Jags V Saints 01/02/2017

Lindau

First question is this. If you had the choice of winning just one of the upcoming games with them, would you want the league game or the cup game? Hard one to call. As much as I want a great cup run, finishing in the Top 6 could mean a big financial boost for the club, with Celtic and Sevco due at Firhill in the last round of games. As for the game, Abdul will definitely be back and I think Dools will start up front. Have a feeling Keown might keep his place with Danny on the bench

1-0 (and 5 shut outs in a row for the defence)

Edited by Lindau

league game every time! I watched the highoight os thr Dt J vd Accies last night and thought Accies could have been 1 or 2 up plus Crawford missed a 1 on 1.our attack can hopefully get at them,Accies defence was brutal right enough, but 3-0 probably flattered St J.

Edited by jags on tour
  • Like 1

First question is this. If you had the choice of winning just one of the upcoming games with them, would you want the league game or the cup game? Hard one to call. As much as I want a great cup run, finishing in the Top 6 could mean a big financial boost for the club, with Celtic and Sevco due at Firhill in the last round of games. As for the game, Abdul will definitely be back and I think Dools will start up front. Have a feeling Keown might keep his place with Danny on the bench

1-0 (and 5 shut outs in a row for the defence)

Cup game.

What is the second question?

Pass....lol

If you could win a cup and be pretty much consistent top 6, but to achieve that, give up all notion of watching an entertaining game ever again.

Or...

Aspire to achieve top 6 as a milestone of continual progress. Hope upon hope of something resembling a cup run whilst maybe not always, but knowing that your team are trying to entertain and play "football".

Which would it be?

If you could win a cup and be pretty much consistent top 6, but to achieve that, give up all notion of watching an entertaining game ever again.

Or...

Aspire to achieve top 6 as a milestone of continual progress. Hope upon hope of something resembling a cup run whilst maybe not always, but knowing that your team are trying to entertain and play "football".

Which would it be?

So, St Johnstone or Partick Thistle?

• Like 1

Re Lindau's question. No doubt with me that I'd rather win the Cup game. Firstly losing to St J in the league is not a six pointer and it's not that unlikely when we look back on the league season the result turns out to be academic. Secondly staying in the Cup, if only to go out in the next round, could still produce a money spinning tie. Put another way we can lose in the league and still end up top six, with whatever financial bonuses that brings, but lose the Cup game and we'll be definitely worse off.

I think Archie will go 3 at the back tomorrow night, Lindsay, Barton and Keown. 5 across the middle Elliott, Osman, Welsh, Edwards/Lawless Booth. Dolan Azeez/Erskine.

St J posters on other forums saying they are not the best at playing against 352.

Hopefully nobody turns up tomorrow night Vinny, yourself included :)

St Johnstone won at a canter in the first game at Firhill - hopefully not a repeat on Wednesday - league game much more important than the cup imo but would take a draw on Wed if we could get a replay in the cup.

You want to play St Johnstone three times in quick succession? :o

Kidding. I'd take that as well.

• Like 1

Or...

Which would it be?

Option A above sounds a load of Tommy Wright

We have had this discussion every season since we came up. Theres no reason why we shouldnt win both. The league game is at home, we undoubtedly need to improve our home record. The cup game should be treated like it is, a cup final as it is a knock out competition, which again we need to improve our record. We need to get erskine on the ball more than he did at Inverness. The only glimmer of hope of us scoring in that second half was when he ran with the ball, but it didn't happen anywhere near enough

A mate who's not that much into football asked me why we had a winter shut down and then play fixtures in midweek in January. Can't say I could come up with a sensible reply.

Anyone?

Not to mention 7 or 8 games in December !

There's one reason right there. It gives fans a financial break after a congested lead up to Christmas.

Anyway getting back on topic does Banton come in to start as our creativity has been lacking or as is more likely does he sit on the bench and get the last ten or fifteen minutes if he's lucky?

I fancy going with the 3-5-2 that was effective against St Johnstone back in October. This could get a boost with Dumbaya starting and alternating with Booth in getting forward.

The defence showed up well on Saturday so it is up to Archibald if Devine comes in or Niall Keown keeps his place.

In the middle Osman will come back in alongside Welsh. For the attacking point I'd go with Erskine. With Barton playing as a liberal type this means we have the flexibility to go to a diamond 4-4-2 when required.

Up front I'd go Azeez and Doolan as they'll keep pressure on the Saintees back line and might have to create some of their own chances.

Cerny

Keown/ Devine Barton Lindsay

Dumbuya Osman Welsh Booth

Erskine

Azeez Doolan

Subs: Rodgers, Elliott, Devine/ Keown, Banton, Lawless, Edwards, Amoo

Edited by jagfox