January Transfer Window

Paolo

Him n Erskine were probably our two best players.

Erskine was indeed our best player, until he was inexplicably subbed.

But Gordon? Best player? Really? And you accuse others of trolling.

So pray tell, other than preventing the cross for the first goal and letting McGregor coast in for the 4th, what did he do that deserves such an accolade?

Erskine was indeed our best player, until he was inexplicably subbed.

But Gordon? Best player? Really? And you accuse others of trolling.

So pray tell, other than preventing the cross for the first goal and letting McGregor coast in for the 4th, what did he do that deserves such an accolade?

Mcgregor was Welsh's man. From the moment the ball goes out to Izaguire he is Welsh's man. Nothing to do with Gordon.

Do you expect Gordon to stop every single cross?

I must have been watching a different game. Gordon was poor, especially at the first goal. He should never have allowed that cross to get over. I was delighted when he signed, but he has been a major disappointment to say the least.

Overall opinion aside, I'm more concerned about neither Lindsay or Booth getting anywhere near the run at the back post.

Gordon can't be expected to stop every single attack down our right. Especially when he has no support from Amoo. The ones he can't stop, the rest of the team need to cover.

Barton covered the front post, Lindsay and Booth were miles off at the back post.

Do you expect Gordon to stop every single cross?

I expect him to stop the ball coming in when he's as close to the player as he was.

Yes, the defending inside the box should have been better but Gordon should have stopped the ball coming in in the first place.

Edited by Big Col

Gordon is taking a bit of stick over the 1st goal. He was just outdone by a quick ball into the box by Griffiths. Lindsay had the chance to intercept, but I think he thought Cerny was going to get it.

We can discuss whether Griffiths should have had the space to make that cross forever and a day. But one thing is obvious - Stuart Armstrong, probably the in-form player in Scotland right now, went 30 metres absolutely unchallenged by any Jags player to arrive in front of three Jags players to score a tap-in.

Why was that allowed to happen?

• Like 2

Having seen the goals again the defence is absolutley abysmal. Even given that it was against a team of Celtic quality that level of defending isn't acceptable .

There is no communication between the players , no awareness of opposition players and no support or closing down once a defender has been beat.

Every minute of every trainng session until the next game should be spent trying to improve the defence as a unit.

I can't belive Archie and Shaggy, of all people, can turn out a back line that disorganised.

• Like 1

Two things are clear, we need another central defender and another striker in, in January. We are well covered elsewhere. Lot has been said about Azeez this season, but for me anyway, Kris Doolan hasn't been at the races for most of this season. With a hopefully fully fit Muzzy and Cerny back in the defence, if we can get another central defender in, things will hopefully improve at the back, but we badly need a predator striker (as do most clubs) The fact that Liam Lindsay has scored more goals that Azeez and Doolan put together, sums up the problems we have had this season. If the AGM is anything to go by, we appear to be in half decent shape financially. Might be that the board need to push the boat out in January to get us over the line this season, then if things work out as they should, we should have four Sellick/Sevco home games next season which should fill the coffers. Looks like the play off could be difficult this season, so we have a lot of work ahead to get out of this situation.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

Having seen the goals again the defence is absolutley abysmal. Even given that it was against a team of Celtic quality that level of defending isn't acceptable .

There is no communication between the players , no awareness of opposition players and no support or closing down once a defender has been beat.

Every minute of every trainng session until the next game should be spent trying to improve the defence as a unit.

I can't belive Archie and Shaggy, of all people, can turn out a back line that disorganised.

Apart from the strikers who should be spending every minute of every training session improving the ratio of shots hitting the target. You don't win games if you don't score and it is more important for us that we start to win some games

Good teams start by building at the back. You start a game at 0-0, if you don't concede , you get at least a point. The foundation of our good seasons before has always been a solid defence

Leaking goals put more pressure on the whole team.

As well as poor individual performances we are a disorganised mess at the back. Sort that out, and the rest will follow.

Edited by angry gaz

Interesting remark from Archie on his BBC post match interview.

"We won't win games unless we keep clean sheets."

It might not have been what he meant, but what I take from thar is that we are scoring so few goals, we need zero against, to even look like winning.

With that in mind, it's not just Azeez & Doolan who should be having the spotlight on them, but Amoo, Lawless, Erskine and Edwards.

