied the ship

Edited by Lindau

There are threads started everyday with contributors offering alternate views that are discussed on this forum. You may see your content as a different opinion however as far as I am concerned you only ever focus on the negative which in itself can be accepted however it is not just negative but is often ridiculously critical and disrespectful to the club, manager, players or fellow fans. Just in this thread alone you implied Archie only won the league because it was someone else's team. This is a manager who won the championship and has secured our premiership status for three seasons yet you glibly dismiss these achievements.

I suspect I am wasting my time here but when you get indignant and take the high ground with those that choose to ignore you pause and ask yourself why. Feel free to retort with a happy clapper type response I personally won't ignore you however I don't value your opinion, not because it usually differs to mine but just because there is no rational or reasoning to it.

• Like 3

Tom, so you are saying if he goes now his CV will still be intact? Id very much doubt he would be thinking like that.

If all we can 'expect' is 10th every season because we are a small club is it any wonder we get low crowds? People will come to see a successful team with ambitions of winning something, like we had better crowds when we won the league. Why should we go to ibrox and places like that if we know we wont win? Does nobody have anything else better to do on a saturday than to spend a small fortune to watch us get beat? As for this is the way its been for 33 years, as someone has already said, that is loser talk. We have a platform to build now with the youth setup and off the field issues seemingly improving. There is no reason why we cant do better.

We're currently watching our most successful team in decades (not specifically this season, but these last few years as a whole), and attendances have been dropping steadily since promotion. I understand prices have risen, but our attendance really is poor considering this is as good a team as we've had in a long, long time.

I really don't know what we can do to draw bigger crowds. Would the success of, say, a top 6 finish and Cup run really change much? A club like St Johnstone who are a mainstay in the top 6 and have qualified for Europe 3 or 4 years in a row are barely getting more in the gate than we are. Inverness won the Scottish Cup and nothing changed up there. Clubs like Kilmarnock and Motherwell's attendances are on a downward trajectory as well and much like ourselves I doubt they'd see any kind of massive spike if they were challenging for stuff. I don't think you can argue success would make any significant difference to our crowds, unfortunately.

It depends how you define success. Staving off relegation the first 2 seasons i would class as fairly successful. Repeatedly avoiding relegation with no decent cup runs begins to get tedious and naturally people might not have the same enthusiasm. Our attendances in the league triumph where higher. Anyway we have Archie, were in for another long season. We will be there to support us through it and hope next season lessons have been learned and maybe we can reach a semi final or even god forbid take something off the old firm

Are you actually a Thistle fan ?

I don't remember you making many if any supportive comments about Thistle.

Amazingly yes even after 25 years supporting them and getting about 2 seasons in every 10 that are enjoyable. Just find the current team and onfield setup to be utterly utterly infuriating and depressing. Same old same old panning out and any sensible realistic fan can see where it is ultimately headed. Sorry I voice that on here and people don't want to hear it. We can't score, our defence can't keep a clean sheet and our manager has no plan B. We are worse than last year. Let's face facts people. Change of manager could've been exactly what we needed. Instead we'll stumble on with Archie (Sure he's a great guy etc..) but the squad he has assembled is not good enough.

• Like 1

Legend, put things in perspective ffs.

You do remember the teams put out by the Bunnet? And you still say that the Jags today play unimaginatively?

Archie has tried to get the team actually playing football. For that we should be grateful.

Trust me I have lived through many a grim season watching Thistle but my current frustration is Archie's total stubborness or ignorance to the fact that his tactics are not working. I love that we keep it down and pass teams to death but we are clueless and toothless in the final third and that continually comes back to bite us because we have such a porrus defence. Ultimately though, what is the point in playing pretty football if it leads to relegation. It appears to me that tactically he only seems to know one way to set up the team but sadly we currently don't have the personnel to make it work. If I could genuinely see efforts on the pitch to mix up and change our style and formation from week to week, I could cut Archie some slack. Sadly this is not the case and currently I cannot see how we are going to turn this slump around.

• Like 1

For all that there may be a distasteful element in criticism, TLB does make some valid points that relate to the approach of our management. IMHO a club with our level of finances is not really in a position to determine one system and force it on all teams because the finances don't exist to go out and purchase new players that will slot into vacancies.

To give him his credit, Ian McCall was better at cutting his coat to suit his cloth, by setting up a team to take advantage of the players he had available. Archie has indeed shown an inflexibility in this aspect of team management and the price is paid in league position (because of goals not scored and not defended). For example, this has resulted in Doolan, our most capable scorer, often being left on the bench, or alternatively being allowed to run himself into the ground before being substituted for another single striker. Substitutions that change the formation are rarely made timeously, if at all, even where sound tactics call for it.

There is an inherent conservatism that might even have been desirable in an inexperienced manager or coach, but surely that is no longer the case and more flexibility both in setting out a team and in changing tactics during matches is a skill that should be coming to the fore now. Sadly, that does not seem to be the case.

• Like 4