After watching most of the current run of games, it strikes me that just about the whole spine of the team is composed of players who seem unable to turn easily or quickly. Welsh and Osman are obvious examples, but this is also true of Erskine, Lindsay and Barton. Part of the solution to that may be making more use of players like Edwards, Elliott and Booth in the centre, but (warning - my hobby horse!) part of it may lie in training some of these players to use their less favoured foot more so that they become more flexible. (How can a professional footballer not practise using his weaker foot? :o ) As things stand, it seems that opposing teams in possession just turn a little and easily get past our midfield into the danger area.

Of course, adding a development team player might contribute this missing element without even spending anything.

I don't see us adding a striker in January. Nisbet will come back from loan and be included. A centre back is possible, but I think a lot rests on whether Muzzy is likely to be fit around the time of the window closing.

We seem to have a whole squad struggling for form this season. We haven't managed to go on a run and the team seems to have been different every week.

Good teams start by building at the back. You start a game at 0-0, if you don't concede , you get at least a point. The foundation of our good seasons before has always been a solid defence

As well as poor individual performances we are a disorganised mess at the back. Sort that out, and the rest will follow.

I understand what you are saying, but if we knew we could score 2 or 3 goals every game, there would be less pressure on the defence and from an entertainment point of view I would prefer to watch 3-2 s or 4-3 s as opposed to 1-0s . It would probably attract more fans to the games as well.

I can't argue with that but it gets a bit chicken an egg when we lose the ball so often in midfield and invite more pressure onto the defence. Similarly the defenders and goalie don't exactly help themselves by such a slack and slow build up from the back, which in turn inevitably involves a panicked punt up the park (often as not from the goalie). Inevitably we then make no attack, have no possession and the ball's back at the defenders' dodgy feet once again. That was rarely in evidence when Fox, Balatoni and SOD were playing. In fact goals often came from good speedy defensive play. For all their defensive frailties they at least didn't invite extra pressure that the current defence does. That was my major beef with Seaborne and Frans and I maintain last season's good defensive record had much to do with the form of Cerny and Osman.

We appear to defend set plays a lot better these days (if recent stats are to be relied on). It's mainly slip ups and/or poor collective positioning from open play that's costing us dearly. If we can't cure the errors at least play the percentages.

• Members

Azeez get's himself into some great positions. I still think he can come good. He's not been finishing but there's little else to criticise about how he plays. I reckon he misses a chance and his head starts to go down. If he could get an early goal in a game and get a confidence boost, he's got the attributes to go on and totally destroy a defence. It's also easy to forget he's still relatively young (23 next month).

• Like 3

We are nearly half way through the season and I think he only has 1 league goal. I like the guy. He holds the ball up well. He has pace. I suspect he's a great man to have around the dressing room.

But we simply cant afford his profligacy in front of goal any longer. How many points has he cost us? Lyle Taylor was probably Archie's best signing and a similar type of player but he scored some vital goals.

I sincerely hope you are right, Willjag. Every time I see Azeez I am willing him to score. But it never happens!

Perhaps he'll score a barrowload in December and prove me wrong. I hope so but I would punt him in January if possible if matters dont improve.

Perhaps he'll score a barrowload in December and prove me wrong. I hope so but I would punt him in January if possible if matters dont improve.

Do you think it would reflect well on the club if they took your stance?

We'll sign you... but if you don't hit the ground running, you're out the door at the next window. How do you think a club with such a reputation would look, to potential signings or their agents?

Did you have the same attitude towards Doolan?

Do you think it would reflect well on the club if they took your stance?

We'll sign you... but if you don't hit the ground running, you're out the door at the next window. How do you think a club with such a reputation would look, to potential signings or their agents?

Did you have the same attitude towards Doolan?

I can see your point but regarding Doolan I think people get confused he wasnt immediately put out on loan to Clyde. He actually signed in the January transfer window and had to adapt quickly to the team I think he scored 5 or 6 goals in the first few months he was with us - he actually pretty much hit the ground running and did very well when you think one week he was playing for Auchinlek Talbot in the Junior leagues and within a week was playing for Partick Thistle
  • Like 1

PT, if you employ someone in a normal job they are on a 3 month probation. If he is to get the same treatment as doolan, farm him out on loan or play him in the 20s. I dont know what else people need to see. He might develope eventually but hes no better than a under 20s player. He might be strong and fast bit he has too much to learn. He cant even strike the ball which for a striker is a shambles

Yet again we fans demand loyalty from the players but if anyone is toiling then we advocate cutting them without any tolerance, irrespective of contracts given and life plans made. If Azeez had rattled in the goals and then demanded we cut his contract and let him go to someone better then you'd all be outraged. Ultimately Archie will decide when a players time is up, I'm sure though he'll do it with more class than most of you are capable of showing.

• Like 6